What's new

EMALS alone will force India to go for Nuclear Propulsion for INS Vishal: Naval Source

$@rJen

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
EMALS alone will force India to go for Nuclear Propulsion for INS Vishal: Naval Source
Published February 6, 2016
SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK (INN)

Main-EMALS-Catapault.jpg

For long Indian Naval, Planners have argued need to have three aircraft carriers in service which could allow two aircraft carrier battle groups (CBGs) each a self-contained flotilla with air, surface and sub-surface capabilities to cover Arabian sea and the Bay of Bengal simultaneously.

INS Vishal aka IAC-2 which is still on drawing boards will be the ship which will see first Major Naval cooperation between India and United States on Strategic and high tech transfer of equipment and influence of western designers in India’s Second indigenous aircraft carrier which complete its final design by the end of this year.

One of the key equipment which Indian Navy is planning to use on its Second indigenous aircraft carrier is the integration of next generation revolutionary Electro-Magnetic Aircraft Launch Systems (EMALS) which will replace steam catapults in next generation American supercarriers.

EMALS is smaller, lighter, quicker and more powerful which allows takeoffs speed to be carefully calibrated for different types of aircraft thus reducing stress and wear on their airframes. India Navy for long desired to operate Northrop Grumman E-2 twin turboprop Hawkeye which is relatively large AEW aircraft which could never get airborne from small carriers currently operated by Indian Navy.

“65000-tonne INS Vishal equipped with EMALS system will be too large for conventional generators to deliver ” Said well informed Naval Source close to idrw.org. EMALS System alone will push Indian Navy to go for Nuclear Propulsion which has put Indian Navy in a dilemma since it will make India invest heavily in developing Shipyard and facilities around it to support maintenance and overhauling of Nuclear Aircraft carrier, which could also see considerable delays in the development of India’s Second Indigenous aircraft carrier.

Naval Source close to idrw.org now has confirmed that Indian Navy and Ministry of Defence (Mod) are deliberating to develop another Vikrant Sister-class ship after INS Vikrant is completed and enters operational service in 2018 which will allow Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) to take up development of improved aircraft carrier on proved Vikrant class design with conventional propulsions .

@PARIKRAMA see the last para bro .....
We said it bro.. The learning's and investment dictates continuous churning with additional stuff over time..

It will come surely as CSL investment and time used all along needs to be used wisely not wasted..

As I said it's improved tonnage and will probably see Rafale Ms too in stobar config... That's the way commonality may exist across new improved IAC1 IAC2 and IAF.. Later if IN wants it may induct rafales and take over shore patrolling and maritime roles from IAF with a big fleet over time of course..

We can have strong hope that IN may soon be almost reaching capabilities similar to IAF over next 3 decades max

Their is nothing wrong with Building another improved Vikrant class weighing around 50000 Ton

But their are 2 issues :
it cant launch Hawkeye 2D AEWC aircrafts which India plans to induct.

Vikrant class can only launch STOBAR and STOVL aircrafts which leave only 2 options ie Mig29K and F35B

Don't Say LCA N
Since it's still 7 years away from Deployment and will be inferior to the Mig29Ks

Indian Navy plans to retire its Mig29K fleet in year 2043 along with INS Vikramaditya

That leaves just the F35B for the next 25 years of the life of INS Vikrant

If we go for a second Vikrant class Carrier, then we will be stuck with F35B

With a catobar carrier
You at least have the option of Rafale M and F/A18 which will be much cheaper than F35C while still being relevant till year 2050

We said it bro.. The learning's and invebant dictates continuous churning with additional stuff over time..

It will come surely as CSL investment and time used all along needs to be used wisely not wasted..

As I said it's improved tonnage and will probably see Rafale Ms too in stobar config... That's the way commonality may exist across new improved IAC1 IAC2 and IAF.. Later if IN wants it may induct rafales and take over shore patrolling and maritime roles from IAF with a big fleet over time of course..

We can have strong hope that IN may soon be almost reaching capabilities similar to IAF over next 3 decades max

Everything is alright, but the hint I have received is not pro Rafale M so early. The last batch of Mig29K will most probably be delivered this year, and just after it the navy , can order between " 36-72"more Mig29K for IAC 1 along with Improved IAC 1. And this can happen anytime after the 3rd quarter. Also I am not so sure, but it would be accompanied, with about a dozen Kamovs too. And the happiest part .... 3-5 submarines. ( I think most probably 2 Akula and ~2 Kilos). But no update on status of additional Talwars.

But what concerns me is the number of other ships, no movement on Replenishment ships, minesweepers or more air defence ships , required for forming CBGs.

Unless they intend to build a Kuzentosov, they need to focus on every sector.

Also good news will be coming on Scorpenes, the 2Nd one is maintaining its timeline.

Their is nothing wrong with Building another improved Vikrant class weighing around 50000 Ton

But their are 2 issues :
it cant launch Hawkeye 2D AEWC aircrafts which India plans to induct.

Vikrant class can only launch STOBAR and STOVL aircrafts which leave only 2 options ie Mig29K and F35B

Don't Say LCA N
Since it's still 7 years away from Deployment and will be inferior to the Mig29Ks

Indian Navy plans to retire its Mig29K fleet in year 2043 along with INS Vikramaditya

That leaves just the F35B for the next 25 years of the life of INS Vikrant

If we go for a second Vikrant class Carrier, then we will be stuck with F35B

With a catobar carrier
You at least have the option of Rafale M and F/A18 which will be much cheaper than F35C while still being relevant till year 2050

Mig29K will be serving as long as INS Vikrant is in service. Its being underrated. Its capable to do anything and everything a F18 C/D can. And with an MLU, it comes up the E/F level.
For AEWS , Ka31 is taking the workload. If needed we can go for some V22s.

Everything is alright, but the hint I have received is not pro Rafale M so early. The last batch of Mig29K will most probably be delivered this year, and just after it the navy , can order between " 36-72"more Mig29K for IAC 1 along with Improved IAC 1. And this can happen anytime after the 3rd quarter. Also I am not so sure, but it would be accompanied, with about a dozen Kamovs too. And the happiest part .... 3-5 submarines. ( I think most probably 2 Akula and ~2 Kilos). But no update on status of additional Talwars.

But what concerns me is the number of other ships, no movement on Replenishment ships, minesweepers or more air defence ships , required for forming CBGs.

Unless they intend to build a Kuzentosov, they need to focus on every sector.

Also good news will be coming on Scorpenes, the 2Nd one is maintaining its timeline.

Mig29K will be serving as long as INS Vikrant is in service. Its being underrated. Its capable to do anything and everything a F18 C/D can. And with an MLU, it comes up the E/F level.
For AEWS , Ka31 is taking the workload. If needed we can go for some V22s.

Vikrant will enter service in 2018-19
And will retire between yr 2068 and 2073

I don't see the Mig29Ks inducted in year 2013 serving till year 2068 ie for 55 years
No matter how much MLU they go through

Vikrant will enter service in 2018-19
And will retire between ydo and 2073

I don't see the Mig29Ks inducted in year 2013 serving till year 2068 ie for 55 years
No matter how much MLU they go through

Yes that's obvious, but don't you think that you are doing injustice by thinking that in next 25 years too we will not have a platform to fly from STOBAR ? IS it not possible that in next 25 years our own AMCA capable of flying from STOBAR is ready?

Yes that's obvious, but don't you think that you are doing injustice by thinking that in next 25 years too we will not have a platform to fly from STOBAR ? IS it not possible that in next 25 years our own AMCA capable of flying from STOBAR is ready?

I am saying that
F35B will remain the only credible option after year 2045
Unless we develop an AMCA that at least gets close to the performance of F35

I am saying that
F35B will remain the only credible option after year 2045
Unless we develop an AMCA that at least gets close to the performance of F35

Well you cannot claim that in next 30 years only F35B will remain in options for operating from a STOBAR. There are numerous projects which offer many alternatives. The chief one being FGFA N, may be even Japanese ones or may be even a modified Rafale, like we did with the Fulcrums. Even if we remove AMCA, very high chances are there that a Naval LCA , after subsequent improvements over 30 years will offer very good capabilities.

Well you cannot claim that in next 30 years only F35B will remain in options for operating from a STOBAR. There are numerous projects which offer many alternatives. The chief one being FGFA N, may be even Japanese ones or may be even a modified Rafale, like we did with the Fulcrums. Even if we remove AMCA, very high chances are there that a Naval LCA , after subsequent improvements over 30 years will offer very good capabilities.

FGFA N will be too heavy for smaller Indian Carriers

Why do you think India didn't go for Su33

This is also the same reason why China still can't launch a fighter from Liaoning

Also Barring Rafale and the Typhoon
I don't see any other 4++ Gen Fighter lasting beyond 2055

FGFA N will be too heavy for smaller Indian Carriers

Why do you think India didn't go for Su33

This is also the same reason why China still can't launch a fighter from Liaoning

Also Barring Rafale and the Typhoon
I don't see any other 4++ Gen Fighter lasting beyond 2055

Russia is preparing to use PAK FA from aircraft carriers, the present aircraft carrier is a STOBAR one, if they can make a Pak Fa fly from Kuzentosov, no reason why it cannot fly from INS Vikrant.

EMALs will come with launch software coded to give an excellent level of control to the United States over the Indian carrier.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom