What's new

Exports to Morocco rise by 81pc till October, 2016

Dawood Ibrahim

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan’s exports to the North African country of Morocco have registered an increase of 81 per cent from July-October 2016 over the corresponding period last year, a State bank of Pakistan’s report said.

According to the report, this was the highest increase in exports to any country this year at a time when Pakistan’s overall exports have fallen. Although the report does not mention the sectors that have shown improvement but it was widely believed that the efforts of Pakistan’s Ambassador to Morocco Nadir Chaudhry to diversify exports from traditional sectors has borne fruit.

Talking to the media from Rabat, Ambassador Chaudhry said that it was the directives and guidance of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that had led to increase in exports.

He said, “Our mission has gone to every corner of Morocco for highlighting our products by holding trade and business road shows in every major city and I regularly meet and brief all the chambers of commerce and top importers and business leaders”.

He said that Morocco was an important country for Pakistani exporters as it was the gateway to Africa and in particular West Africa and these markets were full of potential.

“Africa is being called the new Asia, by 2050 the population of this continent will reach 4 billion and Pakistan cannot ignore Africa anymore”, he added.

The ambassador said that for this reason he had proposed to the government to hold a ‘Pakistan-Africa Summit’ in Islamabad during 2017. “This is all the more relevant in the backdrop of CPEC” he added.

Ambassador Chaudhry was hopeful that the long delayed Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) meeting between Pakistan and Morocco would be held soon after the formation of the new government in Rabat (Morocco).

“We have a long agenda of turning MoUs into agreements and negotiating easier term for our exporters. High level bilateral visits are also expected in 2017 and all of this would place our bilateral relations with Morocco in a much higher orbit,” he opined.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/blog/2016/12/27/exports-to-morocco-rise-by-81pc-till-october-2016/

@LA se Karachi

Been there but They still love Indian over Pakistan just One of a typical arab country

Been there but They still love Indian over Pakistan just One of a typical arab country
Not sure why you assumed that...

I even shared the food in the same plate with some of the morrocon brothers... You can't find such examples between Indian-Moroccon friendship. They are very humble and friendly people in my opinion, just different way to express their hospitality.

PS: The size of the plate was so big that you could have 10kg of rice poured in the single plate

Family visited Morroco and Tunisia both nations had a lot of admiration and respect for Pakistanis. Can't really say they are typical Arab countries as they differ and at times dislike the Gulf states due to their arrogance and attitude.

Because of Bollywood ?
As soon as some come to know you are Pakistani they instantly say Imran Khan refering to the PTI don. Not everyone there is influenced by Bollywood, there are other Arab nations such as Egypt and Lebonon that are given more importance due to their talented film and song artists which are highly respected across the Arabic speaking world. Certainly more than the Bollywood stars. Every year the region hosts Arab Idol where contestants from across the Middle East participate. Good step by Pakistan to strengthen economic relations with North Africa. Infact Pakistan should create more trade links with other nations in the African continent. China is heavily investing in East Africa as it sees the potential in untouched areas of the continent.

Last edited:
Meghribi is different with Middle East....
They all speak the Arabic language but have different variations and accents. Ive met Morrocons, Tunisians, Libyans, Egyptians, Sudanese, Kuwaitis, Syrians, Jordanians, Iraqis, Palestinians, Yemeni. All have been able to communicate with eachother in Arabic.

Last edited:
This is interesting news, Pakistan's exports to Morocco are mainly textiles, mineral fuels, medical instruments, equipment, etc.. there have been talks for an FTA between us since 2005. Pakistan textile exports like bed linen have contracted worldwide so there mite be other items being traded.

Like Turkey, Pakistan has had involvement in the freedom struggle in the Maghreb. During its independence Pakistan helped these nations' freedom fighters diplomatically as well as economically who traveled on Pakistani passports.

Year back, there was a group of Tunisian girls who were asking for information for Fawad Khan official website on Facebook. There is a group Fawad Khan arab fans made up of nationals from Morocco, Tunisia. Algeria, etc... When I further enquired there is a channel MBC bollywood that telecasted Pakistani dramas with Arab dubbing thruout Middle East, North Africa. It had been airing Hum channel dramas like Dastaan and Humsafar, which got good response.

Last edited:
Moroccans are not Arab, they are Berbers.
Berbers are a seperate ethnic group that reside in North Africa like how the Kurds reside in Arab heartlands of Syria & Iraq. certain populations of Morrocons do have Arab ancestry just as some have black African ancestry.

Moroccans are not Arab, they are Berbers.

2/3 of all Moroccans are Arab and the Berbers and Arabs of Morocco have been mixing with each other for the past 1400 years. Giving rise to the Arab-Berber term which is similar to the Afro-Arab term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-Berber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Arab

You won't find a "pure" (whatever that is) Arab or Berber in the Maghreb any longer.

Besides Arabs and Berbers are closely related to begin with genetically and culturally and both speak Afro-Asiatic languages.

http://moroccan.tribes.free.fr

The popularity of Bollywood and similar stuff is very limited in the Arab world. Indigenous Arab movies are preferred. Especially in the Maghreb which has zero/a very limited exposure to India and Indians. If anything the Maghreb is Francophone in terms of foreign influence.

I do not know a single member of my family, friends or any Arab I know (I know Arabs from most of the Arab world) who watches or is even remotely interested in Bollywood.

Anyway good luck to Morocco and Pakistan. All the best. I love Morocco personally.

Last edited:
2/3 of all Moroccans are Arab and the Berbers and Arabs of Morocco have been mixing with each other for 1400 years. Giving rise to the Arab-Berber term which is similar to the Afro-Arab term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-Berber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Arab

Besides Arabs and Berbers are closely related to begin with genetically and culturally and both speak Afro-Asiatic languages.

The popularity of Bollywood and similar stuff is very limited in the Arab world. Indigenous Arab movies are preferred.
I'm sure a Morocan lady won the Arab Idol song competition which had competitors from across the Arab world. This news was given to me by a Syrian person. Shows you that Arabs do focus on their own music and artists rather than Bollywood.

This is interesting news, Pakistan's exports to Morocco are mainly textiles, mineral fuels, medical instruments, equipment, etc.. there have been talks for an FTA between us since 2005. Pakistan textile exports like bed linen have contracted worldwide so there mite be other items being traded.

Like Turkey, Pakistan has had involvement in the freedom struggle in the Maghreb. During its independence Pakistan helped these nations' freedom fighters diplomatically as well as economically who traveled on Pakistani passports.

Year back, there was a group of Tunisian girls who were asking for information for Fawad Khan official website on Facebook. There is a group Fawad Khan arab fans made up of nationals from Morocco, Tunisia. Algeria, etc... When I further enquired there is a channel MBC bollywood that telecasted Pakistani dramas with Arab dubbing thruout Middle East, North Africa. It had been airing Hum channel dramas like Dastaan and Humsafar, which got good response.
I'm sure there would be more exposure between Pakistanis and North Africans (Moroccans Tunisians Algerians) if there was a large Pakistani community in France. However there is only a small community compared to the huge North and west African populations. This would have allowed more interaction between the Pak and North African community possibly resulting in mix marriages. The case with Libya, Pakistan had a close relation with Libya and Colonel Gaddafi. I'm sure the Lahore cricket stadium is named after the late leader of Libya. At one time there were thousands of Pak workers and medical professionals working in Libya. Not sure what the relationship between Pakistan and Egypt is at. When my friends went to Egypt
for a holiday a few years ago, before the revolution and troubles they had a positive response from the locals and security officials when my friends said their families originated from Pakistan.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom