What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

@The SC and @Amun , either of you fellas know anything about this defensive fragmentation & chaff producing missile system developed by AOI in Egypt? Supposedly it works similarly to APS on tanks but not exactly sure of how it works or what it's called? This was produced way back in 2006.

EbhfbYDWsAE_GN_

EbhfbYEXQAMw6NX

Egyptian Navy corvette El Suez seen in Toulon, France in the last couple of days.

EbhNC3SWoAEEe_H

EbhNErkWkAIjrd5

It's really interesting how many people ask the same question with the same implications. First of all, Egypt's military needed a major modernization, mostly in the air force as well as the navy. Those two are the main branches that really needed a lot of help.

Then there is the issue of the US through the peace treaty military financial aid and the VERY WELL KNOWN story about the US not supplying Egypt's 4th largest fleet of F-16s in the world the AIM-120 missile and only an upgrade of the entire fleet of under block 40 Falcons to be brought up to blck 40 standards but still, no approval for the AIM-120 despite having the AIM-7M which has a 70 km range instead of the AIM-120's 100+. So the high-end BVR missiles being denied to Egypt (and much of it is also Egypt's fault as we've discussed that on this thread to be fair, they could've done a lot to get the approval of the missiles and one of the main things was signing the CISMOA act which Egypt refused to do so for the longest time until a few years ago. That would've eased the US' mind about approving the missiles because the CISMOA is essentially what guarantees and protects and regulates the use of sensitive American avionics and communications systems. Refusing to sign that treaty was very strange to many of us. We couldn't understand why since it would only help and not hurt in any way since they eventually did sign it!?) so that aspect was high on the list to go get along with the modernization.

The other reason was a new policy to not depend on only one or two sources of weapons (and their weaponry) and to expand that. So the first thing was a whammy when the 2 Mistrals became available and Egypt had been looking at Rafales since 2009 and suddenly, that mega deal comes to fruition including the FREMM frigate and the 4 Gowinds. Then the 4 Romeo submarines needed a major upgrade and who else to go to but the Germans for 4 Type 209s. Then the Rafale was so liked by the EAF (we can also see how much it's been liked by India as well) that we had an option for 12 more over the 24 we bought and went to execute that option and ran into snags with the French on financing. So that came to an end. In the meantime, we had already agreed with the Russians that all our MiG-21s and F-7 Airguards needed to be replaced and so we went to buy 50 MiG-35s. So that's where those came from and of course, the whole time we had in mind for some air superiority aircraft and so the Su-35 deal was signed. With those 2 aircraft gave the EAF some serious BVR capabilities to add to the MICA IR & ER in the R-77 & R-73. This was also something that was discussed back in 2011, so it's not a surprise.

With the snag on the Rafale came a snag with the additional navy equipment namely the additional FREMM frigate we wanted as well as another 4 Gowind corvettes on top of the original 4 we received. As a result, we talked to Italy for their FREMMs which are essentially a close variant of the French FREMM to keep things close as well as expanding the naval element by buying 6 Meko frigates from Germany and with the pair of Italian Bergamini Class FREMMs, a deal for 24 Typhoons came up and I personally think that because of their compatibility with the Rafales that they were agreed on to augment that variant of fighters in the EAF as well as add to the MICA BVR missiles and the order of Meteor missile to get even more meteors.

As far as maintenance, the EAF hasn't had any difficulty maintaining US, French, Russian and Chinese aircraft in the past and so it shouldn't be an issue at all now with even newer aircraft that have easier maintenance routines to them. And the Rafale were easily and quickly absorbed by the EAF and their manitenance crews and with our previous Russian experience, the MiG-35s have also been easily absorbed and so will the Su-35s when they come InshaAllah. The Typhoon should also be a relatively seamless transition into the EAF (if that deal goes through) considering the similarity to the Rafale and my guess is those two will function as a single unit in missions and in technical aspects. So that's the jist of the whole different arms purchases.

EDIT: The 46 new helicopters (the Ka-52 Nile Crocodiles) was brought out of the need to expand the 46 Apache attack helos that the Armed Forces had but also because the Long Bow radar was denied to Egypt (also most likely because of the CISMOA treaty not being signed) and the Ka-52s also were a lead into the eventual Ka-52K Katrans which would be the naval helo to equip the Mistrals. That was born out of that entire deal since that was what the Russians were going to do with those 2 Mistrals and Egypt is just following that line of thinking because it works well to have that attack capability off the LHDs. But that could also change as things develop.

New photos of transit maritime training between the Egyptian frigate El Suez and the Spanish frigate Santa Maria in the Egyptian Southern Fleet in the Red Sea a few days ago.

So TLDR is:

1. Americans refused to upgrade the Egyptian F-16's with the latest technology and weapons(probably to keep Israel's technological superiority?) and only allowed for limited mid-life upgrade packets.

2. The Egyptian shot themselves in the foot by not signing the CISMOA, therefor being mistrusted by the Americans about their intentions. Ironically they did signed it years later but the damage was done.

3. The Egyptians wanted to diversify their sources when it comes to weapon systems and armaments. This solved the above mentioned problems by providing neccesary systems thats was refused otherwise by the Americans(Like proper BVR capabilities in the form of Su-35).

4. You wont have problems with maintenance because... you never had problems with maintenance before? And the newer aircrafts have better maintenance routines.

5. The similarities in the weapons systems allow for easy maintenance as they are build by the same standard and same philosophy in mind.

I gotta say some of these arguments makes perfect sense, especially the first half. But its around the latter ones around maintenance where you lose me a bit. As far i am aware of there is no local domestic defence industry involved in the production of spare parts(afaik). Which means the supply lines and spare parts are entirely dependent on foreign sources to maintain these acquired goodies. The thing is that newer weapons tend to have a much higher maintenance cost because of their complexity and advanced features. Its true that keeping your armed force maintained and supplied during peacetime is normal but whose to say it will be during war time.

So you solve the problems that are plaguing your armed forces, but in turn you are met with new ones as a result of getting those problems solved. I think that was more the question i wanted to be answered, not so much as to why you bought these weapons, but more about how Egypt plans to solve the new problems. Localy production? Developing your own defence industry? Political concession(as a lot of people tend to believe)?

86724027_1873620322768941_6528184933679104000_o.jpg

Egyptian Navy Romeo Class Submarine firing an Exocet missile on a training exercise. These old subs still have a lot of use left in them if their engines and props can stay quiet enough with upgrades.
80009516_1795548410576133_6625690153111257088_o.jpg

79409709_1795548407242800_6838349411458744320_o.jpg

Last edited:
Egyptian Navy Romeo Class Submarine firing a sea to air missile on a training exercise. These old subs still have a lot of use left in them if their engines and props can stay quiet enough with upgrades.
80009516_1795548410576133_6625690153111257088_o.jpg
do you know what missile??

do you know what missile??

My bad, I just copied and pasted what was written from the source but it was incorrect and I forgot to correct it - it's actually an Exocet anti ship missile. The SeaKing helo was to monitor the launch and record the target hit etc.

@Gomig-21
@The SC
You guys heard of this? I saw this on an Arab defense forum and was quite intrigued. It isn't an M113 or a BMP although the tracks are quite similar. I wonder if this is a new built vehicle or a M113 survival upgrade.

ERANJX5X0AA84mT.jpg

upload_2020-6-29_20-19-34.jpeg

1581961483737977700.jpg

https://defense-arab.com/vb/attachments/235876/
As you can see, the tracked wheels are quite similar to a M113s.

23o0NNk51IFp2bzxP8ojQiUO799DY3BoqNPBBmvZ8w4LpjlcTcACkQy0av4KP16nLDp2zXIP_dagFOCA3zZIhic36773

The top of the vehicle nor the shape seem very similar

m113_top_view.jpg

@Gomig-21
@The SC
You guys heard of this? I saw this on an Arab defense forum and was quite intrigued. It isn't an M113 or a BMP although the tracks are quite similar. I wonder if this is a new built vehicle or a M113 survival upgrade.

ERANJX5X0AA84mT.jpg

Yep, it's called the Sinai-200 APC, based on the BMP-1 chassis with a protective cage around it. Experimental as far as we know, similar to this BMP-1 amphibious kit modification. They did something similar to that amphibious kit with the M-113 as well.

a-02-01-armc3a9e-de-terre-c3a0-nasr-city-13.jpg

a-02-01-armc3a9e-de-terre-c3a0-nasr-city-112.jpg

Yep, it's called the Sinai-200 APC, based on the BMP-1 chassis with a protective cage around it. Experimental as far as we know, similar to this BMP-1 amphibious kit modification. They did something similar to that amphibious kit with the M-113 as well.

a-02-01-armc3a9e-de-terre-c3a0-nasr-city-13.jpg

a-02-01-armc3a9e-de-terre-c3a0-nasr-city-112.jpg
So not new production as claimed? Just modification?

So not new production as claimed? Just modification?

No, that one with the cage was actually all new production, just based on the BMP. The other one with the amphibious kit as well as the 113 were modifications. Sorry I confused things. But yeah, that first one was all new from scratch, that's why it looks a little different because of a few changes.

First pics of Egyptian Air Force Su-35S under construction. This was reportedly from a Russian TV or video footage that also claimed that there were specific modifications requested by the EAF similar to ones made for the MiG-35s.

Ebp-6mEWsAEHS40

Ebp-6l_X0AANPbG

Ebp-6mEXYAAtnxr

Old pictures that I didn't see posted, if you want to see them you must reply to me because this forum doesn't work for these pictures.

@The SC and @Amun , either of you fellas know anything about this defensive fragmentation & chaff producing missile system developed by AOI in Egypt? Supposedly it works similarly to APS on tanks but not exactly sure of how it works or what it's called? This was produced way back in 2006.

EbhfbYDWsAE_GN_

EbhfbYEXQAMw6NX

Egyptian Navy corvette El Suez seen in Toulon, France in the last couple of days.

EbhNC3SWoAEEe_H

EbhNErkWkAIjrd5
I have seen news before that Egypt was working on its own APS..

Old pictures that I didn't see posted, if you want to see them you must reply to me because this forum doesn't work for these pictures.

The middle picture looks slightly suspicious LOL! If you look closely you'll know what I mean. The first and third look ok, but could be the Su-35s for the VVS. I'm currently looking for the video that these supposedly came out of. If you find it, post it please.

Back
Top Bottom