What's new

Electricity import from India a priority for Nawaz

So why is it that the Indian government spends so much on social welfare programs like NEGEA (can't remember the exact spelling) instead of building a national manufacturing base, which should have been started decades ago to get the benefits now?

Because spending money now gets you political mileage. I believe the Americans call it "pork barrel spending".

Whereas spending money for something that will only really pay off in 1-2 decades, and taking the money away from projects like NEGEA, that is a hard sell.

NREGA is a necessity, I refuse to believe its a short term measure. We need sustained spending in that for some time. Party in power benefitted from it no doubt.
Money is not an issue for GoI if it wants to commission a big project now a days (can easily get money from WB and other sources) . Show me a project which was stopped due to lack of money. Its mismanagement and corruption that is the issue.

Manufacturing is problem due to labour laws, and it wont be removed anytime soon. Its a political issue. Even if govt pushes, it wont take off due to difficulty in land aquisition.

You missed the rest of my post, I edited it in later:

You're right. Widening the tax net would have been a better example.

Politically painful in the short term, beneficial to your country in the long term.

NREGA is a necessity, I refuse to believe its a short term measure. We need sustained spending in that for some time. Party in power benefitted from it no doubt.
Money is not an issue for GoI if it wants to commission a big project now a days (can easily get money from WB and other sources) . Show me a project which was stopped due to lack of money. Its mismanagement and corruption that is the issue.

Manufacturing is problem due to labour laws, and it wont be removed anytime soon. Its a political issue. Even if govt pushes, it wont take off due to difficulty in land aquisition.

Corruption and mismanagement is the only reason why India is behind in infrastructure?

Like I said, building a national manufacturing base is the kind of thing that takes decades to pay off. It's a hard sell for any politician.

It requires more than just the average politician, it requires a leader with vision. I thought Barak Obama would rebuild the American industrial base but I seem to have been wrong.

We shouldn't get anything from India. They will turn the lights off as soon as LeJ does some fireworks.

backtracked i am not worried about but the only thing i am glad about is that he seems to be serious about it! unlike last government!!!

You should be worried about munafiqs ...coz they dont do what they say ...Islam alaso warned us about this kind of people

We shouldn't get anything from India. They will turn the lights off as soon as LeJ does some fireworks.

LeJ ?? We couldn't care less about LeJ, they operate within your country for now. Even if you meant the LeT, you are still wrong. You would atleast have power till the LeT does a strike & there will be reason for both your government & the LeT to be wary about allowing/doing a strike.

Everything that goes against you can not be the conspiracy my friend. There is a reality. If for the sake of argument, if i agree about India lobbying is strong, then what are you doing about it?

Unfortunately we are not doing anything, but other than fight with each other.

But now most of us do realize our mistakes.. Will recover soon InshAllah..

Electricity import from India on the cards
A number of proposals are being considered by the Nawaz Sharif government in order to deal with energy crisis in the country, including import of electricity from India.

According to details, both long and short term plans are being considered. In the short terms, proposals include hiking budget deficit by a few percentage points diverting additional resources towards energy needs. Alternatively, diverting major resources from the Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) to energy crisis.

Sources in the economic ministries confirmed that in the long run, import of electricity from India as well as from Iran and Central Asian Republics (CARs) was feasible. Islamabad-based top official of the World Bank also explained that such a scheme was considered feasible and that 1,000MWs could be imported from India within the next two years.

Additionaly, feasibility studies have confirmed technical and economic viability of exporting summer time electricity surpluses from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan from existing power plants to relieve power shortages in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Yet the lack of a regional energy sharing mechanism has created difficulties in exploring these options so far. - See more at: Electricity import from India on the cards | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

Pakistanis need to be very commonsensical about this. You are not about to generate more power in a hurry and it is really stupid to condemn so many to be without power if there is a solution, even if it bothers you that you are doing business with India. I believe that Pakistanis must welcome an immediate (almost) solution & must also look to making it a part of the long term solution. There is no reason that Pakistan cannot be more connected to a Indo-Pak grid & must propose building & operating power plants jointly. It is simply the most realistic way of sorting out your pressing power problems. We will have our own reasons for joining you; the hope that a vision of a shared present & future will make you pause before completely ignoring Indian concerns. That isn't a bad thing actually, even for Pakistanis.

You missed the rest of my post, I edited it in later:

Corruption and mismanagement is the only reason why India is behind in infrastructure?

Like I said, building a national manufacturing base is the kind of thing that takes decades to pay off. It's a hard sell for any politician.

It requires more than just the average politician, it requires a leader with vision. I thought Barak Obama would rebuild the American industrial base but I seem to have been wrong.

No, corruption and mismanagement are not the only issue, show land aquisition process and slow beurocracy (and justice system) are to blame too. A project can be delayed and the cost can multiply because it goes to court. Happened many times.

Indian infra is bad because of all these and also because it was never good prior to 90s. Since we started to have some money, each party that came to power has invested in infra building and got political dividend from it.

To go back to original question, yes NS will commission some big project, if not power generation specific then something else. PML-N has the habit of showcasing grand projects (sometimes a bit too much).

To go back to original question, yes NS will commission some big project, if not power generation specific then something else. PML-N has the habit of showcasing grand projects (sometimes a bit too much).

We'll see if it works.

Nawaz Sharif was the previous national leader right, what did he do for Pakistan's infrastructure back then?

No way. How a nation can export electricity when it itself facing an average 2-3 hours of power shortage everyday?

Go for "Domestic Hydropower".

The Three Gorges Dam alone produces 22.5 Gigawatts of power, that is more than the entire power consumption of most medium sized countries.

And it will pay for it's own construction costs after less than a decade.

Great Idea.

Minor problem - What do they use for water & where are the funds ?

@ Subject. I think its a good move. A leader is responsible to his people & if need be he should go to the devil himself to alleviate problems of his people.

Look at it this way, if there is fear of India shutting off the power - even Pak can say no thank you whenever it wishes too.

Let not the ordinary tax payer sweat it out for no fault of his.

Back
Top Bottom