What's new

Electricity import from India a priority for Nawaz

wrong move....
why not import from Iran or better make your own.

I totally agree.

There is no point in importing electricity from India when we should be importing it from Iran. However, it's obvious this fat moron is way too close to the Saudi royalty to be objective.

India itself is already experiencing energy shortages across the country.

We would rather improve relations with a Muslim country like Iran particularly in light of Afghanistan than fund India which is known to support attacks against Pakistani's and our interests.

why import when we can produce our own? our power plants are shut down, we have ample and i mean AMPLE amount of production facility for electricity, it is because of ***** politicians and their personal interest we have this so called load shedding problem

why import when we can produce our own? our power plants are shut down, we have ample and i mean AMPLE amount of production facility for electricity, it is because of ***** politicians and their personal interest we have this so called load shedding problem

Plants require fuel and if those plants are old then they cant give you the best output making the overall project unviable to operate if there is no subsidy from the govmt...

if u go for the revamp of the old plants then again it is more or less back to square one....huge investment and time consuming activity!

Plants require fuel

The fact is that Pakistan already has the fuel and would simply need to increase output from our conventional natural gas fields to meet the immediate short term needs while using the profits and loans, since the budget would be met by the increased tax revenue (assuming Nawaz actually raises the tax to GDP ratio to 15% though 17% is preferred), to pay for production of shale gas after which the country can finally build Kalabagh dam as well as extract tight gas/coal bed methane all the while expanding into the production of fuel/electricity from Thar's massive lignite deposits (this would probably be best done last at which time UCG should have become a lot cheaper and more efficient).

and if those plants are old then they cant give you the best output

The plants can be refurbished and/or refitted to consume indigenous fuel sources and this was actually one of the suggestions the US was making in order to reduce the impact of the "energy crisis" which is actually the result of total mismanagement.

Bastard Nawaz clearly showing that he can't do anything to solve this on going Energy Crises & he is not willing to make Bhasha, Kala Bagh Dam & Thar Power project plus this could also mean no Nuclear Agreement with China.

In short ek kuta gaya dusra kuta agaya to hurt Pakistan, in worse possible way. Whatever this bastard Nawaz is doing he is directly defying Quaid E Azam Muhammed Ali Jinnah.

nwaaz+s.jpg

The fact is that Pakistan already has the fuel and would simply need to increase output from our conventional natural gas fields to meet the immediate short term needs while using the profits and loans, since the budget would be met by the increased tax revenue (assuming Nawaz actually raises the tax to GDP ratio to 15% though 17% is preferred), to pay for production of shale gas after which the country can finally build Kalabagh dam as well as extract tight gas/coal bed methane all the while expanding into the production of fuel/electricity from Thar's massive lignite deposits (this would probably be best done last at which time UCG should have become a lot cheaper and more efficient).

The plants can be refurbished and/or refitted to consume indigenous fuel sources and this was actually one of the suggestions the US was making in order to reduce the impact of the "energy crisis" which is actually the result of total mismanagement.

You live in Pakistan? For Gas we are already face shortage. Sui Gas need to make Loadshadding in the different cities for 3-4 days to make sure whole Pakistan don't face any issue.

Kalabagh Dam, will PTI allow NS to build it? I think they will not.. But yes many hyderal thermal projects are in line.

For Gas we are already face shortage

Again this has nothing to do with actual shortages just total mismanagement.

In 2009 Pakistan's natural gas reserves stood at 31.3 trillion cubic feet and at current consumption rates (i.e. about 1.5 trillion cubic feet a year). If production from conventional natural gas reserves are increased to meet that demand it lasts for almost 21 years.

Now obviously consumption rates are going to increase and more importantly Pakistan has to meet it's current overall electricity shortfall which stood at around 8500 MW in 2012 but let's assume 10,000 MW to account for 2013. Thus, Pakistan would next need to tap it's recoverable shale gas reserves which currently stand at around 51 trillion cubic feet and a fuel source the US has been successfully exploiting for years now. A Generac SG200 (i.e. 200KW) natural gas generator consumes around 2600 cubic feet of natural gas an hour at full load so a 10,000 MW power plant (containing 50000 of these generators though obviously the country would use larger scale generators) running 24/7/365 (there are peak demand hours and less electricity is required in the evenings but for simplicity sake we'll just go with this) would last about 44 years on the shale gas reserves.

This doesn't include Pakistan's coal bed methane (about 35 trillion cubic feet total but around 21 trillion cubic feet considered recoverable according to Energy Delta Institute) and tight gas reserves (33 trillion cubic feet according to ENI Pakistan though not sure how much of that is considered recoverable but let's assume about 19 trillion or 60% of total reserves like the case with coal bed methane).

Obviously work will also need to be done to Pakistan's transmission/distribution system which is loosing a lot of electricity (about 16% according to the World Bank when countries like the US and UK experience losses around 7% of total output).

Regardless, You can clearly see that Pakistan is not lacking energy sources. However, because of the lack of tax collection that can be used to fund indigenous energy production and corruption on the part of government officials who I suspect are paid bribes to sign contracts that require Pakistan to import gas/oil from abroad the country is facing the crisis it is today.

This is one of the major reasons I support the PTI because they tell people the truth and their energy policy was centered on the principle that Pakistan must exploit it's own reserves.

With the energy produced from the above sources (based on recoverable yields), assuming $3 of GDP/KWh and 1% of the GDP allocated towards energy production the country would have about $255 billion to invest in power plants that use Thar coal/lignite for electricity production (ex. about $2500/KW for UCG) or more environmentally friendly hydro projects like Kalabagh Dam or even, what I believe is the future, enhanced geothermal energy (though the initial costs are high because of it's overall superior capacity factor and the fact it's environmentally friendly/renewable source of electricity it's the better investment).

Hmmm why Electricity import from India?

I am sure there is already a lot of electric shedding problem in India as well...

Strange.

India's electric shedding problem is seasonal..Most of the paces have powercuts only in summer season & in monsoon , most of the states have surplus electricity.So we can sell that to neighbours.

FYI, Our Gujarat state itself is producing 3 GW additional power than its internal demands.(Pakistans total power generation -- 19.5 GW)

Oh Bhai Afghanistan Se Hee Import karlo Lekin Bijli Ko Kahi Se Laaaaao...

A friend of mine came back from Kabul last night spending 7-days there, and he said not for a single minute the electricity went during these days and I was like WTH...

Its Imran khan responsibility to provide KPK non stop electricity.

Back
Top Bottom