What's new

FATA Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why I keep repeating that everyone in the region is playing their own dirty games, this has to stop, we urgently need is a regional conference involving Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Russia, Iran, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, China and US to discuss joint strategy to end regional rivalries and bring peace to Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Rabzon,

Unfortunately the Taliban militants are supporting the Sunni side, so no ones hands in this are clean.

I woudl also place the primary blame for this on the Taliban, who abducted and then slaughtered 8 drivers belonging to the opposing side.

I think the sectarian aspect to this is why the GoP has so far stayed out of it, preferring that the Tribes figure it out themselves.

Rabzon,

Unfortunately the Taliban militants are supporting the Sunni side, so no ones hands in this are clean.

I woudl also place the primary blame for this on the Taliban, who abducted and then slaughtered 8 drivers belonging to the opposing side.

I think the sectarian aspect to this is why the GoP has so far stayed out of it, preferring that the Tribes figure it out themselves.
While our government is staying out of it, the Iranians and Afghans are getting involved that is worrying me.

While our government is staying out of it, the Iranians and Afghans are getting involved that is worrying me.

Valid point. Had the GoP stepped in to stop the Taliban when the situation was not this bad, we would not be seeing this conflict.

Chalk down another failure of the 'peace deals', since this apathetic attitude came about during that time.

Valid point. Had the GoP stepped in to stop the Taliban when the situation was not this bad, we would not be seeing this conflict.

Chalk down another failure of the 'peace deals', since this apathetic attitude came about during that time.

Agreed but then again Taliban back then were more in favor of Pakistan then the ones we have now. Also i am of this serious opinion that the time has come where we need to send a strong signal to Afghanistan and all its ilks to stop destabilizing Pakistan or we will respond militarily. A few days back general Tariq Majeed as openly stated that Pakistan army knows how to defend its boundaries but i think someone from the democratic side should stand up, PM, president and should convey to the Afghans. A military respond to Afghanistan seems a must irrespective of who's authority it falls under (NATO,US).

Top Taliban leader feared dead in Bajaur air strike

Friday, August 15, 2008

By Mushtaq Yusufzai

PESHAWAR: Amid reports of the killing of prominent militant Taliban commander Maulana Faqir Mohammad in Bajaur Agency, the security forces on Thursday intensified the ongoing military operation against the militants in the troubled tribal region, killing 33 more Taliban fighters.

Military officials based in the troubled Bajaur Agency seemed quite satisfied with their success against the militants in Bajaur, saying two vehicles carrying important Taliban commanders, including their regional chief Maulana Faqir Mohammad and his close aides, were targeted in Damadola on Thursday afternoon.

“Two vehicles carrying senior Taliban commander Maulana Faqir Mohammad and his close aides were targeted by two gunship choppers. But I am not sure whether he (Maulana Faqir) died in the attack or not,” said a senior military official, wishing not to be named.

The sources said Maulana Faqir and his men were crossing a seasonal stream in Damadola village when all of a sudden two choppers attacked their vehicles. Military authorities said 11 militants were killed in the attack on the vehicles.

The officials said they were following both the vehicles right from the beginning when the militants were camouflaging these pick-up trucks with mud and maize crops near Omari area. “The choppers opened fire when the vehicles drove toward Damadola. One of the vehicles, which was loaded with ammunition and explosives, exploded,” said the military sources.

Spokesman for Taliban Maulvi Omar confirmed the air attack on double-cabin pick-up truck of Maulana Faqir, saying the vehicle was badly damaged. However, he said Faqir Mohammad remained unscathed in the attack, as he had just alighted from the vehicle.

The seemingly panicked and upset Omar said first two gunship choppers targeted the vehicles and then artillery and mortar shells were fired at the same position, which caused heavy loss to their people, but didn’t provide exact figures of his men lost in the attack. Sources close to Maulana Faqir also disagreed with reports about his death.

Similarly, four gunship helicopters continued blitzing militants’ suspected hideouts in their strongholds in Seway, Mamond, Mulla Said Banda, and Utmankhel Tehsil. According to military officials, 22 suspected militants were killed and several others injured when gunship choppers targeted a madrassah run by ameer of Tanzim Nifaz Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM), Bajaur Agency and Taliban commander Maulana Mohammad Munir at Seway in Mamond subdivision.

Officials said the militants were using the madrassah, built in middle of orchards, as their hideout. However, there were no details whether Maulana Munir, who is head of transport wing of the Taliban militants in Bajaur, was killed in the attack or not.

Tribal sources told The News from Bajaur Agency that there was a huge intensity in the week-long military operation against militants on Thursday.“For the first time I saw the military helicopters targeting accurate locations and hideouts of Taliban,” a tribesman Haji Rahmanullah told The News from militant stronghold Mamond tehsil.

On the other hand, government officials said the security forces first wanted local population to vacate the area so that they could easily figure out the militants and target them in their hideouts.

Majority of the population had already fled their homes and shifted to Dir, Mardan, Peshawar and rest of the districts where they are living in miserable conditions. PPI adds: The victims of Bajaur operation observed Independence Day as ‘Black Day’ against the ongoing military operation and staged a demonstration here in front of Peshawar press club on Thursday.

The protestors holding banners and placards chanted slogans against military operation, displacement of common people and increasing number of civilian casualties during the operation.They demanded of the government to immediately stop the operation and compensate the affectees.

There are still conflicting reports of the death of that bastard however today i was watching express news channel and they were quoting that he is indeed dead. Lets just hope and pray that they are correct in their reporting.

Faqir Muhammad not killed in Bajaur attack: Taliban
Updated at: 1310 PST, Friday, August 15, 2008

BAJAUR AGENCY: Local Taliban Commander Maulvi Faqir Muhammad has said Friday that news reports about his killing in security forces’ air strike are false.

Talking to Geo News, Faqir Muhammad said his several companions were killed in air strike by security forces on other day however he was not present in the vehicle hit by security forces. :eek:

The news reports regarding his killing are false, he added.

Meanwhile, people have been migrating to other areas due to ongoing operation between security forces and local Taliban.

Faqir Muhammad not killed in Bajaur attack: Taliban

I wonder why can't his signals be traced when he talks to Geo?

^^^ Isn't this the type of equipment that Pakistan has been demanding from the US, so far denied?

^^^ Isn't this the type of equipment that Pakistan has been demanding from the US, so far denied?

I think US is purposely denying such equipment and we know why? Point is is US the only country from which we can get this equipment, why not someplace else?

Thank goodness, at last some sense has prevailed.

Warring tribesmen of Kurram should remain peaceful or face operation:

Rehman Malik PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Aug 15 (APP): Advisor to Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik Friday warned the warring tribesmen in Kurram Agency to remain peaceful and cooperate with the law enforcing agencies or face the operation by law enforcing agencies. “I give 72 hours deadline to the warring tribesmen of restive Kurram Agency to remain peaceful or face the operation,” he said after a meeting with MNAs and Senators from FATA.

Flanked by NWFP Governor Owais Ahmad Ghanni and NWFP Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti , the advisor said that Kurram Agency problem is deep rooted and would be solved by taking all the stakeholders on board.

He said that a grand jirga comprising Shia and Sunni elders would be Constituted within the next five to seven days to negotiate with the warring tribes to find durable solution to the problem. Rehman Malik said that the jirga members would visit Kohat and Parachinar for talks with both factions.

Rehman Malik said that seven relief camps have been setup by NWFP government to provide relief to 219,000 displaced tribesmen of Bajaur Agency. He said that federal government will provide Rs.100 million and 50 trucks of food and other edibles among the affectees of Bajaur Operation. He said that Rs.150million has already been distributed by the NWFP government on rehabilitation of displaced people. (Posted @ 20:24 PST)

Thank goodness, at last some sense has prevailed.

Warring tribesmen of Kurram should remain peaceful or face operation:

Rehman Malik PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Aug 15 (APP): Advisor to Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik Friday warned the warring tribesmen in Kurram Agency to remain peaceful and cooperate with the law enforcing agencies or face the operation by law enforcing agencies. “I give 72 hours deadline to the warring tribesmen of restive Kurram Agency to remain peaceful or face the operation,” he said after a meeting with MNAs and Senators from FATA.

Flanked by NWFP Governor Owais Ahmad Ghanni and NWFP Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti , the advisor said that Kurram Agency problem is deep rooted and would be solved by taking all the stakeholders on board.

He said that a grand jirga comprising Shia and Sunni elders would be Constituted within the next five to seven days to negotiate with the warring tribes to find durable solution to the problem. Rehman Malik said that the jirga members would visit Kohat and Parachinar for talks with both factions.

Rehman Malik said that seven relief camps have been setup by NWFP government to provide relief to 219,000 displaced tribesmen of Bajaur Agency. He said that federal government will provide Rs.100 million and 50 trucks of food and other edibles among the affectees of Bajaur Operation. He said that Rs.150million has already been distributed by the NWFP government on rehabilitation of displaced people. (Posted @ 20:24 PST)

such bluster will only stiffen their resolve!

KHAR (August 15 2008): Around 135,000 residents have fled a Pakistani tribal area bordering Afghanistan to escape clashes between troops and Taliban militants that have left scores dead, officials said Thursday. The officials said that up to half of the population of some villages in the troubled Bajaur tribal district had moved, although militants were stopping people from leaving some areas.

"We have around 135,000 people who have left their homes there," the additional chief secretary for the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Habibullah Khan, told AFP. "We have directed officials in adjoining districts to provide shelter, food and health care to the migrating families. We are setting up more camps to help these people just like refugees," he said.

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AFP) - Pakistan's interior ministry chief said Friday that over 460 Islamic militants and 22 soldiers have been killed in more than a week of fighting in a tribal area bordering Afghanistan.

More than 3,000 armed militants, most of them foreigners, are taking part in the clashes in the troubled Bajaur tribal region, said Rehman Malik, the prime minister's advisor on interior matters.

Pakistan sent security forces backed by helicopter gunships and fighter jets into Bajaur last week amid intense pressure from the United States to curb militants launching attacks in Afghanistan.

"Extremists wanted to establish their hold in Bajaur and the government had to take action," Malik told a news conference in the northwestern city of Peshawar.

"Until today 462 militants have been killed in Bajaur and a similar number have been injured. Twenty-two troops have been killed and some are missing in action," Malik said.

The "major portion" of the militants were foreigners, Malik said, adding that they included "Afghans, Chechens, Yemenis and Afro-Asians."

There has been no independent corroboration of the figures.

Provincial governor Owais Ghani said that around 219,000 people have been displaced from Bajaur, adding that the provincial government had set up nine camps to provide them shelter, food and medicines.

Pakistan's newly elected government has drawn criticism from western allies for earlier negotiations with Taliban militants based near the rugged Afghan frontier.

There has been further alarm abroad over the government's plans to impeach President Pervez Musharraf, a key ally in the US-led "war on terror".

I think US is purposely denying such equipment and we know why? Point is is US the only country from which we can get this equipment, why not someplace else?

Dear, Icecold sir..
surly, we can find matching equipment but! the major problum was USAs edge inthe space. that is the reason why? these GROUND POSITIONING LOCATION SYSTEMS were more meaning less without a conection into the space!
but, i agree to your point sure!!! we can find less tech but , equaly important equipment in the open black market, which at least give us some sort of important information about the movements of these killers(talibans):agree::tup:
Therefore GOP should start looking into the matter by its own & should stop asking everything from USA, i cant understand why we always need everything from USA &, in the end! we always end up crying for the
bad influence of CIA ON ourselves, guss it should be stopped
now.:tsk::agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom