What's new

First Block 2 JF-17s under construction in Pakistan

Nice. I think Pakistan should welcome all of the GCC(KSA, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain) and North African(Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco) countries with Turkey on board too for 5th Generation fighter aircraft and also for R&D on Electrical and Electronics which are most important for anything.
Aren't bhai jf 17 ko jf17 he rehnay do...don't try convert it into razia.

AESA radar is all but confirmed. We may see RD-93MA or WS-13, depending on which one is ready.
Confirmed for what? BLK 3 or this currently under production BLK 2?
As far as i know Blk 2 DO NOT have an AESA.

Aren't bhai jf 17 ko jf17 he rehnay do...don't try convert it into razia.
Wo jo GUNDON mein phans gai the? :P

One factors threw the program off the track. $$$$$$$. (money). French canceled the deal making an excuse we could not pay the money hence the deal could not go through. It delayed JF-17 program 1-1.5 year. New procurement planes, their integration and testing (in case of French, we wouldn't had to do that because of their reliability). New structural and avionics tests because We weren't expecting all out chinese armoury on JF-17. Hindsight on part of PAF

Program came back on track in 2010 but it was once again threw off in late 2011 when production capacity dwindle below 10. Kamra attack, loss of ERIEYE put PAF resources under restraint as they had to divert the money to makeup the loss. JF-17 program suffered delays and the situation is since been the same.

Grossly wrong assumption. PAF has already released the picture of the radar going in to Block 2. Looks like, seems so doesn't make your wishes true.

While i can agree with most part of your post, the highlighted one is that troubles me,
First, i do not see how an attack on Kamra SLOWED the production of JF-17, The JF-17 production facility was not effected.
Secondly, you mention that after the attack PAF had to divert money to make up for the lost ERIEYE, that again is not the case as PAF have not inducted any new Airborne Early Warning System as compensation of the lost assets.

While i can agree with most part of your post, the highlighted one is that troubles me,
First, i do not see how an attack on Kamra SLOWED the production of JF-17, The JF-17 production facility was not effected.
Secondly, you mention that after the attack PAF had to divert money to make up for the lost ERIEYE, that again is not the case as PAF have not inducted any new Airborne Early Warning System as compensation of the lost assets.

March 21/13: Need a fix. Saab announces a 5-year, SEK 1.1 billion ($170 million) contract that runs from 2013-2017, and covers “a comprehensive set of spares and support services for a previously delivered system, Saab 2000 AEW&C (Airborne Early Warning & Control).” Unfortunately, “The industry’s nature is such that depending on circumstances concerning the product and customer, information regarding the customer will not be announced.”

The answer seemed obvious. Air forces using Saab turboprop AWACS include Sweden, Thailand and the UAE (Saab 340), and Pakistan and Saudi Arabia (stretched Saab 2000 variant). Pakistan’s sale is well known and hasn’t been secret, so a Saab 2000 AEW&C customer insisting on secrecy must mean… Saudi Arabia. Except that we might have been wrong. What even the February revelations in Pakistan hadn’t disclosed is that the attack on Minhas AB in Pakistan happened with 3 Erieye planes on the ground.

One was destroyed – but 2 others were very badly damaged. That leaves Pakistan with a fleet of just 1 plane, until it gets those 2 fixed. That could explain this $170 million contract, with the sudden secrecy invoked because Pakistan doesn’t want to publicly admit the extent of the loss; indeed, if Saab doesn’t announce a separate SEK 1+ billion support contract soon, the default assumption for this deal must become Pakistan. The problem for Sweden, says Sweden’s Dagens Industri in an April 10/13 article, is that the original purchase was funded by a 2006 credit arrangement of SEK 7.4 billion from the Swedish Export Credit and Export Credits Guarantee Board. Now they’ll have to add SEK 1+ billion to cover this, all to a country that isn’t viewed as a terrific

I forgot to mention. worsening economic conditions in 2011, funds dried up of JF-17 , plus the money diverted to makeup loss of Erieye. Last I heard, they were thinking about converting training SAAB in to full fledged Erieye

Last edited:
Nice. I think Pakistan should welcome all of the GCC(KSA, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain) and North African(Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco) countries with Turkey on board too for 5th Generation fighter aircraft and also for R&D on Electrical and Electronics which are most important for anything.

We already have our own 5th gen fighter program named TF-X within coop with Swedish SAAB. currently BAe, Rolls Royce, P&W are called on to offer suitable engines for TF-X. Its likely that either Eurofighter's EJ-2000 or F-35's PW F-135 will be chosen.

Sir jee what's the difference between AESA and EScan. I thought EScan IS AESA.

Escan is the inbetween of Machanically scanned array and Active Electronically scanned arrays. The dish doesn't move, but relies on digital beam steering instead.

no I meant F-15.. .. the delta version of F-16 was pitched as a bomber .

Even I wonder why LM did not refined / evolved that design? although it had lost to F-15, but future F-16 could have been built on that XL design, eve if that design is upgraded to today's needs it could become Silent 16.

Just Imagine if our block 50/52s had that design and standard engine thrust of that design with all tech of today, it would have nearly matched all required capabilities against MKIs

Escan is the inbetween of Machanically scanned array and Active Electronically scanned arrays. The dish doesn't move, but relies on digital beam steering instead.

Are you sure Sir?
Global Website - E-CAPTOR Eurofighter E-Scan Radar
E-CAPTOR Eurofighter E-Scan Radar

DEFE-08-55_lo.jpg

The new CAESAR - CAPTOR Active Electronically Scanning Array Radar - is based on the CAPTOR radar which is in service on Eurofighter production aircraft. The new generation of radar introduces Active Electronically Scanning Array - AESA - technology which replaces mechanically steered antennas and high-power transmitters with an electronically steered array on the basis of transmit / receive modules. This array is made up of more than 1,000 transmit / receive modules which give the radar unprecedented versatility and reliability. This enables new mission capabilities for combat aircraft such as simultaneous radar functionalities, air surveillance, air-to-ground and weapon control. With successful test flights of an E-Scan radar on board a Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft, new capabilities of next-generation radar as well as the feasibility of its insertion into the Eurofighter weapon system have been demonstrated.

Date:
12 December 2013
So the Typhoon E-Scan radar is called CAESAR, which stands for CAPTOR EASA Radar. So E-Scan should be EASA.

Back
Top Bottom