What's new

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Dies at 83: Press Trust of India

(Here come whatsapp message )Former President APJ Abdul Kalam has passed away in Shillong, The Quint has been able to confirm. He collapsed while delivering a lecture at IIM-Shillong.
Dr John Sailo, CEO, Bethany Hospital, Shillong confirmed to The Quint over the phone that Dr Kalam was brought dead to the hospital.
Speaking to The Quint, David Sailo, Managing Director of Bethany Hospital said he was brought to the hospital at 7pm without a pulse or any other sign of life, and that efforts were made to revive him. At 7:45 pm, Dr Kalam was declared dead, he said. When asked what the cause of death was he said, “As for the cause of death, difficult to say, but it may have been a cardiac event.”

84-year-old Kalam was rushed to Bethany hospital in Nongrim hills after he collapsed during the lecture in the Indian Institute of Management at around 6.30 PM.
Following is the life and times of the former president.

- Kalam served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007.

- He was born and raised in Rameswarama, Tamil Nadu and studied physics and aerospace engineering.

- A major part of his life was spent mainly at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

- He was involved in the India's civilian space program and military missile development efforts.

- He was known as the Missile Man of India for his work on the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology.

- He played an pivotal role in India's Pokhran-II nuclear tests in 1998, the first since the original nuclear test by India in 1974.

- In 2002, Kalam was elected the President of India in 2002 with the support of the both the ruling BJP and the Opposition Congress.

- Kalam received several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honor.

All India | Edited by Deepshikha Ghosh | Updated: July 27, 2015 21:15 IST

apj-abdul-kalam-650-ap_650x400_71438008626.jpg

File photo of former President APJ Abdul Kalam (Associated Press photo)

SHILLONG: Former President APJ Abdul Kalam died on Monday at a hospital in Meghalaya, where he had gone to deliver a lecture at the Indian Institute of Management in Shillong, reports Press Trust of India. He was 83.

Dr Kalam reportedly collapsed on stage at the IIM in Shillong and was rushed to hospital.

Dr Kalam was the 11th President on India between 2002 and 2007.

Doctors say he suffered from a cardiac arrest.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted, "Deeply saddened at the sudden demise of the former president of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. He was an inspiration to an entire generation."

Dr Kalam was born in Rameswaram on October 15, 1931, to a boatman.

He played a pivotal role in India's Pokhran-II nuclear test in 1998, the first since the test by India in 1974. He was known as the missile man of India.

For his achievements, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan and Bharat Ratna, and then he became the 11th President of India in 2002.

I don't know how to put this but really i was not expecting this.
This came as a shock i am deeply saddened.
I wish i had been in india.
:(

RIP Sir.....A true patriot...you are the source of inspiration of millions of indians..and this great soul passed away while igniting the minds of young people in IIM...at his last moment too he served the country..
your loss can't be replaced sir....it can't be.:(:(

00-FB-Share-Pic5.jpg

Going to Shillong with two of my friends.Hope to atleast get a chance to pay last respects.

Your lucky man. I am far away in Tinsukia. Take some flowers from my side to.
Really we have lost a true hero, a legend we always looked upon. Feeling really sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom