What's new

First Block 2 JF-17s under construction in Pakistan

Lo bhai, so IFR will not be fitted from the start but will be retrofitted even in block 2 in around 2016.... And it's just the same KLJ-7 with just software upgrade...

Lo bhai, so IFR will not be fitted from the start but will be retrofitted even in block 2 in around 2016.... And it's just the same KLJ-7 with just software upgrade...
Even if it is software upgrade it's still a big thing, as far as IFR goes, meh, miniscule stuff.

Even if it is software upgrade it's still a big thing, as far as IFR goes, meh, miniscule stuff.

It's basically a block 1 with software upgrade. IFR is minuscule in importance? Ok...

It's even more disappointing than our toned down expectation. Even the schedule is disappointing with block 2 production reaching half way in 2016. So probably finishing in 2018.

On the upside all block 1s will also be upgraded and we will have them all able to carry BVR Missile, ASCM and PGMs...

Last edited:
It's basically a block 1 with software upgrade. IFR is minuscule in importance? Ok...
IFR will be added anyway, considering it is already present on some of our mirages, it wouldn't take long so i was implying don't worry about that at least. I think you are underestimating software upgrades but if there is 0 improvement in hardware then yeah it's worrisome, which i don't believe is the case, let's wait shall we?

"However, this modification will not appear in Block 2 aircraft until midway through the production at the Aircraft Manufacturing Factory (AMF), probably in early 2016, PAF officials said. Coupled with software enhancements, other new features include an upgrade to the avionics system that works around China's Nanjing KLJ-7 radar.

As a result, the Block 2s can add the Chinese-designed C-802 anti-ship missile and SD-10A beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile to the Block 1s' existing armoury, which includes Mk 82/84 dumb bombs and the PL-5-EII short-range air-to-air missile. All the Block 1s will eventually be upgraded with the Block 2 improvements."

*Sigh*

Could the addition of C-802 mean that the next squadron will be for naval defense and based in coastal areas.

It's even more disappointing than our toned down expectation. Even the schedule is disappointing with block 2 production reaching half way in 2016. So probably finishing in 2018.

On the upside all block 1s will also be upgraded and we will have them all able to carry BVR Missile, ASCM and PGMs...

I was wondering, if Block-1 is BVR-less for last 6-7 years, Pilots still be practicing WVR on JF-17. How proficient JF-17 pilots would be in BVR scenarios then. There is still no Info on WMD-7 integration on JF-17.

IFR will be added anyway, considering it is already present on some of our mirages, it wouldn't take long so i was implying don't worry about that at least. I think you are underestimating software upgrades but if there is 0 improvement in hardware then yeah it's worrisome, which i don't believe is the case, let's wait shall we?

At best, we were thinking Data link hardware will be added but tone of article suggesting it is software upgrade of KLJ-7 only.

What could be the reason for the IFR delay?

At best, we were thinking Data link hardware will be added but tone of article suggesting it is software upgrade of KLJ-7 only.
You mean it can't data link as of now?
Then why is Burma or for that matter any other country showing interest in the aircraft?

You mean it can't data link as of now?
Then why is Burma or for that matter any other country showing interest in the aircraft?

No it can't be.

These countries are showing interest only "NOW" when Block-2 came. One reason. It can fire SD-10 A, ASCM and some PGM's.

I was wondering, if Block-1 is BVR-less for last 6-7 years, Pilots still be practicing WVR on JF-17. How proficient JF-17 pilots would be in BVR scenarios then. There is still no Info on WMD-7 integration on JF-17.

It was known for quite some time now that Block 1s were not BVR capable and would be upgraded to handle them. Block 2 would be able to handle BVR, ASCM and is touted to be PGM capable so I assume WMD-7 will be integrated with it. Eventually, when all block 1s are upgraded they will have the same capabilities too.

At this rate we are looking at 2018-2019 timeframe when block 2 production and block 1 upgrade would be completed and we will have a hundred JFTs that's slowww! Probably the mandated 150 will be completed around 2022-2023 assuming the same speed.

As for block 3 I think it will come out around 2020.

What could be the reason for the IFR delay?

China refusing to fund the upgrades?

Even Block-2 production run ends at 2018, meaning ~10/year ( production line running at 50 % percent capacity). Money is hard to come by these days for PAF.

It was known for quite some time now that Block 1s were not BVR capable and would be upgraded to handle them. Block 2 would be able to handle BVR, ASCM and is touted to be PGM capable so I assume it WMD-7 will be integrated with it. Eventually, when all block 1s are upgraded they will have the same capabilities too.

At this rate we are looking at 2018-2019 timeframe when block 2 production and block 1 upgrade would be completed and we will have a hundred JFTs that's slowww!

As for block 3 I think it will come out around 2020.

Makes sense when PAF was saying Mirage would stay until 2020.

Another worrisome sign is, is block-1 and block-II designed keeping in mind it can receive Block-III upgrades? i doubt so

Makes sense when PAF was saying Mirage would stay until 2020.

Another worrisome sign is, is block-1 and block-II designed keeping in mind it can receive Block-III upgrades? i doubt so

Let's just hope that the economy improves, the rest will get fixed automatically.

Let's just hope that the economy improves, the rest will get fixed automatically.

Let's just say, that's not gonna happen for unforeseeable future. I have become realistic. JF-17 program taught me well not to hope or fantasize for long :P

No it can't be.

These countries are showing interest only "NOW" when Block-2 came. One reason. It can fire SD-10 A, ASCM and some PGM's.

The only thing disturbing is the past PAF tall claims. HMDS, no where to be found. IRST, no where to be mentioned. Datalink, God knows when it will be integrated.

Back
Top Bottom