What's new

Europe coronavirus cases and deaths

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...435-after-rise-in-scotland-and-wales-11963431

"The number of people who have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen by 43 to 465.
It represents the smallest rise in the number of deaths since 17 March - more than a week ago.
But there was the biggest increase in the number of infections across the UK - up 1,452 to 9,529."

@waz
@Invicta

There was a steep rise yesterday but it has gone massively down today to what it was like around a week ago. Worrying is the big rise in the number of infections.

@Vergennes

https://www.france24.com/en/2020032...virus-deaths-in-a-day-bringing-total-to-1-331

"French health authorities reported 231 new deaths from coronavirus on Wednesday, taking the total to 1,331.

The rise in the number of deaths from coronavirus represents a daily increase in France of 21%, a slight slowing from the previous two days with the country now in its second week of lockdown."

Extremely sad to hear 231 people have lost their lives in the last day but we have hope that there has been a slowdown in the rate of increase of deaths in France.

Last edited:
Ji3L5Y.jpg
The radio stopped announcing new numbers since this week for some reason.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...435-after-rise-in-scotland-and-wales-11963431

"The number of people who have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen by 43 to 465.
It represents the smallest rise in the number of deaths since 17 March - more than a week ago.
But there was the biggest increase in the number of infections across the UK - up 1,452 to 9,529."

@waz
@Invicta

There was a steep rise yesterday but it has gone massively down today to what it was like around a week ago. Worrying is the big rise in the number of infections.

@Vergennes

https://www.france24.com/en/2020032...virus-deaths-in-a-day-bringing-total-to-1-331

"French health authorities reported 231 new deaths from coronavirus on Wednesday, taking the total to 1,331.

The rise in the number of deaths from coronavirus represents a daily increase in France of 21%, a slight slowing from the previous two days with the country now in its second week of lockdown."

Extremely sad to hear 231 people have lost their lives in the last day but we have hope that there has been a slowdown in the rate of increase of deaths in France.

Indeed that's very worrying developments. :(

ET_XPDnUUAAmmez.jpg

@waz
@Invicta

@Vergennes

The only good news is this test that the UK Government is mentioning, currently people are being tediously naive about this. I had the luxury of popping in to London Excel yesterday. That looks set to become an emergency hospital along the lines of the French efforts as shown by @Vergennes. No pictures because I was promptly shouted at by a squaddie to get out of there and mind my own business. (I was there to deliver some equipment). If only people see the effort going into the emergency hospital they will realise that its not a joke. This is very much real.

Coming back to the test - if its any good it could stop this lockdown and make life normal for a big portion of the population.

My thoughts and concerns have shifted from UK to Asia, I have been in constant contact with my friends in Pakistan and India and they keep telling me how inadequately prepared the health sector and general population is equipped to deal with this. These countries and Africa if this horrible disease gets there could be devastating.

China has delivered faulty testing equipment to the Czech Republic and Spain. They are actively sabotaging EU's fight against the Chinese virus.

The only good news is this test that the UK Government is mentioning, currently people are being tediously naive about this. I had the luxury of popping in to London Excel yesterday. That looks set to become an emergency hospital along the lines of the French efforts as shown by @Vergennes. No pictures because I was promptly shouted at by a squaddie to get out of there and mind my own business. (I was there to deliver some equipment). If only people see the effort going into the emergency hospital they will realise that its not a joke. This is very much real.

Coming back to the test - if its any good it could stop this lockdown and make life normal for a big portion of the population.

My thoughts and concerns have shifted from UK to Asia, I have been in constant contact with my friends in Pakistan and India and they keep telling me how inadequately prepared the health sector and general population is equipped to deal with this. These countries and Africa if this horrible disease gets there could be devastating.

Yes this test, if it has a high percentage of accuracy, will be a game changer as explained by the Chief Medical Officer(shame he has that uncanny resemblance to Chris Grayling!).

As for S Asia, being of BD'shi origin myself and hence high personal interest in the region, there is evidence that warm temperatures of above 20C will inhibit the transmission rate of the virus. Most of S Asia is now hitting 30C during the day and so the region should get some help from the weather but of course this needs to be coupled with as much social isolation as possible and healthcare for those in need.

BD government is doing the same thing as UK and other countries in paying the salaries of workers as that is the only way to stop mass starvation in a developing country. The world is in a completely different economic system at this time.

Last edited:
Indeed that's very worrying developments. :(

View attachment 617488
Dude, stay healthy first. What I want to say about this map is that the daily new diagnosis numbers are not that bad. As a result, the diagnosed patients are quarantined, so if more people can be identified, the more epidemics will be under control for the following weeks. On the other hand, we pray for those who are in in intensive care units right now, unfortunately, they have become victims of irresponsible people and states...

Dude, stay healthy first. What I want to say about this map is that the daily new diagnosis numbers are not that bad. As a result, the diagnosed patients are quarantined, so if more people can be identified, the more epidemics will be under control for the following weeks. On the other hand, we pray for those who are in in intensive care units right now, unfortunately, they have become victims of irresponsible people and states...
The main issue is when saturation will occur among Health care workers...
China had to send in thousands and thousands to replace those in Hubei... Something Europe can't...

@UKBengali

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-three-more-deaths-in-scotland-take-uk-total-to-468-11964006

Not good - a rise of 119. This seems like the trend is going upwards.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-up-to-10-uk-sites-could-become-makeshift-hospitals-11963733

This is what I was talking about yesterday. Its crazy, Excel is 1Km long exhibition hall and they are converting it into 4000 bed hospital - two wards of 2000 beds each with a few morgues. If anyone is not taking this seriously they need to have a look at this article. No one in their right mind would start work on such a project unless it was absolutely required.

@UKBengali

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-three-more-deaths-in-scotland-take-uk-total-to-468-11964006

Not good - a rise of 119. This seems like the trend is going upwards.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-up-to-10-uk-sites-could-become-makeshift-hospitals-11963733

This is what I was talking about yesterday. Its crazy, Excel is 1Km long exhibition hall and they are converting it into 4000 bed hospital - two wards of 2000 beds each with a few morgues. If anyone is not taking this seriously they need to have a look at this article. No one in their right mind would start work on such a project unless it was absolutely required.

As regards the trend mate, probably no as NHS England has been changing the way they counted numbers since Wednesday.
So we had around 80 deaths announced on Tuesday, 40 something on Wednesday and 115 yesterday.
It looks like it has held steady at 80ish for last 3 days with just the way they are counting accounting for the widely fluctuating numbers of the dead.

My mathematics (what do I know about this I know!) suggests that if the trend continues then the capacity will just about be able to keep up with patients.
Excel will open next week with 500 beds and gradually expand to 4000 over the coming months.
Government and Army as you say already in plans to convert sites in Birmingham and other cities to temp hospitals.

I think as long as Dysons, Smith's and Penlon are able to deliver as scheduled on the planned ventilators then NHS will be just about able to cope but as Chief Medical Officer says, it will be a close run thing.

Lastly do not forget 1200 ICU beds and the qualified doctors, nurses and other medical professionals are joining the battle next week from the private sector.:-)

Back
Top Bottom