What's new

F-35B Makes First Vertical Landing at Sea

is it me or the canopy seemed to be open? or is that the air brake?
Thats lift fan cover. :)

f354221510p00006pr24hi.jpg

Which version is your air force buying again?
F-35A.

True, but with the F-35B close to the chopping block, slow and steady doesn't really impress. Of course this isn't really about being impressed, but I hope they do a landing near in the future where the carrier is going at close to 'standard' speed in a combat and/or evasive situation.
For a vertical take-off/landing, the ship does not need to be moving. In fact, landing on a moving platform is extremely dangerous...

Lynx Helicopter Operating Limit Development - YouTube

True, but with the F-35B close to the chopping block, slow and steady doesn't really impress. Of course this isn't really about being impressed, but I hope they do a landing near in the future where the carrier is going at close to 'standard' speed in a combat and/or evasive situation.

The STOVL F-35 isn't designed for the Navy. They will not be using it on the big carriers. It is primarily a Marine version, to be used on smaller ships. For the near future, the U.S. Navy will continue to operate with F/A-18's.

The STOVL F-35 isn't designed for the Navy. They will not be using it on the big carriers. It is primarily a Marine version, to be used on smaller ships. For the near future, the U.S. Navy will continue to operate with F/A-18's.

i know it's a stupid question, but on your frigates and destroyers etc. instead of having a helicopter can't you just use this one? it doesn't need space and as gambit said. take off while the ship stands still?

how to transport troops bud,special forces transporting on wings of fighter looks more funny than your question

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, helicopters are more utilitarian for the Marines. They can do it all, like transport people and supplies, as well as execute light attack. Marine F-35's will replace the AV-8B Harrier for close air support and some interdiction.

The STOVL F-35 is just a minor part of the overall F-35 program.

ok may be I am an old fashioned man but still she is ugly!!! dont know may be with some make up; painting with a pirate regalia like a f 14 or shark mouth like f 4 may work! NOOOO she is desperate! :tdown:

Yes, helicopters are more utilitarian for the Marines. They can do it all, like transport people and supplies, as well as execute light attack. Marine F-35's will replace the AV-8B Harrier for close air support and some interdiction.

The STOVL F-35 is just a minor part of the overall F-35 program.

And yet it's the part that has caused large delays and insane compromises for the entire program.

And yet it's the part that has caused large delays and insane compromises for the entire program.

I'm not sure why you are blaming this for the delays... it's more complicated than that.

ok may be I am an old fashioned man but still she is ugly!!! dont know may be with some make up; painting with a pirate regalia like a f 14 or shark mouth like f 4 may work! NOOOO she is desperate!

Stealth + sleek & pretty don't generally go together. The days of super-sexy jets is going away. Now we have the J-20 and the like, kind of boxy looking. Although the YF-23 looks awesome, IMO.

YF-23_Black_Widow_II_2.jpg

F23Ext3.jpg

800px-Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg

dont know may be the old rule is still valid ! if it looks good it flies good!

Back
Top Bottom