What's new

Final call on sanctions on S-400 deal to be taken by Prez Biden, Blinken: US dy secretary of state

FOOLS_NIGHTMARE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1633601864461.png

A top American diplomat on Wednesday described the Russian-made S-400 air defence system as “dangerous” but said the US is hopeful of resolving problems with India on the issue through discussions.

US deputy secretary of state Wendy Sherman told a small group of reporters after her meetings with foreign secretary Harsh Shringla and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval that a final decision on possible sanctions on the S-400 deal will be made by President Joe Biden and secretary of state Antony Blinken.

“We’ve been quite public about any country that decides to use the S-400. We think that is dangerous and not in anybody’s security interest,” she said.

“That said, we have a strong partnership with India. We want to be very thoughtful about the ways ahead, and discussions between our countries try to solve problems and I hope we will be able to in this instance as well,” Sherman added.

People familiar with developments said on condition of anonymity that the US side raised the S-400 deal during the discussions on Wednesday and there was a feeling on both sides that there was a need for further talks on the issue to reach some sort of common ground.

Russian ambassador Nikolay Kudashev had said last month that his country is expected to deliver the first batch of S-400 air defence systems under a $5.4-billion deal by October. There were no issues with the timeline for delivery of the systems, he had said.

Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhry, also told reporters on Tuesday that the first batch of S-400 systems is expected to arrive within this year.

Sherman’s remarks about resolving differences over the S-400 deal reflected a softening of the US position.

The previous Trump administration had threatened to slap sanctions on the deal under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).

The US has already imposed secondary sanctions under CAATSA on China and Turkey for military deals with Russia.

The Indian side has said it is determined to go ahead with the S-400 deal in view of its national security interests and plans to create an air defence shield for key cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.

CAATSA does not include any provisions that could exempt India. The only soft landing that I can see is America rolling back its decision to authorize the sale of F15 EX and F21 (F16IN) to India. This will not be a big bother for India as it has made its decision to buy Rafale regardless. America can also claim to have not bent its rules for anyone.

Sometimes, American foreign policy is self defeating because of its divergent interests. Every big weapon system that is purchased by India is to be used against China and therefore beneficial to American interests. But the American obsession with containing Russia is acting against itself :undecided:

Not gona bother India much, they hardly buy anything from the US, it might affect the future sale of engines for Tejas but thats about it.

Not gona bother India much, they hardly buy anything from the US, it might affect the future sale of engines for Tejas but thats about it.
India buys a lot of gear from US. Even recently there was a purchase order for Reapers. Sanction on those engines would indeed be a crushing blow to Tejas o_O

US won't do that unless India try's way too hard with it's hard to get attitude of "strategic non-alliance" or whatever they call it

So they might do it just to send a message- but most likely I don't see it happening

Looks like India will finally reap benefits of being a US lackey 😂. Problem lies with short sightedness of Indians who never saw that after china they will be next target for US.

What happened last time sanctions were applied, Vajpai told yanks you will approach us yourselves. M for sanctions, we will get to develop our arm industry and will also be atmanirbhar in other sectors as well..

What happened last time sanctions were applied, Vajpai told yanks you will approach us yourselves. M for sanctions, we will get to develop our arm industry and will also be atmanirbhar in other sectors as well..

High ambition!!!
But phatty dodh ki chae na piya kro!!!
Own industry wow!!! 😂

The tyranny as it is - by mine because I told you so. Or I will beat you.

View attachment 782698

A top American diplomat on Wednesday described the Russian-made S-400 air defence system as “dangerous” but said the US is hopeful of resolving problems with India on the issue through discussions.

US deputy secretary of state Wendy Sherman told a small group of reporters after her meetings with foreign secretary Harsh Shringla and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval that a final decision on possible sanctions on the S-400 deal will be made by President Joe Biden and secretary of state Antony Blinken.

“We’ve been quite public about any country that decides to use the S-400. We think that is dangerous and not in anybody’s security interest,” she said.

“That said, we have a strong partnership with India. We want to be very thoughtful about the ways ahead, and discussions between our countries try to solve problems and I hope we will be able to in this instance as well,” Sherman added.

People familiar with developments said on condition of anonymity that the US side raised the S-400 deal during the discussions on Wednesday and there was a feeling on both sides that there was a need for further talks on the issue to reach some sort of common ground.

Russian ambassador Nikolay Kudashev had said last month that his country is expected to deliver the first batch of S-400 air defence systems under a $5.4-billion deal by October. There were no issues with the timeline for delivery of the systems, he had said.

Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhry, also told reporters on Tuesday that the first batch of S-400 systems is expected to arrive within this year.

Sherman’s remarks about resolving differences over the S-400 deal reflected a softening of the US position.

The previous Trump administration had threatened to slap sanctions on the deal under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).

The US has already imposed secondary sanctions under CAATSA on China and Turkey for military deals with Russia.

The Indian side has said it is determined to go ahead with the S-400 deal in view of its national security interests and plans to create an air defence shield for key cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.

Yeah India will be sanctioned big time mark my word. India will not be allowed to unpack the missiles for the first month and in the second month US will be flying their F 35's to check the health and safety of the S 400 system. Depriving fascist Modi from his babies S 400 for 2 months will be considered enough punishment by the US that India can cry rivers about and then Blinkin will visit India to wipe Modi tears and kiss and make up for the lost times .

India is a US proxy to counter balance China, US will break every single domestic and International laws if it serves its interest.

I surprised people talk about Sanctions.. LOL..

Yeah India will be sanctioned big time mark my word. India will not be allowed to unpack the missiles for the first month and in the second month US will be flying their F 35's to check the health and safety of the S 400 system. Depriving fascist Modi from his babies S 400 for 2 months will be considered enough punishment by the US that India can cry rivers about and then Blinkin will visit India to wipe Modi tears and kiss and make up for the lost times .
OMG😭😭😭😭

India will get away with this..... Mark my words.... It's USA who has to give a justification later for sanctioning Turkey but not India..... I'm not saying this because I am an Indian but trust me you will realise this later.....

Pakistanis should stop assuming that the US or the world would use the same yard stick they used against them when it comes to India. We are not Equals.

Back
Top Bottom