What's new

Few words about this guy

He was captain of cricket team Pakistan when it won the cricket world cup when Nawaz Sharif was PM of Pakistan in 1992.

Few words
few words aka 'nuff said ? :P

It does inspire deep pity though, and understandably so.
Honestly, current affairs to do with Pakistani internal politics is pretty alien to me.

Seems like a nice enough guy, took it a bit far with his nazi genocidal Hindus !! in India bit (we can disagree on that, np)

His tone, and 'aura', if you will, sounded and looked defeated in a few of his recent speeches I thought.. "we're poor, we can't do this, we can't do that..." .. really came across like he's not in control at a time when he really should have been leading a charge and cheering people up in this dark time.

Imran also looked a bit uneasy at that Trump meeting when Donald went "yeah, Pakistan never lies" (Typical Trump, has a go at everyone lol)

The general perception in India is that the Pakistani power structure is all smoke and mirrors..

and that ALL important things are run from Rawalpindi HQ, and that your democracy is not real.

Gen Raheel Sharif sahab ka shayad Radar Cross Section too much ho gaya tha, he backed down from taking the reigns under US scrutiny.

Mullahs, Military, army sanctioned populists... where is Pakistan going ?

Voted for PTI in Federal government, PMLN for Provincial government. PTI needs to complete its 5 year tenure. Corruption mantra and reduction in daily prices has been an utter failure of PTI till now.

Too easy to blame LHC, they are just the tool. You think few judges can go against "the state"; if she decides to get her affairs in order. Imran Khan was not very happy with it; but did he had any option but to let him go?

N faked his illness to get out. He lied and is not getting treatment. Nothing much we can do.

Let us wait and see.

few words aka 'nuff said ? :P

Honestly, current affairs to do with Pakistani internal politics is pretty alien to me.

Seems like a nice enough guy, took it a bit far with his nazi genocidal Hindus !! in India bit (we can disagree on that, np)

His tone, and 'aura', if you will, sounded and looked defeated in a few of his recent speeches I thought.. "we're poor, we can't do this, we can't do that..." .. really came across like he's not in control at a time when he really should have been leading a charge and cheering people up in this dark time.

Imran also looked a bit uneasy at that Trump meeting when Donald went "yeah, Pakistan never lies" (Typical Trump, has a go at everyone lol)

The general perception in India is that the Pakistani power structure is all smoke and mirrors..

and that ALL important things are run from Rawalpindi HQ, and that your democracy is not real.

Gen Raheel Sharif sahab ka shayad Radar Cross Section too much ho gaya tha, he backed down from taking the reigns under US scrutiny.

Mullahs, Military, army sanctioned populists... where is Pakistan going ?

Troll somewhere else. We don't care in the slightest what you think.

You elected a baboon named Modi and a corpse molester named Yogi. Lost people.

Shoo :wave:

so what do you think he is the avatar of in your dharmic brain?
Happen to remember quite well the Botham - Imran final in '92 as a kid at the time.

Pakistan can get rid of him and kick him out of office next time your elections come around

Happen to remember quite well the Botham - Imran final in '92 as a kid at the time.

Pakistan can get rid of him and kick him out of office next time your elections come around

That is for Pakistanis to decide.

The dude is too Indian friendly anyhow for PDFs liking.

Don't worry; we will keep him to expose nazi hindu radicals.

He has ruined the economy to begin with, lack of justice for powerful and too many u-turns. Still I support him and will save my anger for next year. For now we have to support him and follow his advice to prevent the spread of coronavirus. He is trying his best but he is probably not capable to resolve all issues in short tenure. He needs 20-30 years or we need better leaders who can perform in 2-5

a person who started with good intentions but will fall mainly because of ego and superiority complex, i didn't voted for him and i am glad i didn't but this is not the time for this, i can only hope this guy takes us out of this pandemic with better performance than Donald Trump (they give each other run for money)

schadenfreude !

leave the Hindu Nazis alone ! :cry::cry:

Of course not; this will continue until they are known for what they really are, "Radical hindu terrorists". They got away for too long with fake sadhu image. Too bad for India, a page from their book has been taken.

Honestly, current affairs to do with Pakistani internal politics is pretty alien to me....

I'm going to defend IK here a bit. While I take your point and agree that this defeatist attitude is not good coming from a PM. On the issue itself, he has a valid opinion. Lockdowns are enforced in other countries in order to save the lives of vulnerable citizens, and to prevent your country becoming the next covid-related media frenzy (see Italy) -- let's keep it real, no government wants their country's image tarnished either. For Pakistan the situation is not the same as it would be in a country like Italy. They have a much bigger need for a lockdown and a much bigger capacity to sustain and weather a lockdown.

Italy and other developed countries have robust healthcare systems, they each have good numbers of ICU beds and ventilators. Their aim (curve flattening), is to keep the weekly or monthly cases low enough so that throughout the course of this pandemic, their systems aren't overwhelmed. E.g you might be able to handle 5-10k serious cases of covid-19 a week, but if you get a massive spike (taller curve), where you have 100k serious cases, there will not be enough capacity for life-saving equipment and facilities in that period, deaths will be higher.

9f37e4b5158040adab442adba731cbf9_18.jpg

In both scenarios, total cases might be the same, but fewer people die if your capacity isn't breached. And in the long run, countries are flexible enough to make new hospitals, get more tests, produce ventilators, more drugs and more protocols, and an eventual vaccine. Now imagine those two curves for Pakistan, our healthcare system capacity is well below that line in the picture. It pays for Italy to do a lockdown far more than it pays for Pakistan.

Furthermore, Italy has an average of 45.4 years, Pakistan's average age is 22.8. According to statista, Pakistan's proportion of over 65s is a measly 4.3%. Italy's by comparison is 22.75%.

So let's do a quick math exercise, though deeply flawed and incomplete vs actual modelling, we're going to make a few assumptions. 60% of the population becoming infected and thus immune, this is the level needed for herd immunity. Let's assume we reach 60% in both PK and IT before the vaccines come along (grim, but this is the worst case scenario). Applying a fatality rate of 7% for the elderly (over 65s), and a rate of 1% for the rest of population, here's what we get:

covid.PNG

So despite their better healthcare and all their state might, their death rate would be twice Pakistan's in a no lockdown scenario (0.75% vs 1.42%). And I have been generous to Italy in this simulation, I have made two assumptions that make the contrast less stark: I've assumed that at 60% infected, the Italian healthcare system has not totally collapsed, and the death rate is not higher there since over-65s will need ICU beds and ventilators more, and I've applied a 1% fatality rate to all <65s, whereas the fatality rate decreases with age. Pakistan's rate would thus be lower and Italy's higher. Interestingly, despite this poor simulation, if I take actual model estimates of 55 million covid-19 deaths globally through the course of the entire pandemic as predicted by some, the proportion of those 55m distributed to Pakistan as a percentage of total world population comes out to around 1.4-1.5m in Pakistan. That's fairly close to my 1.6m quick and unscientific simulation.

And then there is an even longer discussion to have on Pakistan's capacity for lockdown, we still have malnutrition in this country, people might starve to death in a major lockdown. A lockdown which the government may not be able to enforce anyway. And one that will surely be even harder for a country like Pakistan to sustain economically.

Apologies for the long tangent. So while I don't agree with IK completely, I don't dismiss his viewpoint either.

This perception is somewhat accurate IMO, although very oversimplified. I know espousing these opinions in Pakistan is sure to get your voice shut down by the establishment, and vilified by ordinary people. We have an establishment that has never to this day allowed for a real democratic process, only a few elections here or there happened without their rigging, and to this day not one PM has been able to complete their full term in all of our history.

And the establishment isn't just the army, it includes certain politicians, journalists, judges, industrialists, land owners etc. But the former is the main component.

Since we're trading general perceptions. I have to warn you and other Indians about your country too, it's sliding towards a partial ethnofascistic state under Modi. We in Pakistan have seen what one Zia dictatorship did to our civil society and how much work it takes to undo the damage, your people seem willing participants in all of this. And don't dismiss this because it's a Pakistani saying this to you, I came to this realisation about India's current state by watching neutral media in the West. When even they at multiple points are reporting on your internal politics this way, you really have a problem. Don't be blind to this danger, and don't underestimate it, Pakistan and India are multi-polar and pluralistic countries with more diversity than the entire continents like Europe. Fascists will rip apart such countries from the inside.

Back
Top Bottom