What's new

F-35B Makes First Vertical Landing at Sea

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
F-35B Makes First Vertical Landing at Sea

100311_f35b_315.JPG

A U.S. Marine Corps F-35B made its first vertical landing on an amphibious assault ship on Oct. 3, Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program officials confirmed.

The aircraft, called BF-2, made the landing at 3:20 p.m. Eastern time over the Atlantic onboard the USS Wasp.

Over the next two weeks, the JSF program hopes to conduct 67 landing while Wasp is underway, according to Tom Burbage, Lockheed Martin's F-35 program manager.

The U.S. Marine Corps' deputy commandant for aviation, Lt. Gen. Terry Robling, said recently that Wasp is available for six weeks should there be any anomalies in testing.

BF-2 is the second short take-off vertical landing variant test aircraft.

F-35B Makes First Vertical Landing at Sea - Defense News

Long term pilots of this plane will suffer from lower back problems , problems with nerves and other problems related to disabilty
such hard landings will result in huge problems for pilots ... some day not now but in 3-5 years when pilots will be suing the company it will be big news

Long term pilots of this plane will suffer from lower back problems , problems with nerves and other problems related to disabilty
such hard landings will result in huge problems for pilots ... some day not now but in 3-5 years when pilots will be suing the company it will be big news

Ya you wish.

News to me...

Come on, you can't possibly assume that. The Harrier didn't have such problems.

Not impressed...so far. Maybe I just need to see it from a bit farther out but I don't get the sense of landing on a moving object. Also the landing was too slow for combat imo. Would any of the professionals know if that landing speed was fine?

is it me or the canopy seemed to be open? or is that the air brake?

no some sort of lid or cover..it has a central fan for vertical lift...must be the fan cover

Great news glad to see things starting to come along on this project has been along time coming....

News to me...

Come on, you can't possibly assume that. The Harrier didn't have such problems.
The man spoke from extensive experience...:lol:...He is just too modest to bring up his thousands of flight hours from V/STOL aircrafts.

US economy also makes vertical nose dive , proportional to vertical dive of F35 this plane is just bad luck

I like the plane , and its vertical landing very beautiful and balanced but it makes me question the budget more and more

The forces at touchdown in a vertical landing are very light, probably less than passengers see in a B-757 with a less than stellar landing at JFK.

I don't understand the problems... it was the first landing at sea, if I understand correctly. Of course they are going to proceed slowly and carefully. Besides, the time to get the flight deck clear at this pace will probably still be much faster than a conventional landing pattern, touchdown, and cable engagement.

The forces at touchdown in a vertical landing are very light, probably less than passengers see in a B-757 with a less than stellar landing at JFK.

I don't understand the problems... it was the first landing at sea, if I understand correctly. Of course they are going to proceed slowly and carefully. Besides, the time to get the flight deck clear at this pace will probably still be much faster than a conventional landing pattern, touchdown, and cable engagement.

True, but with the F-35B close to the chopping block, slow and steady doesn't really impress. Of course this isn't really about being impressed, but I hope they do a landing near in the future where the carrier is going at close to 'standard' speed in a combat and/or evasive situation.

Back
Top Bottom