What's new

Female driver who defied Saudi motoring ban dies in fatal road accident R

ZABASHO

Reaction score
A woman who defied a driving ban on female motorists in Saudi Arabia has died in a car crash.

Another was hurt in the crash in the only country in the world where females are banned from getting behind the wheel.

A police spokesman said that one of the women was killed instantly but the other had to go to hospital to be treated for her injuries.

They were in a four-wheel drive on Saturday evening in the northern Hael province when the accident happened.

'One woman was immediately killed and her companion who was driving the car was hospitalised after she suffered several injuries' police spokesman Abdulaziz al-Zunaidi told AFP.

Their deaths come after they joined a growing number of women who have defied the ban since a high-profile campaign by a 32-year-old computer security consultant.

Manal al-Sherif was arrested and detained for 10 days in May after posting a video of herself on YouTube as she drover around Khobar, a city to the east of the country.

al-Sherif and a group of other women started a Facebook page called 'Teach me how to drive so I can protect myself,' which urged authorities to lift the driving ban.

Several other Saudi women went on to film themselves behind the wheel of a car in the days after al-Sherif's detention.

Women struggle to get around in Saudi Arabia, and it isn't just a result of the driving ban.

Taxis can be sparse and some men refuse to drive a woman without a chaperone - usually their husband or a close male relative.

One of the arguments that was thrown out by officials was that it was illegal for women to possess a driving license but not for them to drive.

In September, a woman in Jeddah named Shayma Jastaniah was found guilty of driving through the streets.

She was sentenced to 10 lashes as a result of the charges despite holding an international driving license.

Female driver who defied Saudi motoring ban dies in fatal accident | Mail Online

anyone else think its suspicious?

How is this relevant to Pakistani affairs??

Oh and by the way she did not die just to make note.

women struggle to get around in Saudi Arabia, and it isn't just a result of the driving ban.

Taxis can be sparse and some men refuse to drive a woman without a chaperone - usually their husband or a close male relative.

what a ******* headache!!!

I can understand most of banned things for women in arab county because of their religion .. But howcome car 'a modern phenomenon' came to banned list ?

Daily Mail is not a credible source particularly when it comes with anything to do with Muslim issues.

There is a long long list of outright false news like the Muslim beauty queen from ukraine who was stoned who was neither muslim nor was stoned to death.

It is a sad incident. :confused:

Driving schools should accommodate females as well. I can guess the reason of this accident is, this woman lacked driving skills because she feared she might be arrested if she even tries to attend driving schools. Barbaric oppression. I hope the Saudis empower females and stop these nonsensical laws.

Why Saudi Men are so insecure?What will happen if women drive?
There is nothing wrong with saudis. It's all about the cult like sect of wahabism that governs their society. If you were thought the same thing they were thought from childhood, you wouldn't be any different.

Why do you think the vast majority of suicide bombers are from Saudi Arabia and the rest are graduates of Saudi religious schools? If they're able to produce people who think that by blowing themselves up in a shia mosque or in a market place, they will be doing god's work, then surely they can make people believe that a woman's place is...

It is a sad incident. :confused:

Driving schools should accommodate females as well. I can guess the reason of this accident is, this woman lacked driving skills because she feared she might be arrested if she even tries to attend driving schools. Barbaric oppression. I hope the Saudis empower females and stop these nonsensical laws.

I'm sure many saudis want these laws to change, but the clerics who have a tight grip of their society cannot be persuaded to even open up cinemas, let alone empower women.

Back
Top Bottom