What's new

F-7P and F-7PG

Can anyone give the differences between F-7PG and F-7BGI (later variant F-17BGs).

BGI was the last variant, with changes. Is it worth it, upgrading the F-7PGs if we want to keep them flying patrolling the western border?

BGI was the last variant of the F-7 design before they removed the tooling for the F-7 and converted the line into making JL-9's (AKA FTC-2000) with side ducts and a nose (and proportionally a much larger wing than the BG/PG double delta wing with better missile loadout capability).

iu

As such, many features of the JL-9 I believe may have been introduced into the BGI version (Glass cockpit etc.).

Here is a link from the Bangladesh forum discussion.

Last edited:
I think I saw f-7p still in the fly past , some unit still flying ? Is it the temporary LIFT sqn ?

BGI was the last variant of the F-7 design before they removed the tooling for the F-7 and converted the line into making JL-9's (AKA FTC-2000) with side ducts and a nose (and proportionally a much larger wing than the BG/PG double delta wing with better missile loadout capability).

iu

As such, many features of the JL-9 I believe may have been introduced into the BGI version (Glass cockpit etc.).

bangla f-7 have Chinese second Gen falcon radar with 30 km range vs other having Grifo 7 with almost twice the range plus other gizmos

iu

Very capable aircraft. PLAAF had contracted Western instructor pilots and a former PAF pilot to establish a course syllabus for their air force.

iu

JL-9G will be the ultimate beast mode for Mig-21 legacy. DSI inlet, 8600kg thrust WP-13E, multi role fire control radar and 7 pylons with 3000kg payload.

But top speed is reduced to 1.4 mach only.

Shouldn't we use maximum and make them BVR capable with Chinese help, and use them with JF-17 Block 3. For example, if we have 16 indian aircraft (including Rafale) coming for attack, then we send 4 JF-17 (armed with PL-15 & SD-10) and 4 F-7 (armed with SD-10 & PL-10/PL-5E). JF-17 engage enemies at the range of 180 Km to 80 Km and return and F-7 engage them at the range of 60 Km to WVR. Maximum loss will be F-7 lost (We don't put best pilots in F-7s). Same thing that was tried by indians on 27 Feb. As a smaller force, we need to maximize utility.
Indian tried to shot down our F-16 with mig 21, we should make or F-7 capable enough to have a chance against Rafale, upgraded Su-30 MKI and upgraded mirages 2Ks when used along with JF-17s. High-Low.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom