What's new

Excalibur rifle awaits certification trials

Kraitcorp

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
An indigenously produced new generation rifle, Excalibur, is awaiting user trails and final certification, even as the Army seems to be moving away to a bigger calibre rifle than what has been produced by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).

“Fifteen rifles are ready at the Rifle Factory, Ishapore, for user and Director General Quality Assurance evaluation and awaiting trail directive from the Infantry Directorate,” OFB spokesperson told The Hindu.

The Excalibur is a fully automatic rifle which fires 5.56mm ammunition and is an upgraded version of the current INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) which was inducted in the mid-nineties but had a troubled history all along.

The Rifle Factory, Ishapore has produced 15 prototypes with modifications based on user feedback on reliability, weight, length, compatibility with international sights, aesthetics etc. and has been evaluated by users at the Army’s Infantry School at Mhow, OFB officials said.

“User has recently asked for a few additional features to be incorporated in the rifle. OFB has assured introduction of proposed balance four modifications in a time-bound manner,” the spokesperson said, adding that the project was a joint effort of the OFB and Infantry Directorate.

The Army has been attempting to procure a new standard issue rifle for a decade. Recently, the overambitious tender for rifles with interchangeable barrels was cancelled after a four year process as no vendor could meet the requirements. After that, the Army decided to go for 7.62mm calibre and new Staff Quality Requirements are being drawn up.

Army officials said that due this decision, Excalibur is unlikely to be adopted as the standard issue in the current form but stated that its user trails and the process for a new rifle would continue simultaneously.

There are a large number of INSAS guns which need replacement and repairs. They need to be maintained till the new process is completed. So Excalibur can be certified and used to replace the INSAS till the new rifles are procured,” a senior officer observed.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/excalibur-rifle-awaits-certification-trials/article8816470.ece

May be MCIWS will end this problem as that can accommodate all 3 standard calibers.

I feel sorry for our jawan.

They're taking unnecessarily long on simple body armor, helmets as well.

If news of the battle rifle caliber are true, I can only think of few who can enter the tender.

cct-scar-h-hr.jpg

remov_ace52_01.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Army need to court Marshall them self. Indian army now becoming worlds biggest corrupted standing army in the world

Shame they r deliberately delaying DRDO project to get foreign kickbacks

First they wanted a rifle platform that could accommodate 5.56×45mm, 7.62×39mm, 6.8mm, now they do a full 180 back to the days of the FAL with 7.62x51mm.

I feel sorry for any company trying to follow these guys.

Why doesn't the govt intervene and question this stupidity?

After all these fck ups,I won't be surprised if Tavors and it's newest versions will make way.
They're taking unnecessarily long on simple body armor, helmets as well.

If news of the battle rifle caliber are true, I can only think of few who can enter the tender.

cct-scar-h-hr.jpg

remov_ace52_01.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I will caution myself before getting too much into this new calibre demand. Might be a tactic to kill some of ongoing home projects.

I guess we gotta wait and see, but I certainly find a bizarre if true.

They certainly did it in case of Tejas.

If Excalibur truly does not match the requirements, then, it's a different issue.
Constant changing of requirements is sinister to say the least.

They certainly did it in case of Tejas.

If Excalibur truly does not match the requirements, then, it's a different issue.
Constant changing of requirements is sinister to say the least.

We certainly already know things get dirty in the IA. We have the CAG report of the Arjun trials.

Parrikar actually warned about, 'repeated changes in GSQR and unrealistic technology requested in the short time frame.'

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom