What's new

Forbidden Love Wins Pakistani Hearts as TV Tackles Social Taboos.

Is it very hard for you to not associate Islam with such extremism? So if one opposes Turkish drama he is automatically labeled "radical" mullah". You should have learned one thing from your post, that you are being "ignorant".

Instead of being a fountain of the word "ignorant".. you should have summarized that it is question for proposal of an alternative to provide people with constructive past-times..

And fountains.. usually go up.. and come down on themselves.

Does Pakistan has any censor board for TV shows?

I mean if they think that this show has a bit of adult content then they could cut some of the scenes or telecast it late night so that it doesn't have much impact on children.

Or there could be some creteria for prime time shows which forbids adult content or give some specific time slot for adult TV shows n prime time should be left for comedy n family shows, just a suggestion.

In India i see that these days almost all the illicit scenes r cut from the movies when they r telecasted on TV n people also have the option to file a complain about TV shows, if they feel that the content is not right...:)

So don't u guys have any regulatory authority to watch over like u have for the movies???:what:

Turkish Dramas are quite liberal compared to Pakistani Dramas. But they do offer a few great pickup lines in case any of you are passing by Turkiye. ;)

But anyone who says watching is "immortal" is stupid. Just because the Turks decided to make dramas from stories each of you openly talk about with your friends is a hypocrite.

Your probably all complaining because of the awkwardness when your watching prime time tv with your parents or elders.

Instead of being a fountain of the word "ignorant".. you should have summarized that it is question for proposal of an alternative to provide people with constructive past-times..

And fountains.. usually go up.. and come down on themselves.

Your post is a portray of yourself.

Does Pakistan has any censor board for TV shows?

I mean if they think that this show has a bit of adult content then they could cut some of the scenes or telecast it late night so that it doesn't have much impact on children.

Or there could be some creteria for prime time shows which forbids adult content or give some specific time slot for adult TV shows n prime time should be left for comedy n family shows, just a suggestion.

In India i see that these days almost all the illicit scenes r cut from the movies when they r telecasted on TV n people also have the option to file a complain about TV shows, if they feel that the content is not right...:)

So don't u guys have any regulatory authority to watch over like u have for the movies???:what:

Buddy here in pakistan our economy sucks, lack of basic necessity so the society has an absurd perception that the only way to progress is to become shameless.

What alternative do you offer him? Radicalization? A suicide jacket?
If I as an Indian would have made this comment, then i would have been thrown out toot-sweet like a pent up "fountain" to be seen in pink for the next six months ; But well a Mod does have his privileges.

I hope this vulgar incest themed drama is not broadcasted in India. Let it be limited to Islamic countries.

What alternative do you offer him? Radicalization? A suicide jacket?

I agree with you. Much better to think of getting women in this life rather than assuming the only women you get will come after one has blown himself up. In any case, I have always found thinking of Islamic extremists weird. Oppose any contact with women & men in this life but promise the men many women in the hereafter. Absolutely bewildering.

Your post is a portray of yourself.

Buddy here in pakistan our economy sucks, lack of basic necessity so the society has an absurd perception that the only way to progress is to become shameless.

Presumably living with and in poverty is not shameless?? lack of basic necessities not shameless?? Working women shameless?? Living as wife number (fill in the blanks) not shameless??

I realize that you fret over the ethics and morality of society, but I encourage you to be more precise - not just for your sake but all of us who enjoy reading you.

Some of us are too preoccupied with a particular religiosity - what clothes to wear and not wear, what society must look like, in the sense that if the outward appearance is acceptable then all kinds of hypocrisy is tolerable and of course social problems need not be discussed, simply more display of religiosity will suffice --- Shows such as "Forbidden Love" (just think of the Title) is what Pakistani society seems to be thirsty for , because the reality of Pakistani society is that the veneer of outward display of religiosity is now a compromise they make, not for the sake of religion but for the security of their families and themselves, where as the reality of their lives, that is to say their experience, aspiration and the values they are attracted to. are better represented than in the kinds of tripe Pakistani drama shows have been presenting.

And they were complaining about indian drama serials ?? Now Turkey is right for the tharkeys.

Are you sure "conservative" is correct word to use ? If yes, then "socially conservative"?? with regard to what? Cars, driving, telephone, women working - please help me understand

i personally believe and always believed that we call hestitation in watching bold scenes or material along with our immediate family members as conservatisim otherwise almost 90% or the familhy group wouldl like to watch it if alone.

I think its natural hesitation there is some natural distance embarrassing scenes are avoided by families in a large section of society in most of the countries in this region.

for breaking taboos everyone cant go allout and watch adult stuff along with his daughter or granddaughter in our part of the world. Can you do that without feeling embarrassed?

for breaking taboos gradual change is the lasting and good one. NOT an abrupt one.

i personally believe and always believed that we call hestitation in watching bold scenes or material along with our immediate family members as conservatisim otherwise almost 90% or the familhy group wouldl like to watch it if alone.

I think its natural hesitation there is some natural distance embarrassing scenes are avoided by families in a large section of society in most of the countries in this region.

for breaking taboos everyone cant go allout and watch adult stuff along with his daughter or granddaughter in our part of the world. Can you do that without feeling embarrassed?

for breaking taboos gradual change is the lasting and good one. NOT an abrupt one.

The question was whether "conservative" is the right word for the "embarrassment" you feel? - it is obviously not - Do you watch as you put it it "bold scenes"? and are there not varying degrees of tolerances for bold scenes? So then does the word "conservative" suggest varying degrees of tolerance for bold scenes?? It obviously does not --

Clearly no one has suggested that "adult" which if I not mistaken in you mean to be x rated, is appropriate fare for the general public airways, however, do remember that you have the option of tuning out by turning the channel or simply not watching - why this extra-ordinary emphasis to deny others or to ensure that their viewing habits conform to yours? Or have I misunderstood?

The question was whether "conservative" is the right word for the "embarrassment" you feel? - it is obviously not - Do you watch as you put it it "bold scenes"? and are there not varying degrees of tolerances for bold scenes? So then does the word "conservative" suggest varying degrees of tolerance for bold scenes?? It obviously does not --

Clearly no one has suggested that "adult" which if I not mistaken in you mean to be x rated, is appropriate fare for the general public airways, however, do remember that you have the option of tuning out by turning the channel or simply not watching - why this extra-ordinary emphasis to deny others or to ensure that their viewing habits conform to yours? Or have I misunderstood?

I think what i said was what you are saying.

Let me rephrase . :) I believe there is NOTHING called conservative. Its just that every one of us want to watch and use and do what others are doing in terms of (anti-taboo thingy). But most of us still want to show a fake outer-layer to the world since our society's mentality is that if you dont see anything in public then it never took place . everything is ok as long as it takes behind the door.

Your seem very concerned about sex - as long as it's not you, why not just live and let live - uneducated and frustrated, these things do not necessarily but often do go together -- What we should be focusing on is what the popularity of the show says about the attitudes that Pakistanis seem to want to associate themselves with -- obviously Pakistanis seem to be saying, with their approval, is that romantic love is something they attribute with positives in life, that the victory of love over all obstacles is a social value that they approve of -- and notice nowhere in the show is the overdose of religiosity - all the characters of the show are Muslims - the other thing to note is that the show presents a complex view of society and of INDIVIDUALS - something Pakistanis relate with - after all look at the female lead and her struggle in life, she get involved with someone she regrets being involved with, is divorced, works, and is in love again, life is reaffirmed, love if affirmed, the human spirit affirmed. What there not to life, even the uneducated have complex lives.

Yes, I am concerned with the vulgar associations that Pakistani women may have to put up with. But it's not the only issue. There is too much liberalization on display in that show and the problem with us is that our society is not mature enough to handle that.

Romantic love is just one aspect of the show; it's making taboos seem like normal, everyday things. Would you find this agreeable. This is the sort of dramas we can't watch with family members without embarrassing ourselves.

For us, modernization automatically translates to westernization for some reason. If we can't separate the two, then where are we headed?

Yes, I am concerned with the vulgar associations that Pakistani women may have to put up with. But it's not the only issue. There is too much liberalization on display in that show and the problem with us is that our society is not mature enough to handle that.

Romantic love is just one aspect of the show; it's making taboos seem like normal, everyday things. Would you find this agreeable. This is the sort of dramas we can't watch with family members without embarrassing ourselves.

For us, modernization automatically translates to westernization for some reason. If we can't separate the two, then where are we headed?

That was a great post - you confirm what the lead of the thread outlines, because your social melieu is one where you are "protected" from the reality of social interaction, your exposure to it causes you discomfort - after all what would tribal mind set be without it's cherished Taboos?

And of course to each their own, it's best you not watch the show, no?/yes?

Is modernization Westernization? As long as you do not realize and own what modernity is, then yes, it is - see when you buy a tool, you buy the ideas behind it's creation -- "modern" is a art criticism term, it originally refers to a skewed perspective, that is to say "not tradition bound" -- of course for different social strata, "tradition" means different things.

Thank you for a great post, I really appreciated it.

Back
Top Bottom