What's new

First glimpse into jf-17 block 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logical answer is ........
@Oscar @messiach when it comes to Block-III, which do you think is a better approach to the single seater?

One option is to work with the existing JF-17 Block-I/II single seat airframe, but with the improvements from the JF-17B. The other option is to emulate the MiG-29M/M2 by using the twin-seat airframe, but omitting the rear seat by extending the spine into it. I suspect that repurposing the JF-17B airframe into a single seater would be quicker and more affordable than trying to rework the single seat airframe. Moreover, by using the JF-17B as the basis, you could also leverage the new (and seemingly more visibility-friendly) canopy design.

See the image below:

View attachment 553203

I have serious reservations about it. There is no room to fit an IRST in it, not even under the nose. The AESA will take up most of the space.
hence I wonder if this still will be the same jet for name sake or there will be structural modifications to accommodate the extra size and weight of improved avionics and radar etc?
and it will be still the same size then everything is competing for the room and few desired additions modifications will have to be sacrificed. I also question the claim about PL15 for same reason. its a hefty missile
I

There is a problem - bubble canopy, like the one fitted in B, causes drag. Its acceptable on a twin engine Mig, but not a practical option on a single engine thunder.
the most iconic single engine plane that comes to mind is the F-16. I know it has a larger engine with more thrust
but boy I am sucker for good looks and I try to convince myself that the bubble canopy of JF-17 makes it look more contemporary look
(which the Indians shot down in their talkshows & youtube animations LOL)

why ? for asthetics or serve a purpose?
Honestly, I had to google 'asthetics' before coming back for a reply. Now that I know..., well yeah...it would seem attractive. Consider adding a LED lights to a Lancer. It won't make it a Evo, but looks nice.
that is relevant to the role of the program?
The F-22 & F-35 have 'em. Now I don't think it has anything to do with stealth technology, 'cause the Rafales have 'em too.

Honestly, I had to google 'asthetics' before coming back for a reply. Now that I know..., well yeah...it would seem attractive. Consider adding a LED lights to a Lancer. It won't make it a Evo, but looks nice.

The F-22 & F-35 have 'em. Now I don't think it has anything to do with stealth technology, 'cause the Rafales have 'em too.
like tinted glasses
and I already admitted I am sucker for good looks
although any very engineered well thought design is almost always a feast to the eyes
sports cars and modern jets for an example

There is no Block 03 yet !!! I really don't understand why You are spreading misinformation.

It is well known that this video is older - I saved this image in April 2018 - at a time the Block 03 was not finalised and construction hasn't started.

Please ... I know some here are most eager for any Block 03 news, but don't spread misinformation.
It is only logical to agree 100% with what you have said. @Dazzler is surprisingly over looking your matter of fact explanation and refutation of what looks like optical illusions that suggest otherwise.

This thread is completely off the mark about PT01-B being block3 as we all know the date of birth of the "grey painted" aircraft in question and your post proves that it is indeed PT01.

Screenshot_2019-04-14-00-40-41_1.jpg

As for the above post; the spine is not different at all.

The spine starts off with a roundish shape at the back of canopy and then we can see rectangular arches on "Grey Painted" aircraft and the same shape is more clearly visible on yellow aircraft when captured from other angles that the spine starts off with roundish shape and becomes boxy at the back:

image_2019-04-14_01-36 arrows4.jpg

Vs 02
image_2019-04-14_01-16 arrows.jpg

Vs 01
image_2019-04-14_01-36 arrows3.jpg

That being said, the coated canopy sitting on tools rack /table behind 02 as pointed out by you @Dazzler does indeed look different but there is another logical possibility that might explain the anomaly. Like yourself, I too am open to suggestions to the contrary i.e. we have not seen the canopy glass without its metal frame before.
Screenshot_2019-04-13-21-18-53.png

It could very well be the canopy of single seat JF-17A i.e. just the Glass before it is riveted on to the metal frame.

Obvious hint is the sleek edges all around suggest missing metal frame's thick curved sides that fits onto the fuselage and wider rear end of the metal frame.

We all know how the metal frame holds the glass as in the following picture. The elongated curved rear end of glass as seen in the above pic may well be hidden under the frame's rear wider part as seen below:
Screenshot_2019-04-14-02-36-02_1_1.jpg

From what we have read here and on Chinese websites, block3, in all likelihood, will have similar Full Authority FBW and the same tail as that of the B model along with more composite etc as in most importantly what's under the skin like AESA radar etc.

Any drastic changes in airframe design do not seem likely but then again nobody expected DSI on the original redesigned prototypes all those years ago either. Let's wait and see. The irst at the front will indeed be a major killer addition on top of AESA @BHarwana

@messiach @Oscar @Tps43 @HRK @waz @The Eagle

After the explanation of @Deino and above, kindly close the thread or change the misleading title to just a comparison.

Last edited:
I know on a single engine jet twin canted tails does not make sense but I'm sucker for those. My God do they look sexy or what.

Speculation.

Is it possible that the Myanmer twin seater has LKF-601E air cooled radar which was meant to be a drop-in replacement, whereas the Pakistani B model is testing the KLJ-7A?

It looks like a JF-17 B to me.

The orange canopy looks like its for the rear cockpit of the B model and not some imagined block III from 2018

There is no picture of Block III ever released :whistle:.......and who told you JF-17 Block III is two seat jet?
@Dazzler
As per my best knowledge and source there will be no much physical difference between current block two and upcoming block III.

Block III
Lighter weight material
More Powerful engine & Radars
New Missiles etc

Nobody is dragging you here. There is a difference between spreading disinformation and connecting the dots. The sole reason for tagging you because of the pic that i found among your tweets.

Lastly, you really need to check your condescending tone. This is an open forum, if you dont feel like commenting, just avoid doing it.

Please - and this is really not meant as offence - but I see it is something different to "connecting the dots" and tell everybody "I have a theory, what do you think" or to say "it is that way and hey, here is the no. 01 Block 03 prototype" regardless how unlikely it is, regardless how more likely all other explanations are and even more in mind that several other senior members agree with me.

Therefore insisting on your opinion is fine, but telling it an already given fact is "spreading misinformation".

Again; I see not a single point you mention as a proof for that type being already Block 03. Quite to the contrary, You are discussing subtle issues, which are all easier explained due to the low quality of the images or other reasons. Most importantly, the timeframe simply does not fit.

So in essence even if I admire your efforts to "connecting the dots" but IMO you are so much eagerly over that issue.

Anyway, time will tell.

Best regards

The orange canopy looks like its for the rear cockpit of the B model and not some imagined block III from 2018
More like just the glass of single seat version as described here:
It could very well be the canopy of single seat JF-17A i.e. just the Glass before it is riveted on to the metal frame.

Obvious hint is the sleek edges all around suggest missing metal frame's thick curved sides that fits onto the fuselage and wider rear end of the metal frame.

We all know how the metal frame holds the glass as in the following picture. The elongated curved rear end of glass as seen in the above pic may well be hidden under the frame's rear wider part as seen below:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom