What's new

Fire on Warship INS Ganga at Mumbai Naval Dock, 3 Injured

Do you have some data that makes you believe that it cannot be a sabotage?
Bro seriously,sabotage:o:!!Mate this frgate is a Godavari Class one it was commissioned in the year 1985,it was one of the first indigenous ships made in India.That means this ship is nearly 30 years old.Sometimes i wonder why on earth are these old ships not retired by the I.N.We should rather order an additional 3 Shivalik class frigates and retire these old ones a.s.a.p. otherwise these types of accidents will again occur in the near future....:coffee:

Bro seriously,sabotage:o:!!Mate this frgate is a Godavari Class one it was commissioned in the year 1985,it was one of the first indigenous ships made in India.That means this ship is nearly 30 years old.Sometimes i wonder why on earth are these old ships not retired by the I.N.We should rather order an additional 3 Shivalik class frigates and retire these old ones a.s.a.p. otherwise these types of accidents will again occur in the near future....:coffee:
Hit the nail on the head bro! Added to that the 6 TALWARS now in service, I guess the IN is waiting for the 7 P-17As to replace the Godavaris which is a shame because that means they have to wait at least another 4-5 years at least before they can start decommissioning these aged vessels.

Like the IAF with their MiGs the so-called "lost decade" is now seriously catching up with the IN now. By 2017-20 the scenario will be FAR rosier but I fear there are going to be some hard couple of years ahead the IN will just have to endure.

Hit the nail on the head bro! Added to that the 6 TALWARS now in service, I guess the IN is waiting for the 7 P-17As to replace the Godavaris which is a shame because that means they have to wait at least another 4-5 years at least before they can start decommissioning these aged vessels.

Like the IAF with their MiGs the so-called "lost decade" is now seriously catching up with the IN now. By 2017-20 the scenario will be FAR rosier but I fear there are going to be some hard couple of years ahead the IN will just have to endure.
I guess the most viable option available to the I.N. at the moment is to order a batch of at least 6 FREMM class Frigates from France/Italy.These are the newest and perhaps the most advanced ones in the arsenal of the European navies(French and Italian specifically).The cost will be around $7-8 billions but they'll certainly enhance the operational capabilities of the I.N. many a fold.Plus this way we can also retire the entire Godavari and Brahmaputra class frigates at once.If an order is given now then the first ship will be delivered by the DCNS within the next 36 months.....:coffee:

I guess the most viable option available to the I.N. at the moment is to order a batch of at least 6 FREMM class Frigates from France/Italy.These are the newest and perhaps the most advanced ones in the arsenal of the European navies(French and Italian specifically).The cost will be around $7-8 billions but they'll certainly enhance the operational capabilities of the I.N. many a fold.Plus this way we can also retire the entire Godavari and Brahmaputra class frigates at once.If an order is given now then the first ship will be delivered by the DCNS within the next 36 months.....:coffee:

We have enough quality surface ships as it is,why would we by FREMM when kolkata and shivalik are coming ?There is no immediate need as PN is no threat and PLAN is incapable of projecting power in IOR for at least another decade.We need focus on our submarine arm which is shambles AND has no indigeneous attack design waiting in the wings to fill the ranks like in the surface fleet.

Why go for the FREMM?? The first of 7 P-17As will start getting made THIS YEAR. They will be equally as capable and in some ways better than the FREMM. The 7 P-17As will cost about $8BN.

We have enough quality surface ships as it is,why would we by FREMM when kolkata and shivalik are coming ?There is no immediate need as PN is no threat and PLAN is incapable of projecting power in IOR for at least another decade.We need focus on our submarine arm which is shambles AND has no indigeneous attack design waiting in the wings to fill the ranks like in the surface fleet.
Mate you are comparing apples with oranges.Kolkata class warships are destroyers and hence can't be compared with FREMM class as the latter being a frigate.Plus the next project 17A frigate is at least 5-6 years from being ready to be inducted in the I.N.So in the meantime if we order at least 3 FREMM class frigates from DCNS then we can easily retire those vulnerable old Godavari class frigates.Plus it will certainly increase the operational capacity of the I.N. in a certain extent as the FREMM class is one of the most advanced frigates at present....

Mate you are comparing apples with oranges.Kolkata class warships are destroyers and hence can't be compared with FREMM class as the latter being a frigate.Plus the next project 17A frigate is at least 5-6 years from being ready to be inducted in the I.N.So in the meantime if we order at least 3 FREMM class frigates from DCNS then we can easily retire those vulnerable old Godavari class frigates.Plus it will certainly increase the operational capacity of the I.N. in a certain extent as the FREMM class is one of the most advanced frigates at present....

FREMM is enormously costly man,and won't give us any capability leap that kolkata won't give us despite the tonnage difference.I think IN is pretty well off in the surface ship dept,even though shivaliks are coming late they ARE coming and there's no immediate threat.In subs we don't even have a clear plan.

Inducting a 4th type (Talwars, P-17, P-17As and now FREMM-okay the P-17As are an evolution of the P-17s but still ) type of frigate? Just not necessary bro.Yes the P-17As are 5-6 years away but you think the FREMM can come THAT much sooner? Firstly the IN/MoD has 0 ongoing talks with DCNS for the FREMMs right now so the talks/negations and such will take at least 2 years and construction another 2-3 so you're looking at about the same timescale. And, again, it just isn't needed considering the IN is going to be getting 7 P-17As at around the same time. The industrial benefits the P-17As will bring simply outweigh the FREMM's slight advantages in a few niche areas. The P-17A will easily be one of the most advanced and capable frigates in the world, being close to 7,000 tonnes and equipped how it will be it will be more powerful than many navy's destroyers!

In subs we don't even have a clear plan
I don't know about that, whilst the plan might not be published there IS a plan- P-75s, P-75I, Arihant class (3 boats), subsequent class of larger more cabal SSBNs, an Indian made SSN class, possibly a 2nd Akula from Russia. This is just the plan for the next 10 years beyond that there is a LOT to come...

FREMM is enormously costly man,and won't give us any capability leap that kolkata won't give us despite the tonnage difference.I think IN is pretty well off in the surface ship dept,even though shivaliks are coming late they ARE coming and there's no immediate threat.In subs we don't even have a clear plan.
Maybe we can collaborate with Japan in this regard and form a J-V with them for the development of indigenous SSK or perhaps we can go ahead and collaborate with the Dutch or perhaps with Sweden for the development of the next generation SSKs as the above countries have the required expertise in this matter.But the problem is that the I.N. is still confused about the requirement for the next generation P-75I submarines.I for one would have gone ahead and ordered a few Type-214 submarines from Germany itself but then again i am not the chief of the I.N.;)!!

Back
Top Bottom