What's new

farmer commit suicide in AAP ralley live on TV

This is getting interesting... nothing to do with farmer's plight! There's a lot more revelations coming out... & I smell a rat here...

CDNd-FtUUAEHNi3.jpg:large

Its a stinking rat for sure. Check the suicide note, see how the name is corrected - Upendra to Gajendra. Who makes such a mistake?

CDOJAqeUIAAAG3q.jpg

The answer is rather obvious.

Why is it the farmer commits suicide because of poverty but the consumer never commits suicide because of lack of food or high prices of food ?

You missed the whole debate then. It was already proved that farmers have one of the lowest suicide rates in India compared to general population. Even within that, only 25% of suicides of a farmer was due to financial distress while 75% of suicides were due to other reasons.

Since the risk taken by the farmer is high, why is he not eligible for automatic insurance ?

A farmer cannot sell his agricultural land for non agricultural use, but he is denied insurance. why ?

So why is the govt. not buying at Rs. 140 a Kg ? Even with a shortage of rice and wheat after unseasonal rain, how come the price has not gone up ?

Because there is no shortage of food in India. The surpluses from last year are still in stock.

Nobody is going with begging bowl in hand. We need to go with hard earned cash in hand and pay for food and take advantage of Western subsidies.

Farmers are not the only ones without running water, why so much special consideration for them ? Because they can organize and vote in large numbers ?

The moment India goes to the international market looking for food, trust me there will be a world wide food inflation. Just a rumor a couple of years ago that India was going to shop sent the commodity prices zooming.

Last edited:
Its a stinking rat for sure. Check the suicide note, see how the name is corrected - Upendra to Gajendra. Who makes such a mistake?

CDOJAqeUIAAAG3q.jpg

There is more to it than meets the eye.. Delhi police is looking at that way too.. & apparently dead man's call records are quite suspicious too..

Farmer's death at AAP rally: Suicide or accident? Cops probe mystery - The Times of India
According to eyewitness accounts and police sources, the farmer had climbed the tree after being provoked by a group of people.

BJP is getting hammered on this land acquisition act. It need to do something. If label of being anti-farmer sticks, it would be very difficult to get rid of.

I do not know why BJP morons in last Lok Sabha supported this bill wholeheartedly knowing fully well that they are coming to power and this bill would be very difficult to undo. Short sighted stupid fellas.

BJP is getting hammered on this land acquisition act. It need to do something. If label of being anti-farmer sticks, it would be very difficult to get rid of.
There is no reason for BJP to be on the defensive! They should throw caution to the wind & get the bill passed by hook or crook in this session. Afterall it's RG who is leading the charge.. & he is bound embarrass himself sooner or later! In-fact all unpopular legislations should be seen through within the first two years of the new govt. Popular & appeasement measures can be kept for opportunistic period.
I do not know why BJP morons in last Lok Sabha supported this bill wholeheartedly knowing fully well that they are coming to power and this bill would be very difficult to undo. Short sighted stupid fellas.
It was the lutyen coterie of BJP to be blamed. They could have easily skipped that through then..'cuase it was never an election issue! No party was going to get any mileage... & it's not going to happen this time either!

It was the lutyen coterie of BJP to be blamed. They could have easily skipped that through then..'cuase it was never an election issue! No party was going to get any mileage... & it's not going to happen this time either!

Congress would have painted BJP as anti-farmer had BJP not supported the bill then. Given the scams and general economic environment in India, the right wing was desperate not to give Congress a chance to come back to power.

Why do you think? Because Delhi police is a Central government organization or maybe because they didn't get enough time to rescue or have enough resources to stop the guy from committing suicide?
I don't know, I wasn't there at the rally, I don't know the height of the tree, I don't know if the farmer had proclaimed this in advance, or if he had a sign hanging on his head, or he telepathically drilled his thoughts in arvinds head, You are the one who is saying it's arvind's fault to not being able to stop it.

A rajasthani farmer has committed suicide live on TV in AAP ralley held today in Delhi, he leave 3 kids behind whom he was unable to feed, who is responsible for this I think AAP can't run away this time

please, tell me why would you start a thread about a poor man and his struggles. How is this any buisness of ours to judge him or his poverty.

And Congress is making hay while the sun shines :LAB MAY BE ADJOURNED.

NDA's Land Bill: Farmer Gajendra Singh's suicide bad omen; opposition may move adjournment motion today
NEW DELHI: The suicide by Gajendra Singh, a farmer from Rajasthan, has created new worries for the government on the land acquisition bill as this incident has given fresh ammunition to the opposition to allege that the dispensation is "anti-farmer" and is trying to pass this legislation only to serve the interest of the corporates.

Congress and other opposition parties are likely to give adjournment motion and suspension of Question Hour notices in both Houses of Parliament on Thursday and demand a discussion and reply from the government, sources said. Meanwhile, the government is in a spot as its troubles have been compounded by the fact that Rajya Sabha resumes on Thursday and the Opposition will raise the issue strongly and link it to the land acquisition bill.

The issue was discussed in the Union Cabinet on Wednesday evening and Home Minister Rajnath Singh is likely to make a statement in both the Houses on the issue, sources said. Soon after the news of the suicide by the 41-year-old farmer came in, Rajnath Singh called up Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung and Police Commissioner BS Bassi and then ordered an inquiry.

Realising that the suicide will impact the fate of the land bill, government swung into action immediately to counter its political repercussions. Health Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda and Minister of State for Agriculture Sanjeev Baliyan visited the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. The doctors informed the ministers that Gajendra Singh was brought dead.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the suicide on his twitter handle. "Gajendra's death has saddened the Nation. We are all deeply shattered & disappointed. Condolences to his family... At no point must the hardworking farmer think he is alone. We are all together in creating a better tomorrow for the farmers of India," Modi said. Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi pipped Nadda and Baliyan to the post by reaching the hospital before them.

I don't know, I wasn't there at the rally, I don't know the height of the tree, I don't know if the farmer had proclaimed this in advance, or if he had a sign hanging on his head, or he telepathically drilled his thoughts in arvinds head, You are the one who is saying it's arvind's fault to not being able to stop it.

When did I blame him for not stopping the suicide? I am blaming him for playing cheap politics over this unfortunate death. As if the Delhi police was under the Delhi government, Arvind Kejriwal would have somehow magically stopped the man from committing suicide!

please, tell me why would you start a thread about a poor man and his struggles. How is this any buisness of ours to judge him or his poverty.

Save your tears for some other day.

He is not poor (his family has 50 Bigha land), not just a farmer (He had Safa tying business too with dedicated website), and a political worker of AAP.

His death is more of a political stunt gone wrong.

Last edited:
Any price higher than the market rate is a handout and charity. First, they don't pay income tax, then they get subsidies on everything under sun, they there are periodic "loan waiver", after that free stuffs because they are poor. I mean, if that much amount is calculated as income, they would be way richer than middle class people. Only solution is to divert them to industrialization... it is not 2015 BCE..

You are mixing the issue. Industrialization is a separate topic. I am talking about Farmer and Farming. How to ake them sustainable and profitable and possibly enjoyable.

Those who wants to build industries, let them do so. Why does that sneak in during a debate about farmers ? are they mutually exclusive ?

The market rate is artificially rigged. The preservation of developed countries’ agricultural subsidies has often resulted in ‘dumping’ of surpluses in developing countries, again undercutting local producers. This DUMPED surpluses do not represent true MARKET RATE.

Do you really think the farmer in France or Germany can produce food cheaper than the farmer in poorer countries? How is that even possible ?

Subsidy to Farmers and Fishermen constitute 40% of EU budget :cheesy: ............ is that what you call free market ?

Every farm in EU got a subsidy of Euro 11,500 in 2014. That is nearly Rs. 8 Lakh to every farmer.

If you want Free market, remove the restrictions on the farmer to convert his farm land into non agriculture land. You destroy his FREEDOM and then talk about Free market in the same tone. What kind of elitist attitude is this ? Hypocrisy much ?

Don't give loan waivers, give access to capital.
Don't waive income tax, provide good price for produce.
Don't give subsidy, give fair price for produce.

The govt. does not do that for a reason. they cannot AFFORD to do that. It is easier and cheaper to pretending giving hand outs and exploit the farmers.

You missed the whole debate then. It was already proved that farmers have one of the lowest suicide rates in India compared to general population. Even within that, only 25% of suicides of a farmer was due to financial distress while 75% of suicides were due to other reasons..

North Korea has the lowest suicide rate in the world. That does not make NK a great place to live.

suicide is one of the symptom. There are many others. Question is given a choice, who how many would choose to be a farmer ? its the last choice for those without any real choices. Just above becoming a landless labourer and working in a construction site of a brick klink.

Because there is no shortage of food in India. The surpluses from last year are still in stock..

No, we have mastered the art of storing food for rats and rot while having the largest number of malnourished children in the world. Largest number of people who eat once or twice a day.

Let all Indians eat 3 meals a day and let all children go to school and have enough nourishment. Then let us calculate how much surplus food we have.

The moment India goes to the international market looking for food, trust me there will be a world wide food inflation. Just a rumor a couple of years ago that India was going to shop sent the commodity prices zooming.

That is a best case scenario.

You are mixing the issue. Industrialization is a separate topic. I am talking about Farmer and Farming. How to ake them sustainable and profitable and possibly enjoyable.

Those who wants to build industries, let them do so. Why does that sneak in during a debate about farmers ? are they mutually exclusive ?

The market rate is artificially rigged. The preservation of developed countries’ agricultural subsidies has often resulted in ‘dumping’ of surpluses in developing countries, again undercutting local producers. This DUMPED surpluses do not represent true MARKET RATE.

Do you really think the farmer in France or Germany can produce food cheaper than the farmer in poorer countries? How is that even possible ?

Subsidy to Farmers and Fishermen constitute 40% of EU budget :cheesy: ............ is that what you call free market ?

Every farm in EU got a subsidy of Euro 11,500 in 2014. That is nearly Rs. 8 Lakh to every farmer.

If you want Free market, remove the restrictions on the farmer to convert his farm land into non agriculture land. You destroy his FREEDOM and then talk about Free market in the same tone. What kind of elitist attitude is this ? Hypocrisy much ?

Don't give loan waivers, give access to capital.
Don't waive income tax, provide good price for produce.
Don't give subsidy, give fair price for produce.

The govt. does not do that for a reason. they cannot AFFORD to do that. It is easier and cheaper to pretending giving hand outs and exploit the farmers.

North Korea has the lowest suicide rate in the world. That does not make NK a great place to live.

suicide is one of the symptom. There are many others. Question is given a choice, who how many would choose to be a farmer ? its the last choice for those without any real choices. Just above becoming a landless labourer and working in a construction site of a brick klink.

No, we have mastered the art of storing food for rats and rot while having the largest number of malnourished children in the world. Largest number of people who eat once or twice a day.

Let all Indians eat 3 meals a day and let all children go to school and have enough nourishment. Then let us calculate how much surplus food we have.

That is a best case scenario.
Industries and farming are indeed mutually exclusive. People can't do farming and work in industry at the same time. Agri products are out of free market purview. So how much EU or US are giving in subsidy doesn't matter. About every EU farmer getting 8 lakh (that is more like 7 now), how much did Indian farmer get? what was total subsidy burden of NAREGA itself? including free power, free this, free that?? Conversion of farm land to industry has nothing to do with free "market".. if one can't farm, they can sell it to one who can. And who said farm land can't be turned into industry? there are certain procedure to do that which needs to be followed, which happens all the time. Even industries have land use restrictions and can't be converted to other type without going through bureaucracy.. In the same way if you want to convert housing land to commercial... so every one has some restriction and farmers aren't unduly burdened. "access to capital", they already have. that is why they took loan (hence loan-waiver scheme). Now what happens if they don't pay back? Heck, we as farmers get 1 lakh per year at 4% flat interest. I mean, who else can get that much low interest rate? "provide good price"? what is good price? who decides that? already the MSP being given is way about market price.. "fair price" can go only lower. Current farmers can now only become daily wagers because they do not have any skills and industrial type work is not enough, why? because there are no infrastructural investment by the govt due to all subsidies being given (not only to farmers, but to middle class people as well) and on the top of it over taxation on the meager tax payers to rise that subsidy. Now it is chicken and egg situation. Only solution is to gradually reduce subsidies and simultaneously invest in infra, edu and industries... rising subsidy is not an option at all...

Back
Top Bottom