What's new

FAQs on India's Massive 34% Hike in Military Spending

Reminds me the good old "guns and butter" debate, should you buy more guns or butter ?

Exactly! It's about spending on guns to protect the well fed 5% rather than buy bread for the rest of the 95%. But it's a strategy that's bound to fail. No amount of guns can protect the privileged few against the multitudes of hungry and angry peasantry.

Exactly! It's about spending on guns to protect the well fed 5% rather than buy bread for the rest of the 95%. But it's a strategy that's bound to fail. No amount of guns can protect the privileged few against the multitudes of hungry and angry peasantry.

man this guy does not give up lol :hitwall:

Sir.. the guns are for the benefit of some of our neighbors who equally hate both the well fed and unfed indians. We realized the failings of not having enough guns in 1962 and said Never Again. And so far have fulfilled that promise.. And guess what built our economy while doing that..Harp all you want and point all you want at our shortcomings, you wont deter us. We have a saying in Indian subcontinent

" Kutton ke bhonkne se kaafile nahin rukte"

Please note that I am not abusing anyone, just trying to say that rants like these will not impede us, because thats all they are, inconsequential rants...

$1.25 is a lot of money in India. As per the current exch rates it is equal to Rs 60. A poor family of 4 spending Rs 240 per day (per capita Rs 50 per head) is not bad.It can provide basic essentials like food, govt education etc. In PPP terms it will be even more.
However, India needs to improve on this front, not withstanding what the stats say, poverty is a problem in India.
The question is not either guns or butter. We need both. For centuries India has been invaded b'coz of failure of rulers to ensure security. That needs to be understood and dealt with on a long term basis.

It's preposterous to say that $1.25 per person is a lot of money when India's food inflation is running in double digits and almost half of its next generation is malnourished and underweight.

It's even more preposterous that Indian govt is considering reducing the daily calorie intake poverty line from 2100 to 1800.

An ill-fed, illiterate nation can never claim to be a great power, no matter how many weapons it accumulates. It'll continue to be just another failed state.

It's preposterous to say that $1.25 per person is a lot of money when India's food inflation is running in double digits and almost half of its next generation is malnourished and underweight.

It's even more preposterous that Indian govt is considering reducing the daily calorie intake poverty line from 2100 to 1800.

An ill-fed, illiterate nation can never claim to be a great power, no matter how many weapons it accumulates. It'll continue to be just another failed state.
I think if the standard set for a failed state is your country, we have nothing to worry, we will never be "there".
Get a life.

I think if the standard set for a failed state is your country, we have nothing to worry, we will never be "there".
Get a life.

With almost half of the Indian children starving, you are way beyond a failed state already.

Wake up and smell the veggies!

Malnutrition is more common in India than in Sub-Saharan Africa. One in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.

Malnutrition limits development and the capacity to learn. It also costs lives: about 50 per cent of all childhood deaths are attributed to malnutrition.

In India, around 46 per cent of all children below the age of three are too small for their age, 47 per cent are underweight and at least 16 per cent are wasted. Many of these children are severely malnourished.

The prevalence of malnutrition varies across states, with Madhya Pradesh recording the highest rate (55 per cent) and Kerala among the lowest (27 per cent).

Malnutrition in children is not affected by food intake alone; it is also influenced by access to health services, quality of care for the child and pregnant mother as well as good hygiene practices. Girls are more at risk of malnutrition than boys because of their lower social status.

UNICEF India - Children's issues - Nutrition

With almost half of the Indian children starving, you are way beyond a failed state already.

Malnutrition is more common in India than in Sub-Saharan Africa. One in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.

Malnutrition limits development and the capacity to learn. It also costs lives: about 50 per cent of all childhood deaths are attributed to malnutrition.

In India, around 46 per cent of all children below the age of three are too small for their age, 47 per cent are underweight and at least 16 per cent are wasted. Many of these children are severely malnourished.

The prevalence of malnutrition varies across states, with Madhya Pradesh recording the highest rate (55 per cent) and Kerala among the lowest (27 per cent).

Malnutrition in children is not affected by food intake alone; it is also influenced by access to health services, quality of care for the child and pregnant mother as well as good hygiene practices. Girls are more at risk of malnutrition than boys because of their lower social status.

BTW do you have any comparison data for pakistan. The reason I asked is that you compared with sub saharan countries.

seriously i dont swear but your pushing it. Yes India is a failed state happy, now posting your idiotic comments please. Man your brain is smaller than a peanut for sure.

This seems to be the fashion now to call yourself an analyst or a consultant, brainless people like Mr.Haq get up and copy paste from all over the net and then open a blog to call themselves analyst of some kind. Zaid Hamid is also part of this club and its seems to be getting worse. The standard of this forum is being reduced to nothing but constant war of words because of people like RiazHaq who can only post hateful material that causes the emotions of many to stir. What they want to prove with their idiotic post is a mystery. Maybe they enjoy satisfying their small ego by insulting someone else’s country. It just shows now insecure of a person you are, I actually feel sad for you.

This seems to be the fashion now to call yourself an analyst or a consultant, brainless people like Mr.Haq get up and copy paste from all over the net and then open a blog to call themselves analyst of some kind. Zaid Hamid is also part of this club and its seems to be getting worse. The standard of this forum is being reduced to nothing but constant war of words because of people like RiazHaq who can only post hateful material that causes the emotions of many to stir. What they want to prove with their idiotic post is a mystery. Maybe they enjoy satisfying their small ego by insulting someone else’s country. It just shows now insecure of a person you are, I actually feel sad for you.
I have never seen Mr. Haq in the terror attack threads. seems like he doesn't care if his countrymen die. He is more interested in counting indian toilets.

I have never seen Mr. Haq in the terror attack threads. seems like he doesn't care if his countrymen die. He is more interested in counting indian toilets.

He is just another person obsessed with India and nothing more than that period.

Dont know what you want to prove by copy and pasting from Unicef site.. Believe you me.. today I can find 10 articles predicting Pakistan to fail for every 1 you find for India.. So let it be..

btw some endorsements from Unicef about Pakistan. Now you can dig up worse figures for India and I can counter that with ones about Pakistan.. You want to go that path, be my guest...

UNICEF Pakistan - Overview - Background

Issues facing children in Pakistan

• Pakistan’s maternal mortality ratio is estimated to be between 350 and 600 per 100,000 live births as compared to 17 per 100,000 live births in the United States.
• One in ten children does not survive their fifth birthday with the majority of deaths due to diarrhoea, pneumonia or vaccine-preventable diseases.
• Thirty per cent of children are chronically malnourished and lack safe water and household sanitation, especially in rural areas.
• Pakistan spends less than 2.5 per cent of its GDP on the education sector.
• Just over half of the 19 million children of primary school going age are enrolled in primary education.
• Compared to 58 per cent of boys, there are 48 per cent of girls enrolled in primary school.
• Just over a third of Pakistani women are literate.
• An estimated 3.6 million children under the age of 14 work, mostly in exploitative and hazardous labour.

Dont know what you want to prove by copy and pasting from Unicef site.. Believe you me.. today I can find 10 articles predicting Pakistan to fail for every 1 you find for India.. So let it be..

btw some endorsements from Unicef about Pakistan. Now you can dig up worse figures for India and I can counter that with ones about Pakistan.. You want to go that path, be my guest...

UNICEF Pakistan - Overview - Background

Issues facing children in Pakistan

• Pakistan’s maternal mortality ratio is estimated to be between 350 and 600 per 100,000 live births as compared to 17 per 100,000 live births in the United States.
• One in ten children does not survive their fifth birthday with the majority of deaths due to diarrhoea, pneumonia or vaccine-preventable diseases.
• Thirty per cent of children are chronically malnourished and lack safe water and household sanitation, especially in rural areas.
• Pakistan spends less than 2.5 per cent of its GDP on the education sector.
• Just over half of the 19 million children of primary school going age are enrolled in primary education.
• Compared to 58 per cent of boys, there are 48 per cent of girls enrolled in primary school.
• Just over a third of Pakistani women are literate.
• An estimated 3.6 million children under the age of 14 work, mostly in exploitative and hazardous labour.

You have proved my point. The fact that 30% of Pak children are malnourished is distressing and needs to be fixed, but it's still lower than India's 46%.

That's not all. Just look at the word hunger index and you'll see how much worse in India is compared with the bad situation in Pakistan.

And the child bonded labor situation is far worse in India than in Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: Persistent Hunger on World Food Day in South Asia

India tops world hunger chart - India - The Times of India

That's not all. Just look at the word hunger index and you'll see how much worse in India is compared with the bad situation in Pakistan.

Pakistan's Rank: 58
India's Rank: 65

But also check out the pathetic improvement for Pakistan, in 1990 Pakistan was at 24.7 and in 2009 reduced to 21.0
A mere change in 3.7% points from 1990 -2009

India was at 31.7 in 1990 and improved to 23.9 (2009)

Nothing to write home about but since invariably there is always a Indo-Pak comparison, its evident , in this case that this wont take much time for India to beat Pakistan here as well. The scale is actually impressive when you consider India as the second most populated country. Pakistan is failing miserably here! While one may celebrate the current ranking, the same figures, when compared across years paints a sorry figure for Pakistan.

http://www.concern.net/sites/concern.net/files/resource/2009/10/4079-ghi_09.pdf

Last edited:
I believe China removed 36% of its population from poverty from 1975-2005.

Time, Indians follow our lead.

But I don't think India should be compared to Pakistan, it is much harder to remove 500 million from poverty than say 40 million.

I think India should be compared with China.

Back
Top Bottom