What's new

Final call on sanctions on S-400 deal to be taken by Prez Biden, Blinken: US dy secretary of state

View attachment 782698

A top American diplomat on Wednesday described the Russian-made S-400 air defence system as “dangerous” but said the US is hopeful of resolving problems with India on the issue through discussions.

US deputy secretary of state Wendy Sherman told a small group of reporters after her meetings with foreign secretary Harsh Shringla and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval that a final decision on possible sanctions on the S-400 deal will be made by President Joe Biden and secretary of state Antony Blinken.

“We’ve been quite public about any country that decides to use the S-400. We think that is dangerous and not in anybody’s security interest,” she said.

“That said, we have a strong partnership with India. We want to be very thoughtful about the ways ahead, and discussions between our countries try to solve problems and I hope we will be able to in this instance as well,” Sherman added.

People familiar with developments said on condition of anonymity that the US side raised the S-400 deal during the discussions on Wednesday and there was a feeling on both sides that there was a need for further talks on the issue to reach some sort of common ground.

Russian ambassador Nikolay Kudashev had said last month that his country is expected to deliver the first batch of S-400 air defence systems under a $5.4-billion deal by October. There were no issues with the timeline for delivery of the systems, he had said.

Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhry, also told reporters on Tuesday that the first batch of S-400 systems is expected to arrive within this year.

Sherman’s remarks about resolving differences over the S-400 deal reflected a softening of the US position.

The previous Trump administration had threatened to slap sanctions on the deal under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).

The US has already imposed secondary sanctions under CAATSA on China and Turkey for military deals with Russia.

The Indian side has said it is determined to go ahead with the S-400 deal in view of its national security interests and plans to create an air defence shield for key cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.

CAATSA does not include any provisions that could exempt India. The only soft landing that I can see is America rolling back its decision to authorize the sale of F15 EX and F21 (F16IN) to India. This will not be a big bother for India as it has made its decision to buy Rafale regardless. America can also claim to have not bent its rules for anyone.

Sometimes, American foreign policy is self defeating because of its divergent interests. Every big weapon system that is purchased by India is to be used against China and therefore beneficial to American interests. But the American obsession with containing Russia is acting against itself :undecided:
Meh....waiver would be granted.
What happened last time sanctions were applied, Vajpai told yanks you will approach us yourselves. M for sanctions, we will get to develop our arm industry and will also be atmanirbhar in other sectors as well..
India will get away with this..... Mark my words.... It's USA who has to give a justification later for sanctioning Turkey but not India..... I'm not saying this because I am an Indian but trust me you will realise this later.....

I believe that if the US does not sanction India it will have significantly bad relations with Turkey a NATO member on the same issue.remember the freedoms of navigation movement against India.

this deal maybe a significant reason why the shift of the US has been seen recently from QUAD to AUKUS. This is to reign in india into compliance. I believe the modi government will capitulate. There is extreme dependence in India both economically and Militarily on the US.

Like pressler amendment hurt America more overthe long term than it hurt Pakistan. But if you all remember the US stoped the sale of spares nearly crippling our US equipment fleet. If the sanctions are slapped on India first military then economic the following will happen

1) p-8 spares gone
2) c-17 spares gone
3) Apache and chinooks grounded
4) some French equipment used US parts
5) a lot of bans on isreali equipment
Tejas will never fly again

this will have a massive people back lash against the Modi government

then come the economic sanctions
Limited access to the US market which will cripple Indias already staggering economy.

This will translate to Modi never being elected again so my friends the true test of this relationship is upon us. I believe the US will offer india all sorts of non russsina goodies to keep it in the fold but will use the stick to beat the starving india into submission. India will finally become the number one American stooge in the region

k

You read so much propganda about India and US relationship. You need to read the history between India and China before you make any view about US and India relations.
India and China rivalry is much much older than US-China rivalry. We fought actual wars with China to defend our interests.
India and US are using each other against China or you can say it's a matual relationship based on interests.

At that time China was 3rd world country more poor then India, Times have changed China is a super power now, the 2nd largest economy and poised to become the largest with a huge MIC. US only see things through its lens of interest it has no friends, India is a 3rd world 3rd rate country and for US its a proxy to contain china nothing more nothing less.

At that time China was 3rd world country more poor then India, Times have changed China is a super power now, the 2nd largest economy and poised to become the largest with a huge MIC. US only see things through its lens of interest it has no friends, India is a 3rd world 3rd rate country and for US its a proxy to contain china nothing more nothing less.
We still have same issues with China. it never changed. yeah, China have left India behind in Economic progress but that doesn't mean India has to compromise its interests in the region.
India is progressing fast to catch up China. India sees itself a global player now and acting like one.
US has no privilege to use India in its region. It is vice versa though.

View attachment 782698

A top American diplomat on Wednesday described the Russian-made S-400 air defence system as “dangerous” but said the US is hopeful of resolving problems with India on the issue through discussions.

US deputy secretary of state Wendy Sherman told a small group of reporters after her meetings with foreign secretary Harsh Shringla and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval that a final decision on possible sanctions on the S-400 deal will be made by President Joe Biden and secretary of state Antony Blinken.

“We’ve been quite public about any country that decides to use the S-400. We think that is dangerous and not in anybody’s security interest,” she said.

“That said, we have a strong partnership with India. We want to be very thoughtful about the ways ahead, and discussions between our countries try to solve problems and I hope we will be able to in this instance as well,” Sherman added.

People familiar with developments said on condition of anonymity that the US side raised the S-400 deal during the discussions on Wednesday and there was a feeling on both sides that there was a need for further talks on the issue to reach some sort of common ground.

Russian ambassador Nikolay Kudashev had said last month that his country is expected to deliver the first batch of S-400 air defence systems under a $5.4-billion deal by October. There were no issues with the timeline for delivery of the systems, he had said.

Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhry, also told reporters on Tuesday that the first batch of S-400 systems is expected to arrive within this year.

Sherman’s remarks about resolving differences over the S-400 deal reflected a softening of the US position.

The previous Trump administration had threatened to slap sanctions on the deal under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).

The US has already imposed secondary sanctions under CAATSA on China and Turkey for military deals with Russia.

The Indian side has said it is determined to go ahead with the S-400 deal in view of its national security interests and plans to create an air defence shield for key cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.

Americans will come up woth a legislation for India to look the other way.
better stillto show they dont discriminate about theor policy implementation they will balance out this no action against india by sanctioning Pakistan if it buys tje latest chinese version of s400 H9 or whatever.

this way Americans can argue that they have imposed sanctions due to S400 sales its just a neighbouring country.

We still have same issues with China. it never changed. yeah, China have left India behind in Economic progress but that doesn't mean India has to compromise its interests in the region.
India is progressing fast to catch up China. India sees itself a global player now and acting like one.
US has no privilege to use India in its region. It is vice versa though.

Your issues with China are Irrelevant for US, Only when China progressed and poses a threat to US hegemony is when India comes in the picture. And US admins have made no secret to use India as a counterweight / proxy to contain China its all over the place.

As a matter of fact US slapped, insulted and treated Pakistan leaders like $hit. Still due to business interests these leaders sold themselves and in return got free reign on corruption and money laundering. Why do you think heads of both PPP and PMLN are under scrutiny of anti coruption watch dogs? US will tank Indian economy to ground by imposing sanctions over small stuff i.e. S400 purchase.

They insulted us because we double crossed them. We were not a loyal ally...we kept running with rabbits and hunting with hounds.World know it.

On corruption, I agree PPP,PMLN leaders are corrupt...but so is IK's ministers....and our Generals....Pandora Papers, Broadsheet...they do not get reported or are not allowed to surface before our people.....So corruption is rampant...just that the corrupt in power save their ***** and blame the others for it...and vice versa (when they come to power) they do the same.

I doubt US will tank Indian economy....they have too high stakes on India to be compromised for S 400...I think nothing will happen.

Back
Top Bottom