What's new

F-7P and F-7PG

Shouldn't we use maximum and make them BVR capable with Chinese help, and use them with JF-17 Block 3. For example, if we have 16 indian aircraft (including Rafale) coming for attack, then we send 4 JF-17 (armed with PL-15 & SD-10) and 4 F-7 (armed with SD-10 & PL-10/PL-5E). JF-17 engage enemies at the range of 180 Km to 80 Km and return and F-7 engage them at the range of 60 Km to WVR. Maximum loss will be F-7 lost (We don't put best pilots in F-7s). Same thing that was tried by indians on 27 Feb. As a smaller force, we need to maximize utility.
Indian tried to shot down our F-16 with mig 21, we should make or F-7 capable enough to have a chance against Rafale, upgraded Su-30 MKI and upgraded mirages 2Ks when used along with JF-17s. High-Low.

The F7s have pretty much used up all their airframe lifespan now and need to be retired, the F7PGs have a little more life, but not much. It makes no sense, given how worn out the airframes are. Pakistans goal has to be to replace them (alongside the Mirages ) with the JF17s asap.

Your suggestion would have been ideal 15 years ago, if PAF had that kind of imagination and resources, but it didnot.

Now, those ideas have run out of time.

1617547467069.png

So you are saying point defence is not worth performing?

A F-7PG vs Tejas, Mig-29 or Mirage-2000 would be a turkey shoot (and not a turkey shoot in favor of F-7PG ).
If a point defense with F-7PG is worth performing or not; that depends on how many F-7PGs are PAF willing to lose on that day.

Last edited:
So you are saying point defence is not worth performing?
All I am saying is that the fighter itself is fast using its utility in the modern theatre and will be replaced with in the next 2-3 years. I do not know enough to pontificate on the utility of point defence so wont comment.
A

A F-7PG vs Tejas, Mig-29 or Mirage-2000 would be a turkey shoot (and not a turkey shoot in favor of F-7PG ).
If a point defense with F-7PG is worth performing or not; that depends on how many F-7PGs are PAF willing to lose on that day.
F7PGs gave USAF A tough time in an exercise few years ago. They fly against F16s all the time.

All I am saying is that the fighter itself is fast using its utility in the modern theatre and will be replaced with in the next 2-3 years. I do not know enough to pontificate on the utility of point defence so wont comment.
A

'will be replaced with in the next 2-3 years' is a very strong statement. If you have some kind of inside information that is different. But based on publicly known information and the aircraft's usefulness (contradicting your statement), it is quite possible we will see it being used for a long time.

If it is being handled by an amateur like yourself, it might not even get off the ground. In the hands of professionals, it is a beast.

'will be replaced with in the next 2-3 years' is a very strong statement. If you have some kind of inside information that is different. But based on publicly known information and the aircraft's usefulness (contradicting your statement), it is quite possible we will see it being used for a long time.

If it is being handled by an amateur like yourself, it might not even get off the ground. In the hands of professionals, it is a beast.
Let us see how the cookie crumbles. The period may not be 2-3 years , may be 5 years but it will be gone. Look at the airframe life as well. It has not got much left. Secondly sometimes PAF may remove them from active service and either keep them in reserve or make them second line last resort fighters. I gather some J5sare already cocooned for this purpose. The PG may join that line.
A

Let us see how the cookie crumbles. The period may not be 2-3 years , may be 5 years but it will be gone. Look at the airframe life as well. It has not got much left. Secondly sometimes PAF may remove them from active service and either keep them in reserve or make them second line last resort fighters. I gather some J5sare already cocooned for this purpose. The PG may join that line.
A

The Mirages have been going on for 50 years. It really depends on cost-benefit analysis as performed by PAF.

A
There are no A-5s in reserve or in cocoons. PAF last resort will be nukes if it ever came to that, not an obsolete strike aircraft that could only carry gravity bombs

There are no A-5s in reserve or in cocoons. PAF last resort will be nukes if it ever came to that, not an obsolete strike aircraft that could only carry gravity bombs
Side note: At least the Chinese Q5s had ONE single internal bay for carrying a single nuke.
images-0310.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom