What's new

FAQs on India's Massive 34% Hike in Military Spending

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Last year, India decided on a massive 34% increase year-over-year in its defense spending. Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about this dramatic move that puts India among the world's biggest spenders on defense.

Q1: How much does India really spend on defense?

A1: On paper, India spends $30 billion, about 3% of its GDP on defense, after an increase of 34% for 2010.

In reality, India spends closer to 3.5% of its GDP on defense.

Here's what Col.(Retd) Pavan Nair of the Indian Army has to say about it in a recent guest post on Haq's Musings:

India's own specified limit of 3% has been observed only by excluding several items like the cost of the MoD and the expenditure on military pensions which by itself amounts to 15% of the total defense outlay. Several other items like the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JAKLI, a regular regiment of the army consisting of thirteen battalions) and the Coast Guard are also excluded. A substantial part of the cost of the nuclear arsenal and allied systems is excluded. All para-military forces including the ones directly involved in border management are excluded. The Parliamentary Committee on Defense spends most of its time on personnel matters and resolving issues of protocol between the service chiefs and the defense secretary. The Committee looks at DE but beyond stating that DE should be pegged at 3% of GDP, it has nothing substantial to contribute. Clearly, parliamentary oversight and control seems to be missing. For several years, DE in aggregate has crossed 3% of GDP.

Pakistan spends about $4.3 billion annually, less than 3% of its GDP, and there has been no real increase year-over-year in 2010. There was a 10.15 per cent nominal increase from Rs 311.303 billion revised defense budget for 2009-2010. In real terms, however, it represents a decrease because inflation in Pakistan exceeds nominal increase in defense. Pakistan’s defense allocation does not include foreign assistance, which is expected add about a billion dollars to defense spending for operations against Taliban insurgents. The aggregate $5.5 billion of military spending by Pakistan accounts for about 3% of its $ 175 billion GDP.

“The war on terror has already cost us over $35 billion since 2001-02. We now face the prospects of incurring huge expenditure on account of counter-insurgency,” according to Pakistan's deputy finance minister Hina Rabbani Khar.

Q2: Doesn't India need to spend more on defense to fight the terrorists in the region?

A2: Terrorism is just an excuse by Indian military to get large funds and buy expensive cold war era weapons which are useless against asymmetrical threat from the terrorists any way. It lines the pockets of the arms dealers (and a few corrupt generals and officials) without increasing India's security against potential terror attacks.

The 34% increase can not be explained by India military pay hikes alone, given India's huge shopping list and its status as one of the biggest importers of military hardware in the world. The real aim is to intimidate India's neighbors, and assert India's hegemony. But it won't work as long as India has serious challenges of poverty, illiteracy, hunger, social inequity and multiple insurgencies at home by its most impoverished citizens.

Q3: Won't India just grow out of poverty, hunger, illiteracy through rapid economic expansion of its economy?

A3: Over a decade of rapid economic growth in India has done little to help its poor, hungry and illiterate population.

India has miserably failed to use a period of high economic growth to lift tens of millions of people out of poverty, falling far short of China’s record in protecting its population from the ravages of chronic hunger, United Nations officials said recently. In 2008, British Development Minister Alexander contrasted the rapid growth in China with India's economic success - highlighting government figures that showed the number of poor people had dropped in the one-party communist state by 70% since 1990 but had risen in the world's biggest democracy by 5%.

In the context of unprecedented economic growth (9-10 percent annually) and lack of national food security, over 60 percent of Indian children are wasted, stunted, underweight or a combination of the above. As a result, India ranks number 62 along with Bangladesh at 67 in the PHI (Poverty Hunger Index)ranking out of a total of 81 countries. Both nations are included among the low performing countries in progress towards MDG1 (Millennium Development Goals) with countries such as Nepal (number 58), Ethiopia (number 60), or Zimbabwe (number 74).

Ranked at 45 on PHI index, Pakistan is well ahead of India at number 62, and it is included in the medium performing countries. PHI is a new composite indicator – the Poverty and Hunger Index (PHI) – developed to measure countries’ performance towards achieving MDG1 on halving poverty and hunger by 2015. The PHI combines all five official MDG1 indicators, including a) the proportion of population living on less than US$ 1/day, b) poverty gap ratio, c) share of the poorest quintile in national income or consumption, d) prevalence of underweight in children under five years of age, and d) the proportion of population undernourished.

Q4: Why can't India do both: Increase defense spending and reduce poverty, illiteracy, hunger and disease?

A4: Defense spending should not be a sacred cow. Huge increases shouldn't get approved with little or no debate, and there should be much greater oversight of how it's spent.

It needs to be discussed and debated rationally in the parliament and the media.

What I find is that there is more debate and discussion in Pakistan on defense spending than there is in India, in spite of the fact Pakistan is fighting a war against determined insurgents in the North West.

In spite of its many other urgent issues like access to food, education and health care, it's a shame that a huge 34% boost in defense budget got approved in India without much serious discussion. A similar dramatic increase in Pakistan would have elicited howls of protest and loud demands to curtail it.

Q5: Why should there be any discussion or debate in India on defense budgets when there is consensus among all political parties that military spending should increase?

A5: That may be a good explanation of lack of debate, but the size of the increase at 34% year over year should be too big to slide through parliament without much scrutiny. And it's strange that there is no such consensus on similar spending increases on food, health care, education and poverty alleviation where India lags behind many of its neighbors.

In 2008, Indian Planning Commission member Syeda Hameed acknowledged that India is worse than Bangladesh and Pakistan when it comes to nourishment and is showing little improvement.

Speaking at a conference on "Malnutrition an emergency: what it costs the nation", she said even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during interactions with the Planning Commission has described malnourishment as the "blackest mark".

"I should not compare. But countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are better," she said. The conference was organized last year by the Confederation of Indian Industry and the Ministry of Development of Northeastern Region.

According to India's Family Health Survey, almost 46 percent of children under the age of three are undernourished - an improvement of just one percent in the last seven years. This is only a shade better than Sub-Saharan Africa where about 35 percent of children are malnourished.

Unlike Indian military which got 34% increase this year, there is no one talking about a similar spending increase for human development in a nation that is slipping to lower ranks in human development. In fact, the latest Human Development Report for 2009 shows that all major South Asian nations have slipped further down relative to other regions of the world. Pakistan's HDI ranking dropped 3 places from 138 last year to 141 this year, and India slipped six places from 128 in 2008 to 134 this year.

The total per-capita expenditure on health (central as well as state expenditure) is about a third of the per-capita expenditure on defense in India. This low level of funding is the prime reason for poor health parameters which in turn keeps a large proportion of the population in perpetual debt and poverty. The UN millennium development goals pertaining to mortality rates and poverty are not likely to be achieved mainly on account of poor spending and delivery in the health sector. The allocation for federal spending on health in the current year is Rs 22,641 crores or merely 0.4% of GDP.

Q6: Why Is the Indian defense spending any of this blogger's business?

A6: India's military spending directly affects the entire south Asian region. It increases the threat perception in the neighborhood, particularly when the Indian military brass engages in threatening rhetoric in the midst of its huge arms buildup. It distorts the spending priorities of Pakistan, a smaller neighbor which was invaded and divided by India in 1971.

Recently, Lt-General A S Lamba of Indian Army has been quoted by the India media as boating about a "massive thrust into Rawalpindi to quiet Pakistanis within 48 hours of the start of assault." Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor has said India is ready for a “the successful firming-up of the cold start strategy (to be able to go to war promptly) in the multiple fronts against multiple different militias at the same time.” General Kapoor has talked about taking on China and Pakistan at the same time.

Haq's Musings: FAQs on India's Massive 34% Defense Budget Hike

Haq's Musings: India's Arms Buildup: Guns Versus Bread

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Look I can sound smart too :cheesy:

Q1: How much does Pakistan really spend on defense?

3.20 % in 2008, 4.9% in 2005, Unlike India we can never calculate the on paper value because Mr.haq hasn't told you us yet
Source: CIA World Factbook
Pakistan Military expenditures - percent of GDP - Military

Contadiction by Mr.Haq

he quotes: when he speaks for Pakistan

The war on terror has already cost us over $35 billion since 2001-02. We now face the prospects of incurring huge expenditure on account of counter-insurgency,” according to Pakistan's deputy finance minister Hina Rabbani Khar.

and also when he speaks for India
"which are useless against asymmetrical threat from the terrorists any way. It lines the pockets of the arms dealers (and a few corrupt generals and officials) without increasing India's security against potential terror attacks."

make sense for his country not mine..:blink::D

"What I find is that there is more debate and discussion in Pakistan on defense spending than there is in India, in spite of the fact Pakistan is fighting a war against determined insurgents in the North West.
"
if you merely giving us your opinion, can I give you mine? :D or you want to prove it to us here that

"There is more debate and discussion in Pakistan on defense spending than there is in India"

And obviously, the only field that this blogger can ever make a comparison on, wrt India is poverty as far as Pakistan is concerned, hence:

1) Poverty and Defence
2) Slums in Karachi better than Mumbai (obviously he will not mention where Indian cities fall in the roster of "Rich" Cites, or why Dhaka is above any Pakistani city in list of cities by GDP2020 why? he cannot make a comparison, the only way he can pull Pakistan with India is Poverty! :tdown:)

Q6: Why Is Haq Musings any of this User's business?

Simply because he is involved in utter India Bashing, read above or go to his blog and show me the percentage of reports that does not have India mentioned or even better show me the number of posts where India is praised vs his obsession with India's poverty or show me conclusive evidence in his rants of comparisons between India and Pakistan. I can quote from several resources based on what I want and make up reports.

:hitwall:

You guys are so arrogant, even when the facts are lying right in front of your face. Look, you have to listen to the good and the bad, if you think this is a place where all you see everyday is "India is so good," then you are at the wrong place. If we look at Gogbot's snobbish post, it clearly resembles work of an 18 year old, or maybe that's where we're getting this garbage from...

Here's what Col.(Retd) Pavan Nair of the Indian Army has to say about it in a recent guest post on Haq's Musings:

<snip>

Haq's Musings: India's Arms Buildup: Guns Versus Bread
Just to clarify to the members, Col. (Retd.) Pavan Nair's article was originally published in EPW on 19/12/2009. That blog has merely reproduced it with permission. Below is an unedited e-mail message from Col.(Retd.) P. Nair in response to a query sent by a friend of mine. I have only edited the name and e-mail of my friend. He had forwarded it to me a few days back.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: your blog post at Haq's musing
To: [the friend]

Dear [the friend],
Thanks for your mail. The article has been posted with my permisiion however I would like to clarify that the article was not written for that blog or any other website but was published by the Economic and Political Weekly (EPW) in its issue dated 19 December 2009. The 2004 article attempted to create a mathematical model to link defence and development expenditure. The scope of this article is different. You are welcome to point out any errors in facts or methodology at the blog or to the Editor of EPW. Regards. Col Pavan Nair, VSM (Retd)

The figures quoted are inaccurate; anyone who has access to realibale information knows that Pakistan spends a higher percentage of it GDP on defence than India. The defence budget in Pakistan also does not include the pensions of retired officials and other such charges. That apart the tax reliefs and govt. subsidies enjoyed by the Fauji foundation give the military market monopoly in many business matters also donot show up in the budget & the foundation hardly pays any taxes.

The majority money for the nuclear weapons programme is also sourced from other sources.

The defence budget in India is approved by the parliament and is open debate and discussion, but no such thing happens in Pakistan - the Military decides how much money they want and take it (the parliament has no say). Though there has been considerable impovement recently - the PA allowed the parliament to see the amount of expenditure which was set apart for defence, quiet an improvement!!!

Lastly - India with its booming economy & forex reserves in excess of 300 $ billion can afford to spend money on stuff that catches our fancy, the same cant be said of Pakistan, with virtually no forex reserves (the situation was so dire that they had to resort to an emergency lone from the IMF) and military handouts from the United States keeping the military aflote. No wonder the blogger didnt do an internal introspection!!!

Last edited:
The figures quoted are inaccurate; anyone who has access to realibale information knows that Pakistan spends a higher percentage of it GDP on defence than India. The defence budget in Pakistan also does not include the pensions of retired officials and other such charges. That apart the tax reliefs and govt. subsidies enjoyed by the Fauji foundation give the military market monopoly in many business matters.

The majority money for the nuclear weapons programme is also sourced from other sources.

The defence budget in India is approved by the parliament and is open debate and discussion, but no such thing happens in Pakistan - the Military decides how much money they want and take it (the parliament has no say). Though there has been considerable impovement recently - the PA allowed the parliament to see the amount of expenditure which was set apart for defence, quiet an improvement!!!

Lastly - India with its booming economy & forex reserves in excess of 300 $ billion can afford to spend money on stuff that catches our fancy, the same cant be said of Pakistan, with virtually no forex reserves (the situation was so dire that they had to resort to an emergency lone from the IMF) and military handouts from the United States keeping the military aflote. No wonder the blogger didnt do an internal introspection!!!

Nice source

You guys are so arrogant, even when the facts are lying right in front of your face. Look, you have to listen to the good and the bad, if you think this is a place where all you see everyday is "India is so good," then you are at the wrong place. If we look at Gogbot's snobbish post, it clearly resembles work of an 18 year old, or maybe that's where we're getting this garbage from...

Tell me when an Indian has not accepted we still are a poor nation?
just because a blogger (as he calls himself) can quote, selectively and target one country while almost claiming there is nothing wrong with his, does not portray very sincere intent!

India has problems with Poverty and much more but claiming the slums in Karachi is better than the slums in Mumbai or saying India does not need to spend on defense without even taking the ground realities in his argument and making contradictory statements when it comes to his country and not mine deserves question and when you still don't get conclusive reasoning, sorry you will be attacked like he is being, he is a blogger and netizen so he should know what to expect :D

I know some of you who engage in personal attacks and abusive and juvenile behavior are not serious participants in any meaningful debate.

But those of you who are serious about learning the true facts and the data on which I have based my post on India's massive increases in military spending in spite of of the abject poverty of the Indian people, you can visit my blog and see and follow the links to all of the sources.

Haq's Musings

Tell me when an Indian has not accepted we still are a poor nation?
just because a blogger (as he calls himself) can quote, selectively and target one country while almost claiming there is nothing wrong with his, does not portray very sincere intent!

India has problems with Poverty and much more but claiming the slums in Karachi is better than the slums in Mumbai or saying India does not need to spend on defense without even taking the ground realities in his argument and making contradictory statements when it comes to his country and not mine deserves question and when you still don't get conclusive reasoning, sorry you will be attacked like he is being, he is a blogger and netizen so he should know what to expect :D

The thing is, I never mentioned poverty. I was referring to the source as the base of agreement.

I dont think the intent is to say that India is so good. The intent (sometime over eager) here is to question the intent and cherry picking approach of the writer to put forward his extremely biased and prejudised opinion under the guise of research output.
But to each his own..

Though I agree to one part of the FAQs here.. the ques no 6 . India's defence spending is none of his business.

I am sure you can do better than that. Or the very thought of trying to make sense was too taxing for you.

Advice - read Military Inc by Ayesha Siddiqa (she is a Pakistani journalist). That will help you overcome your ignorance.

I know this is a distraction from the topic at hand which is about defense spending, not about military's participation in business and industry. But let me tell you that I am well aware of Ayesha Siddiqa's work, and I believe she is factually incorrect and misguided about much of what she has written.

Direct or indirect participation of any military in any nation's industrial and economic development is positive, as demonstrated by the extraordinary pace of industrialization in China, led by the Chinese Army's efforts. No other country in the history of the world since the Industrial revolution has industrialized as rapidly as China.

Since the 1980s, many of the PLA companies have now become part of the global economy. According research done by David Welker for Multinational Monitor, in pursuit of hard currency, many of the companies have listed themselves on capital markets in Hong Kong and elsewhere, opened representative offices in overseas markets, solicited foreign companies for joint ventures and partnerships in China and emphasized exports. The so-called red chips, companies listed on the Hong Kong exchange but which are in fact mainland Chinese firms, are the hottest stocks on the market. Hong Kong is the PLA's favored stock exchange because of its loose disclosure guidelines. China Poly Group has two listed companies: Continental Mariner Company Ltd. and Poly Investments Holdings Ltd. Both Continental Mariner and Poly Investments have a large number of subsidiary companies in mainland China, Hong Kong and tax havens like Liberia, the British Virgin Islands and Panama. China Carrie's listed company in Hong Kong is Hongkong Macau Holdings Ltd. China Carrie also owns HMH China Investments Ltd. on the Toronto Stock Exchange and HMH Gold Mining on the Australian Stock Exchange. 999 Enterprise Group, another company controlled by the PLA General Logistics Department, operates Sanjiu Pharmaceuticals Group, the largest pharmaceuticals manufacturer in China. 999 recently listed on the Hong Kong exchange.

I believe Pakistan's military should take a leaf from the Chinese PLA playbook. It should do what is necessary to strengthen the nation's industry, economy and national security, regardless of any critics, including Ayesha Siddiqa Agha and her myriad fans. This is the best way forward to a well-educated, industrialized, prosperous and democratic Pakistan in the future.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Military Business and Industrial Revolution

Riaz what is definition of massive ? When your country's defense expenditure is much more in comparison of GDP.

I know this is a distraction from the topic at hand which is about defense spending, not about military's participation in business and industry. But let me tell you that I am well aware of Ayesha Siddiqa's work, and I believe she is factually incorrect and misguided about much of what she has written.

Oh!! is that so. You have all the right information and facts - and she is the one who pens an international bestseller (published by Oxford University Press) & your talents have confined you to writing blogs. Its hardly a fair world then.

Anyone who knows anything about Pakistan and its military will only nod in agreement about Dr.Siddiqa's work. The Time magazine carried out a similar article about the fauji foundation.

Some how i find it hard to take your word (a mere blogger) over two reputed sources!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom