What's new

Forbes most innovative companies : India registers two in top ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
List based on bubble stock is BS. SalesForce is one of the high priced bubble stock with P/E 400.
Nothing innovative they are. They have just hosted subscription model application.

"Unilever" is one of the biggest European brandnames in the world.

Just because you add "Hindustan" before it, doesn't change the fact that the company and the brandname are both owned by Europeans.

For example, is "Google China" a Chinese company? Of course not. Just because they hire Chinese people and base their headquarters in China (HK), doesn't make them a Chinese company.

What about Microsoft China? It would be hilarious if I were trying to claim the achievements of these two companies as "Chinese companies", just because they have a Western brandname with the word "China" thrown in.

If Hindustan Lever is a European company, shouldn't they put Unilever, the parent company in the list and not Hindustan Unilever?

HUL is a joint venture.

It's neither complete European nor Indian.

Unilever is a European company, based out of Britain and the Netherlands.

The Hindustan Unilever brandname belongs to the Europeans, and they have majority ownership (i.e. they own it). So it hardly qualifies as an "Indian" company.

may be; but BHEL is 100 % Indian company.

formed in India, belongs to India and run by Indians.

100% Indian company.

HUL is a joint venture.

It's neither complete European nor Indian.

It is owned by Unilever, one of the biggest European brandnames.

According to that logic, I could claim Google China or Microsoft China as "Chinese companies". :P

Well actually as per Indian Companies act 1952,
Any company which is incorporated in India ,whose management is Indian and whose meeting of board of directors is held in India ,
Is classified as an Indian company

Let me give u an egs
Maruti Udyog limited was an Indian Public sector carmaker
In the yr 2004, Government of India dis invested the company and Suzuki Motor Corp picked up 54% stake in the company , while rest of shares were picked up by common people and the company was listed on BSE sensex
But still the company is classified as Indian co even though now it is called as Maruti Suzuki India Ltd , last yr the company sold over 1.2 Million cars

It is same as the fact that jaguar and LandRover are classified as British carmakers even though they are owned by TaTa Motors of India and Volvo is classified as a Swedish carmaker even though it is owned Chinese carmaker Geely

it is Indian companies act 1956 not 1952.

as i was commerce student i know

anyways thanks for info :cheers:

It is owned by Unilever, one of the biggest European brandnames in the world.

Its not "100%" owned by Unilever.

Unilever is 52% and GoI is 48%.

The board has members from both Europe and India.

The company has an Indian Chairman and Indian CEO and caters to the Indian market.

According to that logic, I could claim Google China or Microsoft China as "Chinese companies". :P

Then Forbes should have included Unilever in the list , not HUL ....

If Hindustan Unilever was the same as Unilever, why is the former 6th on the list and the latter 74th? :disagree:

Unilever is 52% and GoI is 48%.

The board has members from both Europe and India.

Yes, majority ownership belongs to Unilever, i.e. they own it. The brandname itself is Unilever, and is owned by Unilever.

The company has an Indian Chairman and Indian CEO and caters to the Indian market.

Google China is run by Chinese people, for the Chinese market.

LOL just because they add the name of your country hardly makes it yours, especially when the brandname and ownership are both European.

brother,
hindustan unilever was formed in 1933 as Lever Brothers India Limited and came into being in 1956 as Hindustan Lever Limited through a merger of Lever Brothers, Hindustan Vanaspati Mfg. Co. Ltd. and United Traders Ltd. It is headquartered in Mumbai, India and has an employee strength of over 15,000 employees and contributes to indirect employment of over 52,000 people. The company was renamed in June 2007 as “Hindustan Unilever Limited”. it has its headquaters in mumbai,with all its key people indians.even though the european "unilever" holds majority stake,hindustan unilever is still an indian comany.
-karthika

It is owned by Unilever, one of the biggest European brandnames in the world.
Industry Fast Moving Consumer Goods FMCG)
Founded 1933
Headquarters Mumbai, India
Key people Harish Manwani (Chairman), Nitin Paranjpe (CEO and Managing Director)
Products Home & Personal Care, Food & Beverages
Revenue 19,987.14 crore (US$4.46 billion) (2010-2011) [1]
Net income 2,305.97 crore (US$514.23 million)
Employees Over 65,000 direct & indirect employees
Parent Unilever Plc (52%)
Website Small Actions, Big Difference - Hindustan Unilever Limited

Unilever owns 52% stake in Hindustan Unilever Ltd. The Anglo-Dutch company owns the Indian Company. Just like Tata Motors owns Jaguar but Jaguar is still a British Automaker.

Yes, majority ownership belongs to Unilever, i.e. they own it. The brandname itself is Unilever, and is owned by Unilever.

Google China is run by Chinese people, for the Chinese market.

LOL just because they add the name of your country hardly makes it yours, especially when the brandname and ownership are both European.

CD let me ask u a question, if u have guts give me a clear answer

As Corus and jaguar are Indian owned companies will u give the credit of innovation and R&D of this companies to Indian ??

@chinese dragon-

brother,
if you are saying that hindustan unilever is a european company as a european company holds majority stake in it,
then,

land rover

126px-LandRover.svg.png

jaguar

250px-Jaguar_logo.svg.png

are INDIANcompanies,as tata holds majority stake in them!

-karthika

Industry Fast Moving Consumer Goods FMCG)
Founded 1933
Headquarters Mumbai, India
Key people Harish Manwani (Chairman), Nitin Paranjpe (CEO and Managing Director)
Products Home & Personal Care, Food & Beverages
Revenue 19,987.14 crore (US$4.46 billion) (2010-2011) [1]
Net income 2,305.97 crore (US$514.23 million)
Employees Over 65,000 direct & indirect employees
Parent Unilever Plc (52%)
Website Small Actions, Big Difference - Hindustan Unilever Limited

Unilever owns 52% stake in Hindustan Unilever Ltd. The Anglo-Dutch company owns the Indian Company. Just like Tata Motors owns Jaguar but Jaguar is still a British Automaker.

As you yourself pointed out, it is owned by Europeans. Unilever is the parent company.

The brand is European, the ownership is European.

I guess you could claim "Coca Cola India" next. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom