What's new

Field Marshal Raheel Sharif

Well, Field Marshal or not Raheel Shareef at least qualifies for the post, unlike Mr. Ayub Khan who was, and I guess will be the only self appointed Field Marshal ever. Ironically Mr. Ayub was the same who was suspended for visible cowardice under fire during WWII. LOL

Last edited:
@war&peace @Moonlight @smuhs1 @balixd

Raheel Sharif would not be given executive powers as president, but as stated above, having a decorated and publicly respected retired general as president confers the winning political party with unprecedented legitimacy. This is why I think the party winning in 2018 will extend an offer of presidency to Raheel Sharif.

as i remember our last field marshal was called dog and he resigned . do you want to see him like ayoub ? no thanks he better go home

Raheel Sharif would not be given executive powers as president, but as stated above, having a decorated and publicly respected retired general as president confers the winning political party with unprecedented legitimacy. This is why I think the party winning in 2018 will extend an offer of presidency to Raheel Sharif.
He is not becoming President.
Political parties will catch a breath of peace once he will leave office. Making him president is least thing which can happen.

It's an honorary title; nothing more. This has nothing to do with extension.

It is NOT merely an "honorary" title. A Field Marshall is superior to the General rank. If this goes through it will make him the senior most officer in the entire armed and civil armed forces making him even senior to the Chairman Joint Chiefs which is currently not the case.

Let him go with respect now i don't think he will accept to continue let's just hope the next COAS will be even better than him although he is the best we ever got imo.
btw isn't the title of FM is given to person based on his skills/victories in a war?

as i remember our last field marshal was called dog and he resigned . do you want to see him like ayoub ? no thanks he better go home

Little correction dude, " last self-proclaimed field marshal". There is no comparison between Ayub and Raheel. :)

My guess...

Gen. Raheel Sharif will retire as planned, and then go to the Middle East to do something (e.g. take up a post in the Saudi coalition). In 2018, the newly elected government will invite Raheel Sharif to serve as President.
he was offered to head the GCC armies in the middle east. I dont know if he rejected that job. maybe like Shuja Pasha he will take that ceremonial job to help rope in Pakistan army to fight for them in Yemen and protect their assets in Syria and Iraq.

I hope this comes to fruition but neither noora nor zardari will give power to dissolve NA to an army general. If BY some miracle PTI comes to power then it might be possible. You are talking like Pakistani politicians are sane enough to tell face from their asss so to be honest i dont see it happening in next election. General Raheel will indeed make a great President.

Yeah but don't forget terms will not be dictated by Political lot but by Chief himself, and he is a bigger man than taking a ceremonial post and no powers ---- you think he will involve himself into a thankless job again?? He is a highly regarded person and he will settle down somewhere quiet with his honor and pride intact

Gen Raheel will be leading Islamic Block forces. May be status of field martial would get him more control over his upcoming position.

you get legitimacy by winning in a fair elections voted by ppl.
Maybe in a handful of countries, but it is grossly erroneous to extrapolate one rule for every single country in the world, especially when each land and peoples have their own history, societal issues and values.

In Pakistan, society generally does not trust its politicians, regardless of the elections they win. In some cases, it is an issue of provinces disliking other provinces. In other cases, it is an issue of tribe, ethnicity or city. For many of us on this forum, it is the patently obvious fact that a huge chunk of the Pakistani political class is corrupt, and will never earn genuine legitimacy in our eyes.

If you're a political party in Pakistan, and you want genuine legitimacy, then you would need to do something that is on the selfless, humble and visionary side of the equation.
Yeah but don't forget terms will not be dictated by Political lot but by Chief himself, and he is a bigger man than taking a ceremonial post and no powers ---- you think he will involve himself into a thankless job again?? He is a highly regarded person and he will settle down somewhere quiet with his honor and pride intact
We'll have to see. What if it is a matter of someone asking him to continue helping in the stabilization of the Pakistani political system?

It was already a big thing to see the PPP to PML handover, well a third election cycle is absolutely unprecedented in the country, and with the general conditions prevailing - i.e. internal conflict, economic uncertainty, possible foreign relations issues arising in Kashmir and Afghanistan, etc - what if many politicians, judges, media, Pakistani people, and armed forces collectively made a case for Raheel Sharif as president?

He is not a proactive agent, sure, but does that also mean he won't assume a position out of duty - and that too with legitimate means and public backing?

Great news

#RaheelToContinue
Till eternity

My guess...

Gen. Raheel Sharif will retire as planned, and then go to the Middle East to do something (e.g. take up a post in the Saudi coalition). In 2018, the newly elected government will invite Raheel Sharif to serve as President.
So that's why NS now a days parroting Kashmir Song

A honorary post. ceremonial office or a recognition for the services in war, that has no powers, nothing but in lieu of General Raheel Sharif's services for Pakistan. It is like NS is rewarding the General for dedication and achievements so also, from political point of view to gain public sympathy due to their love for the General.

New COS will be selected as per rule/schedule and General Raheel Sharif is not going to have any extension. However, seems like due to the acknowledgment on International Level for General Raheel Sharif achievements against terrorism and a trust showed by China especially in the subject of CPEC and the General's dedication/surety, it is going to be something like Raheel Sharif would be the part of National Security as Field.

Electing of Rasheel Sharif as President seems impossible by political parties though, IMO, a care taker government system if happened, as we witness the deadlock among the political parties against many issues and the same is growing day by day, may suggest a top office for him based upon commitment/strategy for accountability across the board, anti-terrorism and anti-corruption in the country. Chinese factor subject to CPEC would play a major role in upcoming events especially new COAS and Raheel Sharif's future involvement into any office.

Back
Top Bottom