What's new

Explosion in Karachi

My condolences to the dead, injuries and families,

May God bless them.

Twenty killed as suicide attack hits Shia procession in Karachi

KARACHI: A bomb attack ripped through a procession of Shias on Karachi's M A Jinnah road on Monday, killing 20 people and wounding at least 40 others, police and hospital officials said.

The worshippers were commemorating Ashura, the holiest event on the Shia Muslim calendar, and the parade in Karachi was the biggest in Pakistan.

Pakistan had deployed tens of thousands of police and paramilitary forces, fearing sectarian clashes or militant bombings would target Shia processions.

“It was a suicide attack,” Karachi city police chief Waseem Ahmed told DawnNews.

“Twenty people have been killed and around 40 were injured,” Ahmed said.

Saghir Ahmad, health minister in the government of southern province Sindh, said at least 15 people were killed, but said more than 60 were wounded.

Witnesses said pandemonium broke out after the explosion, with angry mourners throwing stones and firing bullets into the air, restricting the movement of ambulances and sparking calls from the authorities for calm.

Fire broke out after the blast, fanning thick smoke into the sky, and people were running in all directions, an AFP reporter said.

“I appeal on people to vacate the area. This will help us rescue the injured,” said the Karachi police chief.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani swiftly condemned the blast and also appealed on the masses to remain peaceful, his office said.

In Karachi, more than 50,000 Shias had poured into the streets to commemorate Ashura.

“It was a huge explosion. We have reports that a lot of people have been injured. I am on site and I appeal to the people to be calm,” Raza Haroon, a cabinet minister in the provincial government of Sindh, told a private television channel.

It was the second bomb attack to mar Ashura commemorations in Pakistan after a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a main Shia mosque in Pakistani-administered Kashmir, killing seven people late Sunday.

Sectarian violence periodically flares in Pakistan between Shias and Sunnis.

Explosives planted in a gutter ripped through an Ashura procession in Karachi on Sunday wounding 17 people, officials said.

DAWN.COM | Metropolitan | Twenty killed as suicide attack hits Shia procession in Karachi

1300years have gone past since Ashura but these yazidis and their siblings still havent given a thought to change their tactics , still butchering unarmed men and women!

This was bound to happen.I mean today they have free targets.There are crowds of people everywhere.

This was bound to happen.I mean today they have free targets.There are crowds of people everywhere.

You can't stop a hidden enemy to go against soft targets, I hope people of Karachi will understand as we have in Peshawar. :cry:

Why why why we keep on going easy targets to these animals , :cry:

Very sad news, government should not allow large gathering due to bad security conditions.

its a vry sad moment for all pakistani
dont knw how to xpress my feelings

Well i noticed how you are upset with as you put it ''scumbags'' i am sure you prolly are also upset that they didnt kill more as there would have been less ''scumbags'' left to make trouble.

How stupid of them going after law inforcement agencies they should be asking the guy selling fruit how come he didnt do his job and going after all fruit sellers.

once again i applogise for the inconvenience this may have caused you but we will make sure next time we take it up the wazoo pick up the dead bodies so its not a bother for you.

Do you even understand what just have happened you freaking IDIOT.

Delusional nitwit it’s a collective dilemma and rioting over this misfortune is inexcusable.

and despite all this sadness . The bahi's Party workers are now going after the pathans by burning down their houses and shopes . Already burnt many shops of ordinary ghreeb pathans in boltan market . Bahi is one SOB Ethnic violence architect .

and despite all this sadness . The bahi's Party workers are now going after the pathans by burning down their houses and shopes . Already burnt many shops of ordinary ghreeb pathans in boltan market . Bahi is one SOB Ethnic violence architect .

I agree to you 100%:tup:

He and his companions are the worst criminals, they are a mob who have taken away the freedom of ordinary pakistanis and made them slaves to his so called F....ing party using violance and terror as a weapon.

My heart goes out to the innocent victims and families of this horrifying tragedy, everyday seems to be a norm for suicide attacks that are taking place and the GOP seems completely helpless in stopping these zombies that are causing mayhem killing innocent people indiscriminately.

This government has simply lost the plot they have failed to provide security to the masses enough blood has been spilt time to take concrete action.

Panic is what the enemy want .. by burning govt property and rioting the riotors are strenghthining the enemy not the state. Its very hard for the ones who were there or who have lost loved ones but khietes pakistanis must observe order, for the sake of Pakistan.

I am curious about how this mob got so much fuel. I heard that it was the muharram joloose people who started burning up bolten market, but by looking at the fire they must have had a lot of petrol. It seems they were already planning?

Stupid Rehman Malik alert Army what the hell there is no connection of Army with inner Pakistan secuirty what a stupid leaders we have!! seriously out of brain....

Back
Top Bottom