What's new

FAQs on India's Massive 34% Hike in Military Spending

So whats Your problem in it buddy, Is it affecting you.... even when u spend 7-10B$ in defense, You are leaving behind poor people and Illitracy at its peak.... Now India does not work the way Pakistan works... We dont Divert funds.... We have been Using 3% of Our GDP for AGES, Now Our economy grows and So does our defense spending and every other spending.....

Neither your claim of 3% of GDP for Indian defense, nor your claim of of 7-10B $ in Pak defense is based on any credible data from any reliable source. Everything I have said is supported by data and sources. Anyone interested in real facts can follow the links to the sources I cite on my blog.

In fact, none of what you says in your statement above is supported by any factual data. It's just a knee jerk response to support your position regardless of facts.

Neither your claim of 3% of GDP for Indian defense, nor your claim of of 7-10B $ in Pak defense is based on any credible data from any reliable source. Everything I have said is supported by data and sources. Anyone interested in real facts can follow the links to the sources I cite on my blog.

In fact, none of what you says in your statement above is supported by any factual data. It's just a knee jerk response to support your position regardless of facts.

When u got the right to promote ur blog, I got the right to share my Information..... Well You take it If you want to, or dont if you dont want to, Every one knows that India spends Not more than 3% of its GDP...

pakistan and bangladesh better than india eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not my statement, it came from a senior member of India's planning commission.

New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) India is worse than Bangladesh and Pakistan when it comes to nourishment and is showing little improvement in the area despite big money being spent on it, says Planning Commission member Syeda Hameed.

'There has been an enormous infusion of funds. But the National Family Health Survey gives a different story on malnourishment in the country. We don't know, something is just not clicking,' Hameed said.

Speaking at a conference on 'Malnutrition an emergency: what it costs the nation', she said even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during interactions with the Planning Commission has described malnourishment as the 'blackest mark'.

'I should not compare. But countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are better,' she said. The conference was organised Monday by the Confederation of Indian Industry and the Ministry of Development of Northeastern Region.

According to India's National Family Health Survey, almost 46 percent of children under the age of three are undernourished - an improvement of just one percent in the last seven years. This is only a shade better than Sub-Saharan Africa where about 35 percent of children are malnourished.

Hameed said the government's Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) programme, which is a flagship programme to improve the health of women and children, had not shown results despite a lot of money being spent on it in the past few years.

'We have not been successful in improving the status of health of our women and children,' she added.

The annual budget for women and child development (WCD) ministry in 2008-9 is Rs.72 billion. Of this, Rs.63 billion is for ICDS.

According to Unicef, every year 2.1 million children in India die before celebrating their fifth birthday. While malnutrition is the primary reason behind it, other factors like lack of health facilities, hygiene and good nutrition compound the problem.

Narrating her experiences while travelling the length and breadth of the country, Hameed said in many areas women were still starving and finding it difficult to feed their children.

She said emphasis should be given on inclusive breast-feeding for six months after a child's birth, maternity benefits for pregnant women and food fortification of ready to eat mid-day meals.

'We are concerned and worried that we are losing human beings in such a manner. It is a disappointment and a blot. We have just improved a fraction and we are determined that we do not let it get worse,' she said.

'It is frustrating to see this dark and dismal picture of undernourishment in the country. We have to learn the experiences from other South Asian countries,' she added.

The NFHS survey found that levels of anaemia in children and women had worsened compared to seven years ago -- around 56 percent of women and 79 percent of children below three years are anaemic.

Vinita Bali, managing director of Britannia Industries, said the problem was very critical and action was needed from both the government and the industry.

She said their 'Tiger' biscuits had been fortified with iron and had shown amazing results. These biscuits have been provided to children in Hyderabad with a midday meal.

'We conducted a study and found that in six months of taking these biscuits, the haemoglobin increased. The biscuits are not only healthy but also fortified,' she said.

Victor Aguayo, the head of child nutrition and development at Unicef, said fighting malnourishment is central to the survival of the child.

'There should be a balance between prevention and treatment. Our focus should be to target the most vulnerable and then only we will have a much healthier future for India,' he added.

'India worse than Pakistan, Bangladesh on nourishment' ? Sulekha News

I was wrong that pakistan spends 7-10 b$... it only spends 4b$...

I know Mumbai is the excuse, although the cold war era stuff your military is buying is useless against the asymmetrical threat from the terrorists. But I guess the urban educated middle class in India doesn't care about such minor details.

Its not just about terrorists. With increase in tension, we have to have something to show off to our beloved neighbor.
We cant have numerical parity with your best friend from our north. But we need to have something as a deterrence, just like Pak keeps for us.
Only the big purchases gets limelight. While small ones go unseen. If you go beyond the highlights, you would know lot has been done and spend to stop terrorism, though I wont call it sufficient.
About education and poverty, how much do you know we are spending, and how many projects are there? That said, even the whole spending is not properly utilized. If we are allocating 100Rs on such things, and only 80 can be utilized, what would we gain allocating more. Its not just allotting more money that is needed, but proper utilization is more required.

The policy makers in New Delhi are well aware of this fact. After all, no one will give them votes for making an AC carrier, or purchasing more aerial refueler etc, but certainly they would need to show a lot in poverty/education department. And getting the votes is what the politicians care about most. When you go beyond the internet community or defence personals, not many people want money on gun, rather they want food and education. So you dont need to worry, people make the govt to worry enough.

This is not my statement, it came from a senior member of India's planning commission.

New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) India is worse than Bangladesh and Pakistan when it comes to nourishment and is showing little improvement in the area despite big money being spent on it, says Planning Commission member Syeda Hameed.

'There has been an enormous infusion of funds. But the National Family Health Survey gives a different story on malnourishment in the country. We don't know, something is just not clicking,' Hameed said.

My point exactly, pumping in more money is useless. We spend a lot of money already, but the system is highly inefficient. This problem cannot be addressed just by spending more money, rather different actions are required.

One thing I really find amusing this blogger, he tend to bring in Indian Defence budget as a major reason for overlooking of Indian Poverty. Why does he only bringing only defence budget for the same, there are other budgets like FDI investment, Power investment, Banking and Industrial investment which form a major part of our Fiscal budget? well, if he is concerned about Indian poverty stricken people then certainly I would like hear his opinion about various other budgets other then defence, since according to him even those investement should be diverted to meet the needs of Indian poverty driven people, isn't it?

I know Mumbai is the excuse, although the cold war era stuff your military is buying is useless against the asymmetrical threat from the terrorists. But I guess the urban educated middle class in India doesn't care about such minor details.

Sir,
India Is buying Cornershot guns which will be used in counter terrorism.

Coast guards buying 40, ships, 20 boats and 42 aircrafts. Seven offshore patrol; vessels, 20 fast patrol vessels and 12 Dornier aircrafts to prevent any further 26/11 from Pakistan's "non-state" actors.

And about defence imports..........A company has to invest in India a share of the deal. That will result in new jobs and help in economy.

Coast guards , BSF, CRPF, ITBP, Assam riffles etc cannot be included in military. They are paramilitary forces build to operate inside India.

I am sorry to say but you are too away from reality.
Forex reserve help little in removing poverty.
And there were many Pakistani member friends who were making fun when news was out about 50% outdated defence systems.

If India bashing makes you happy .........its upto you.:confused:

pakistan and bangladesh better than india eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:rofl::rofl::rofl:look check ur reserves u 2 combined dont hav da resources 2 match india. not 2 mention that were growing at 7.7% in recession.10 more years and ull see da diff. besides forbes 2009 mnc list has only 4 chinese biggies compared to indias 13.china has grown only due to total fdi.china has no companies of its own.its only a foreign manufacturing hub.well catch with them in 10 years.bcos there nearin saturation level just like japan did in da 90's.we still need 1.5 trillion dollars worth of fdi.well get that in 20 years.dont worry .then well talk.........:D:D

You should read this thread

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/46447-stumbling-tiger-leaping-dragon.html

India is a sovereign state and she has the right to do what she wants. If she wants to spend a $100 billion on defense she can and that is a FACT.

Now every country on this planet has taken approach of strengthening its military first and then strengthening the poor.
Now if India spends 3% or 3.5% in defense, we say it will de-stabilize the region.
Allow me to explain here that its almost 40 years when China became a nuclear power....Was the region destabilized?, I will say No...it took good 20 years to the next big country, India to bloddy TEST a nuclear bomb....so explain me how the so called de-stabilizing factor of being nuclear,affected India....It did not!!. in fact India took its time to develope that SKILL. You may dream to create a device that can blow or settle the planet, but After a reality check you know that it was a wet dream, but yet dreams come true..and that takes time.

There will be a time for every country to build its skill and be powerful, every country will get there in some time, some way or other.Every body has right to grow and they will grow regardless of what others think, Its survival of the fittest guys....
We all know humans make states and not the state make human being...and that too IS A FACT

By the way being poor is a human judgment rather than a government decision.
we are working on it like others did and someday we will get there. it doesnt matter who got there first, but what matters is we get there or not....

Thank you

34% increase on defense by any definition is massive.

$32 billion dollars on defense by any definition is massive in a country that is home to the world's largest population of poor, illiterate and hungry people.

Pakistan's defense expenditure is about $5.5 billion (vs $32 billion for India), including foreign defense aid. As I said in my post, it is about 3% of Pakistan's GDP. And it has never been increased year-over-year by 34%. And Pakistan's poverty and hunger is not nearly as severe as India's.

One out of every three illiterate adults in the world is an Indian, according to UNESCO.

One out of very two hungry persons in the world is an Indian, according to World Food Program.

Almost one out of two Indians lives below the poverty line of $1.25 per day.

And yet, India spends $32 billion on defense, and just increased the defense budget by 34% this year.

Here are some more recent comparative indicators in South Asia:

Poverty:

Population living under $1.25 a day - India: 41.6% Pakistan: 22.6% Source: UNDP

Underweight Children Under Five (in percent) Pakistan 38% India 46% Source: UNICEF

Life expectancy at birth (years), 2007 India: 63.4 Pakistan: 66.2 Source: HDR2009

Education:

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000 to 2007, male Pak istan: 80% India 87% Source: UNICEF

Youth (15–24 years) literacy rate, 2000 to 2007, female Pak istan 60% India 77% Source: UNICEF

Economics:

GDP per capita (US$), 2008 Pak:$1000-1022 India $1017-1100

Child Protection:

Child marriage under 15-years ; 1998–2007*, total Pak istan - 32% India - 47% Source: UNICEF

Under-5 mortality rate per 1000 live births (2007), Value Pakistan - 90 India 72 Source: UNICEF

In spite of the grim statistics above, India is ranked the fourth biggest military spender in terms of purchasing power parity.

Now the MODS will delete other post but not these as they give an inside on economics as this is an economic and bussiness forum :hitwall:

You have to understand his fear and should not go by his propaganda.

This is reality he's having sleepless nights because of India's development stories and ever growing military capabilities.

Poor guy, have pity on him and move on.

Don't pity me, pity yourself instead!

In the short term, pity the poor, the hungry and the illiterates whose ranks will grow in India when funding is diverted to defense, instead of domestic programs. Such disparities will cause serious internal conflict, and Maoists and others will grow in strength.

Haq's Musings: India Deploys 100,000 Troops Against Maoists Revolt

In the long term, pity all those who live in South Asia. If the conventional war capability gap becomes unmanageable for Pakistan, it will simply lead to a lowering of the nuclear threshold, which will be bad news for the entire region.

In the short term, pity the poor, the hungry and the illiterates whose ranks will grow in India when funding is diverted to defense, instead of domestic programs. Such disparities will cause serious internal conflict, and Maoists and others will grow in strength.

In the long term, pity all those who live in South Asia. If the conventional war capability gap becomes unmanageable for Pakistan, it will simply lead to a lowering of the nuclear threshold, which will be bad news for the entire region.

Just a few posts back, from your own post/source, I showed you that a lot of money is being spent, but is not being utilized properly.
But this is a different problem, and need not addressed here. Point is, no need to divert funding from defense.

The real question here is war capability gap bw India and Pak. Here I agree with you. But we have a different problem. For Pak its just India. For India, we have both Pak and China. Even now, we cant get parity with China, so its impossible to decrease defense spending.

You have any source that says we are spending less than what we can efficiently utilize?

riazhaq.com/2009/11/indian-maoists-revolt-aided-by-nepal.html]Haq's Musings: India Deploys 100,000 Troops Against Maoists Revolt

Facepalm, yes because the poor are oppressed in India. Yes a country with an economy of 105 trillion PKR has to have the same military budget as one with with a 14 trillion PKR economy.

Well it seems to me the ranks of the poor, hungry and illiterate have (most suprising of all suprises) been DECREASING while the military budget has been INCREASING. :O :O :O

$32 billion dollars on defense by any definition is massive in a country that is home to the world's largest population of poor, illiterate and hungry people.

$32B USD is nothing when India has neighbours like Pakistan and China. Both of whom has instigated wars with India. Pakistan 4 (lost all of em too, strategically brilliant leaders you've had) and China 1, (even if we lost, we didn't decide to go and lose 3 more times ;) )

Also why the hell are we talking in USD, we should be talking in INR and PKR. The poor state of the PK economy means the exchange rate will be skewed for them.

Consider this.

Pakistan spends 20 billion PKR on its military one year, when its exchange rate with the US is 30:1.

Pakistan spends 20 billion PKR on its military next year, when its exchange rate with the US is 50:1.

Lo and behold, the PAKISTANI MILITARY BUDGET HAS DECREASED.

Also Pakistan doesn't include Pensions etc in its mil budget, India does, if it didn't, it would be considerably lower. Anyway India hasn't been spending all of its sanctioned funds for the military.

Please everybody else, just because Mr. Haq, just because unlike the average Pakistani e-warrior dsn't dnt tlk lyk dis, doesn't mean he's any more intelligent than the other patriots on these forums.

oh common Indian defence capability is not meant to counter Pakistan.
Anyway for just Pakistan India is anyday good enough with the present capability. IT is being improved to match some other country. Pakistan is not the concern and you do not and cannot expect India to have a Pakistani centric approach and thus keep itself limited to Pakistani satisfaction..:disagree:.

India doesnt care about Pakistan armed forces. It is looking out to the world and improving to face some other enemy.

After all the theatrics...the above statement proves your intentions...

It is not the misery of the poor in India that worries you.....it is the fact that in a decade Pakistan will not be able to catch up to India's economy, spending power and conventional military capability.....hence losing its "deterrance"....and teeth vis-a vis Kashmir and other issues....

But you do bring some very important issues to light.....

Education....
Education spending (% of GDP) (most recent) by country

India spends 4.1% of its GDP on education, much higher than its neighbor..
Please read up on the Govt of India's initiative "Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan" started in 2001

Poverty allevation....
"Using state-level data for 1970-93, a simultaneous equation model was developed to estimate the direct and indirect effects of different types of government expenditure on rural poverty and productivity growth in India. The results show that in order to reduce rural poverty, the Indian government should give highest priority to additional investments in rural roads and agricultural research. These types of investment not only have much larger poverty impacts per rupee spent than any other government investment, but also generate higher productivity growth. Apart from government spending on education, which has the third largest marginal impact on rural poverty and productivity growth, other investments (including irrigation, soil and water conservation, health, and rural and community development) have only modest impacts on growth and poverty per additional rupee spent."

Please see the above bolded parts....Poverty allevation is greatly increased with investement in rural roads and agricultural research...which has been a top priority for successive governments starting with BJP's initiative of the Golden Quadrilateral program...
Apart from this, India's spending on Agricultural research and irrigation make it one of the largest publicly funded programs in the world......Please update yourself....

What I would like to see from you is to prove to the members here that India is not doing "enough" or has sacrificed education and poverty for its people on account of defence spending....
Since you accuse India of spending too much on defence, can you also justify that defence should be given a lower priority especially considering our hostile surrounding, geographic location and large land mass??

Please note that India is a democracy....and we have elected the UPA to make decisions for us....unless and until the middle class of India (largest contributor to our GDP and tax) creates an outcry about the spending on defence....we dont have a problem....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom