What's new

Engineering versus Mass media as career option

I am not in favour of forcing career on children because its children who has to live with it for the rest of their lives and they will not excel in something which they don't enjoy while studying or working....so peace of mind and enjoying what you are doing is more important so he should go for mass media if its what he will enjoy as career
From a parent's perspective,an eighteen year old might make wrong choices if given complete freedom to choose a career.
If he got into a premier engg college, it means he must have a good aptitude for it, nahi?
Indeed.
He's a brilliant kid. I'm sure he will do well in whatever he chooses.

Basically its a bit of the solid "boring" stuff for 2 - 3 years till you hit the lode of cool interesting stuff in the 1 - 2 years at the end....so it can be bit of struggle for some people to get over that initial hump of foundation...some do drop out and go for more immediate creative pursuits.
Hmm.
Thats true. 1st year Engg results can also be equally discouraging.

Thanks Nilgiri. I think i will have to push him a lil.

an engineer can always become a media person, but a media person can never become a engineer
True that. :tup:

If engineering is a "must" switch to civil.
I will suggest him that too.
Thanks.

Do you like (passionately) Thermal engineering / Material Science / Stress Analysis?
Thanks Anant. :tup:
I will put this across.
I'm sure this will help him take a decision

My advice will be, he should give full attention to mechanical engineering first and secure his/her future. And if by this time he/she has will, can go for part of time career in mass communication. It will keep him/her away from tensions while giving him/her good motivation. Thank you.

Yes. This is the advice most of my friends are giving me, to ask him not to quit engg, and pursue mass media later.
Thanks buddy.

Naah,,,sab bakwas,,,mbbs karne bolo,,sahi me life ekdum sett ho jayegi :lol:
@S.U.R.B.
Omg!
How did i miss this post?
Nai nai doctor nai...What if he has to perform a surgery and he ends up removing my liver instead of my kidney? Tauba!:fie:
@S.U.R.B.
:lol:

I think what matters the most here is what he himself wants to become? Whatever that is, it is the best for him. I wont rate anyone better than the other because it is all about preference and whatever he wants to pursue is what he can be will excel in.

Naah,,,sab bakwas,,,mbbs karne bolo,,sahi me life ekdum sett ho jayegi :lol:
@S.U.R.B.

Yes. This is the advice most of my friends are giving me, to ask him not to quit engg, and pursue mass media later.
Thanks buddy.

Omg!
Nai nai doctor nai...What if he has to perform a surgery and he ends up removing my liver instead of my kidney? Tauba!:fie:
@S.U.R.B.

:D

Life is not that simple.Wherever you go you'll find hurdles.It makes you pay through your pockets, drains your energies and can exhaust you emotionally as well.
That reminds me of that quote by Churchill: "If you are going through hell, keep going."
Persistence with focus in any field will take you to the peak.Persistence and effort in a field that has a potential and you love the most will ensure that you get where you dream to be.

I think before committing an individual should do some sittings with a group of people he/she aspire to join in future.At the end of the day you must do what in your opinion you can bear the most.

I'm unarmed regarding any suggestion about the fields in question.Perhaps enlightened members like @B06 can help you out on mass media and i can request @Tiger Awan to share some insight with you on Mech. engineering.

Life is not that simple.Wherever you go you'll find hurdles.It makes you pay through your pockets, drains your energies and can exhaust you emotionally as well.
That reminds me of that quote by Churchill: "If you are going through hell, keep going."
Persistence with focus in any field will take you to the peak.Persistence and effort in a field that has a potential and you love the most will ensure that you get where you dream to be.

I think before committing an individual should do some sittings with a group of people he/she aspire to join in future.At the end of the day you must do what in your opinion you can bear the most.

I'm unarmed regarding any suggestion about the fields in question.Perhaps enlightened members like @B06 can help you out on mass media and i can request @Tiger Awan to share some insight with you on Mech. engineering.

Thanks doc.
Thanks for passing by.

it is all about preference and whatever he wants to pursue is what he can be will excel in.
I concur. :tup:

Thanks doc.
Thanks for passing by.

I concur. :tup:

If your cousin has become completely dis interested in Engineering
then let him leave

Because anything done under compulsion or duress becomes a huge burden

If his Marks are poor ; he wont get a Good job

On the other hand ; mass media is glamourous but everybody does nt become
a TV anchor

Most of the guys and girls work in the back ground collecting News and information
from all over the world

You need to find out what exactly he is looking for or what is driving him at the moment

Engineering has much more scope in life later on

In all competitive exams or MBA or even entrepreneurship ; Engineering degree will
be very useful

I need your help guyz.

I have this cousin brother who was born and brought up outside India. Brilliant in studies and an all rounder. Popular among the students.

His parents wanted him to do his graduation and masters in US/Australia but he insisted on studying in India as most of his friends had plans to join colleges in India.
He managed to get into one of the premier engineering colleges in India and is doing his Mechanical engineering,2nd Semester.

His exams are going on and suddenly I got this message from him today, asking me to help him choose between Mass media and Mech Engineering.

He says he was under pressure from his parents to choose this field. I'm not surprised as my cousins and me are 2nd generation of engineers in the family, from both the sides.
So I can imagine his dilemma.

He has entrusted me with this and I hope to help him.
But I have no idea about mass media and have no friends who have done the course.

I will be grateful if anyone of you could help me with this.
Pros and cons of Mech engineering and mass media, internationally.

@anant_s @Nilgiri @Blue Marlin @thesolar65 @Leader @Arsalan and everyone else.

no pros and cons. do what your heart says. he wont regret !

Im third gen victim of same. so take it from me, its not worth it.

If your cousin has become completely dis interested in Engineering
then let him leave

Because anything done under compulsion or duress becomes a huge burden

If his Marks are poor ; he wont get a Good job

On the other hand ; mass media is glamourous but everybody does nt become
a TV anchor

Most of the guys and girls work in the back ground collecting News and information
from all over the world

You need to find out what exactly he is looking for or what is driving him at the moment

Engineering has much more scope in life later on

In all competitive exams or MBA or even entrepreneurship ; Engineering degree will
be very useful
no pros and cons. do what your heart says. he wont regret !

Im third gen victim of same. so take it from me, its not worth it.

Thanks guyz.
It makes a lot of sense to let him pursue a career of his choice but I still doubt that if at 18 he is capable of making a decision to which he might stick throughout his life? That's the reason I was collecting as much info as possible on both the courses.
I have time till 6th of may.

Thanks guyz.
It makes a lot of sense to let him pursue a career of his choice but I still doubt that if at 18 he is capable of making a decision to which he might stick throughout his life? That's the reason I was collecting as much info as possible on both the courses.
I have time till 6th of may.

One more important thing I forgot to mention

The First year is the Toughest year in engineering
Most of the drop outs happen in the first year or just after first year

Or guys accumulate Four ATKTs or they Fail in the first year

Here the family role become important

If the family can tell him to chill and relax ; EVEN at the cost of loosing One year
then he will be very happy and relaxed and he will be able to continue
without fear

The First year is irrelevant ; Only Third and Fourth year marks are taken
into consideration during Campus placements

Rest is upto him and the other factors
under consideration or which have a Bearing on the decision and choice

One more important thing I forgot to mention

The First year is the Toughest year in engineering
Most of the drop outs happen in the first year or just after first year

Or guys accumulate Four ATKTs or they Fail in the first year

Here the family role become important

If the family can tell him to chill and relax ; EVEN at the cost of loosing One year
then he will be very happy and relaxed and he will be able to continue
without fear

The First year is irrelevant ; Only Third and Fourth year marks are taken
into consideration during Campus placements

Rest is upto him and the other factors
under consideration or which have a Bearing on the decision and choice

I can attest to that myself.
Seen many drop out after the first year. My class's strength had reduced by half in the 2nd year.

I had inquired about this too. But he told me this is no escapist strategy and that he g had genuinely been thinking about it since sometime.

From a parent's perspective,an eighteen year old might make wrong choices if given complete freedom to choose a career.
Levina Bibi those who are studying mechanical Engineering are not kids .Parent should respect the choices of their children and they should find out their interests and inclinations before suggesting careers

desi parent just pick certain fields because they think that you have chance to earn more money in there but I have seen people working in fields where they don't enjoy their work and trust me one month appear like year to them because of boredom and having no interests in work they are doing

Indeed.
He's a brilliant kid. I'm sure he will do well in whatever he chooses.

Hmm.
Thats true. 1st year Engg results can also be equally discouraging.

Thanks Nilgiri. I think i will have to push him a lil.

True that. :tup:

I will suggest him that too.
Thanks.

Thanks Anant. :tup:
I will put this across.
I'm sure this will help him take a decision

Thanks buddy.

Omg!
@S.U.R.B.

Hi,

Absolutely---kids should have no choice for a career---they will not have a choice in my household---and I will fight for it.

Parents should fight it as a war with their kids to get them set in the right direction.

Look at me---I have a good life---no problems---but I fought ,my family not to become a doctor---like my father. But my job is brutal---no job security---good money but no life---terrible schedule---.

I could have been a doctor like my father---in my time---there were reserve 5 seats for doctors sons and daughter in medical schools in pakistan.

The reason being---you have to have a profession where you are in need---some kind of specialty---because there is life when you are young---and there is life when you get older---and then there is retirement---and in the U S---not everyone gets retirement---you get social security---it is ok.

Last edited:

When did you became PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST :lol: :P

@Levina yar really cant say much about Mech engineering since its a different country. One thing for sure is that there are ample career opportunities Mechanical eng worldwide. The demand never stops. Regarding India I have no idea how many engineers India is producing and how many it needs but the kind of growth India is having my guess is demand will be there. One thing he should check with Mech eng in India is how many good companies are near big city centres. In Pakistan if you want to built a good career then you must be ready to go to some rural area as around 60-70 % of the good/multi national companies are there.

Comparing to mass media .... again no idea what kind of salary/pay packages exists there

One thing for sure, he must do what he likes. As you have said it yourself he is very bright i am pretty sure he will be successful in what ever he choose and financially he wont face any problem

When did you became PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST :lol: :P

@Levina yar really cant say much about Mech engineering since its a different country. One thing for sure is that there are ample career opportunities Mechanical eng worldwide. The demand never stops. Regarding India I have no idea how many engineers India is producing and how many it needs but the kind of growth India is having my guess is demand will be there. One thing he should check with Mech eng in India is how many good companies are near big city centres. In Pakistan if you want to built a good career then you must be ready to go to some rural area as around 60-70 % of the good/multi national companies are there.

Comparing to mass media .... again no idea what kind of salary/pay packages exists there

One thing for sure, he must do what he likes. As you have said it yourself he is very bright i am pretty sure he will be successful in what ever he choose and financially he wont face any problem

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom