What's new

First P-8I Lands At Home Base Arakkonam Today

The two letter code is used by the Air National Guard to identify the base and its not used across USAF. USAF Wings such as the fighting first and Wolf Pack, wings with a glorious past have their own two letter designation. Wolf Pack is WP and Fighting First is FF, these tail codes go back to World War II or earlier. The purpose was easy identification of the aircraft from wreckage since the tail often survived the crash. Of course the USAAF had thousands of aircraft in theatre (WWII) so the need for easy identification makes sense. In the case of the the Indian Navy with just eight P8-I's all belonging to the same base the easy identification of wreckage line of thought does not explain the rationale for having the base code marked on the tail. So I repeat my question, why does the Indian Navy need to paint the base code on the tail of the P-8I?
Its lucky sign. They had it on Tu-142, they are having it on p8-i. I believe they will have it on next generation a/c. Indians are superstitious! :lol:

The two letter code is used by the Air National Guard to identify the base and its not used across USAF. USAF Wings such as the fighting first and Wolf Pack, wings with a glorious past have their own two letter designation. Wolf Pack is WP and Fighting First is FF, these tail codes go back to World War II or earlier. The purpose was easy identification of the aircraft from wreckage since the tail often survived the crash. Of course the USAAF had thousands of aircraft in theatre (WWII) so the need for easy identification makes sense. In the case of the the Indian Navy with just eight P8-I's all belonging to the same base the easy identification of wreckage line of thought does not explain the rationale for having the base code marked on the tail. So I repeat my question, why does the Indian Navy need to paint the base code on the tail of the P-8I?

May be they plan to buy a lot more and base them at different places :undecided:

No, like I said- for the same REASONS ie to be able to identify the home base of the a/c.

Examples
33fw-f15-eglin.jpg

F 15C from Eglin Airbase (US)

388th_Fighter_Wing_-_F-16_Fighting_Falcons.jpg

Hill Air Base

1024px-4th_Operations_Group_-_F-15Es_-_2010.jpg

Seymour Johnson AFB

You're making a lot of assumptions there- the IN will in fact be operating 24-30 P-8Is out of many different bases not to mention the 20+ MR-MPAs it will also operate. And like with all Tail codes it is as a means of identification, as they are LR-MPAs maybe there is a particular reason for it out on patrol, a long way away from home and often in international waters.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...-home-base-arakkonam-today.html#ixzz2TNIOEUbI
The reason is obvious, they will be operated from two different bases. One from ARK INS rajali Arakkonam - for East coast and another probably from Goa- west coast( as operated by the Tu's)

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/252274-first-p-8i-lands-home-base-arakkonam-today.html#ixzz2TNIOEUbI
The reason is obvious, they will be operated from two different bases. One from ARK INS rajali Arakkonam - for East coast and another probably from Goa- west coast( as operated by the Tu's)

You're making a lot of assumptions there- the IN will in fact be operating 24-30 P-8Is out of many different bases not to mention the 20+ MR-MPAs it will also operate. And like with all Tail codes it is as a means of identification, as they are LR-MPAs maybe there is a particular reason for it out on patrol, a long way away from home and often in international waters.

Eight has been ordered, the Indian Navy has an option on four more. Those are the facts, 24 to 30 P-8I's is you making assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eight has been ordered, the Indian Navy has an option on four more. Those are the facts, 24 to 30 P-8I's is you making assumptions.

There are facts and then there are statistical certainties.. not sure about 24 but we are not ordering ONLY 12 P8-Is for sure !

actually @Abingdonboy is right....our navy need some 24 P-8Is and out of that 12 has been ordered and further 12 will be ordered later...
Indian Navy to induct 24 Boeing P8-I Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft
Govt orders 4 more US maritime patrol aircraft - Economic Times

He said IN will have 24 P8i's. The news report you posted says IN plans to acquire 12 more.
The additional 12 P8i's may or may not materialize, he assumes it will. I was trying to make that point in my earlier post.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is something called convention and some thing called consistency. I think these two words may explain the reason.

An educated guess based on remarks from the IN and from Boeing themselves. Addtionally iirespective of futre P-8I orders the IN will be operating 20+ MR-MPAs in parallel with the P-8Is.

Quote from Boeing's Website
Customer
The Indian navy is the first international customer for the P-8. Boeing signed a contract Jan. 1, 2009, to deliver eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to the Indian navy. Boeing will deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015.

India's immediate need is for eight aircraft, but Boeing believes there is long-term potential for additional aircraft sales.
Boeing India - P-8I

Sir, going by the usual purchasing method in India, they usually purchase in small quantities and prefer giving follow on orders. this way they are able to keep the capital costs for a financial year down and also gain enough of operating experience with hardware and then if required can get some changes incorporated in newer pieces.
Also we donot know what would be the size of final fleet but considering India would have to retire existing Tupolov fleet by end of this decade, 24 doesnot look to be an unrealistic figure.

4.jpg

You are arguing without ANY sense.... It is our aircraft and we will do what ever we want. Hope you got your answer! We even can write 'Go to hell false flaggers!!!'

:what: can some sane Indian member explain why Rocky25 is so mad at me?

Back
Top Bottom