ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Boeing wins deal to convert F-16s into aerial targets

By Gareth Jennings

12 March 2010

1161c81f607f2365dbba554bb7a21e6b.jpg

The US Air Force (USAF) has awarded Boeing a USD69.7 million contract for initial engineering, manufacturing and development work associated with the conversion of retired Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft into aerial targets.

The agreement, announced on 9 March, calls for Boeing engineers and support personnel to convert the F-16s into QF-16s for use as aerial targets by USAF fighters and weapon systems. They will be able to fly either manned or unmanned.

QF-16 design and development work will take place at Boeing's St Louis facility in Missouri. Ground and flight-testing and production will be completed at the company's facility in Cecil Field, Florida.
106 of 209 words
Copyright © IHS (Global) Limited, 2010

Boeing wins deal to convert F-16s into aerial targets

There goes F 16 as a serious contender from the MMRCA deal. Just the association of the name with the plane USAF will use for target practise is damaging enough to knock out any chances that it had..

There goes F 16 as a serious contender from the MMRCA deal. Just the association of the name with the plane USAF will use for target practise is damaging enough to knock out any chances that it had..

Dont stress , They would be using The oldest Fleet of F-16's.:)

Guys.. read the post carefully before jumping down my throat. I have underlined and made the relevent part bold for your benefit..

I do kinda agree with you. It symbolizes that F16s era is ova and new generations are considering it for target practice. time to move on:tup:

It doesnt matter if its block 52/60....it still is F16.

Man everyone knows the Difference between the Viper variants and i do not believe it would have an effect over MMRCA

I really hope IAF does not order F-16 for MRCA....If they order one...They have not done it for the past 6 years..lol....anyway ...as I dont want a jet on the other side that can do 3 sorties In one day.....I ll be more than happy if they opt F-18 or Mig-35 with 2 and 1 sortie respectively....

f 16 is the most successful program in military aviation history and yes it is sad to see that this unbeatable war bird is going to retire soon and would become a target.

i think if they do use it as an aggressor it would still shoot down many of its enemies.

but they are using it as just a decoy.

Hi Xebex,
"Better one day as a lion than a hundred as a sheep" i hope you get my point with stealthy fighters era it was imminent, however this also means that the pretentious glory of Euro fighter, Rafale and Indias beloved SU-30 wont be staying around for long as well. and i didn't get your point when u said that "It doesnt matter if its block 52/60....it still is F16. " so are u implying that f-16 block 15 are also same as f-16 block 60. which means that since JF-17 is on par with F-16 block 15 so it is also equiavalent to block 60 woooooooo :woot: thanks for appreciating JF17 indirectly though :yahoo:

I do kinda agree with you. It symbolizes that F16s era is ova and new generations are considering it for target practice. time to move on:tup:

You indians just look for opportunities to brag about. The next PAF vs IAF discussion starts you indians can troll about F-16s being absolute and nothing but target drones.

The target drones are likely to be block 5-10 or 15 which are the oldest of all variants.

Your master Isreal's air fleet prime MRCA is F-16s which is by no means a absolute fighter and perhaps one of the best 4.5 generation fighter in the world.

The point is F16 is not going to be a serious contender for MRMCA. As already stated it is already in service with PAF and IAF woudnt be going for it. since PAF has been operating this bird for long time the IAF is at disadvantage here.....

You indians just look for opportunities to brag about. The next PAF vs IAF discussion starts you indians can troll about F-16s being absolute and nothing but target drones.

The target drones are likely to be block 5-10 or 15 which are the oldest of all variants.

Your master Isreal's air fleet prime MRCA is F-16s which is by no means a absolute fighter and perhaps one of the best 4.5 generation fighter in the world.

Better watch your words. We don't have any masters like in your case. Its your government which takes the begging bowl around the world.
Lets not go into further details, i must respect the fact that this is a Pakistani forum and i don't want to hurt the nice people around because of a troll like you.

Angoor khattey hain......:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom