What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

I think those are Leading Edge Vortex Controllers(LEVCONs) supposed to aid in handling at low speeds.
We have them on the Technology Demonstrator LCA-Navy prototypes as well.
In the above case, Canards were deemed to be a hindrance for pilots' visibility during the crucial and dangerous landing phase so this was the solution.
IV00jNb.jpg

You can see it better from up above:
upGHEeY.jpg

I think those are Leading Edge Vortex Controllers(LEVCONs) supposed to aid in handling at low speeds.
We have them on the Technology Demonstrator LCA-Navy prototypes as well.
In the above case, Canards were deemed to be a hindrance for pilots' visibility during the crucial and dangerous landing phase so this was the solution.
IV00jNb.jpg

You can see it better from up above:
upGHEeY.jpg

That's exactly what they are. In a very similar sense, they function almost identically like close-coupled canards since they control the airflow (be it the vortex or just normal airflow) over the wings and in this case, it's distributing the airflow over the LERX and not necessarily the wing. But many will tell you that the LERX is essentially the wing root of the wing and is part of the wing. It works out really well for the Su-57 being that its LERX is gigantic and you can call it part of the body or part of the wing that still generates lift, despite the air intakes being directly under them. A very similar design in the F-15 Eagle with the wider fuselage that helped create lift when that one Israeli F-15 lost a wing in a mid-air collision with a Skyhawk and the pilot found out he could generate lift by increasing speed with the throttle because the Eagle's body is so wide and it basically replaced the wing. He had to land it at a high speed because slowing it down would cause too much vibration and bring the aircraft closer to stalling. But he managed to land it. I'm sure you've heard and seen that story?

That's so cool that the Tejas is one of only two aircraft with LEVCONs out there! :tup:

Funnily enough India has never operated single seater Su. Requirements were borne out by missions as the Su was the first "Multirole"(In the true sense) fighter with the IAF.
But the Canards are computer controlled(as is the case with all aircraft now) and has good degree of movement.
Extreme case here(although I have never seen this position in flight)
LWv69Xl.jpg

Check out this Malaysian Su-30MKM. Couple of really interesting things I just noticed watching this video and was wondering if you had seen these before or not. Aside from the wicked hilarious crew guy doing flight controls check and all his funny gyrations etc. lol, the first thing (something I noticed a few years ago during one of their aerobatic demonstrations and the pilot had a GoPro in cockpit so we got a closeup of it) is the French helmet. These two drivers (pilot and WSO) are both using the latest French helmets that you see Rafale plots wearing instead of the standard, bubbly Russian helmets. That I thought was pretty interesting for Su-30 pilots, don't you? The other thing is take a look at the IFF bird shredders on the front of the fuselage just like the F-16 and F/A-18!? That is really interesting considering those are pretty much American IFF antennas on a Russian aircraft unless they're generic or reverse engineered antennas? Never seen them on any other aircraft besides mostly the F-16 or the legacy F/A-18 and the new Super Hornets have a solid plate, now, instead of individual antennas or shredders like those. What do you think of that? Mostly the first 5 minutes and then the rest is the flight show which is pretty good.

I agree on the IFF antenna, maybe it was "inspired" :D by their Hornets.
And apart from the Su-30SM which is the most tricked out of the IAPO Sukhois and the latest variant, the Malay Su come next, they also spent quite a fair bit thanks to a smaller fleet.

Man the anti-Egyptian garbage has reached a new level of low on this forum. It truly is staggering especially coming from Pakistanis. Hard to understand that since we really never had a beef with them but their Turkish alliance makes them compelled to line up on their side and so automatically it plays out that way with the tensions between the Turkeys and Egypt. And the thread about the EAF's F-16 without AIM-120 is a laughing stock! :lol: Been a while since I've seen utter childish incompetence and ignorance. I felt like my IQ dropped a good 150 points reading halfway through that thing! When I left the thread, my head was spinning and it literally took 10 minutes for the old melon to square up and get back on the level. Oooof. Real shame, though, but I don't hold all Pakistanis to that level of ignorant idiocy and hatred and just to a certain group albeit a large one, sadly.

I can't even imagine how you Indian folks deal with the systematic abuse! God bless you all that you can constantly brush it aside. All the power to you. Might have to take a much longer break this time around, with this ravishing and uncontrollable hatred spewing around here like a cancer. Especially with the start of summer and the boat is ready to be launched and we have other forums to enjoy that actually police things A LOT better than this crazy freak show. But hopefully we'll see some of the Su-35s show up soon.

Man the anti-Egyptian garbage has reached a new level of low on this forum. It truly is staggering especially coming from Pakistanis. Hard to understand that since we really never had a beef with them but their Turkish alliance makes them compelled to line up on their side and so automatically it plays out that way with the tensions between the Turkeys and Egypt. And the thread about the EAF's F-16 without AIM-120 is a laughing stock! :lol: Been a while since I've seen utter childish incompetence and ignorance. I felt like my IQ dropped a good 150 points reading halfway through that thing! When I left the thread, my head was spinning and it literally took 10 minutes for the old melon to square up and get back on the level. Oooof. Real shame, though, but I don't hold all Pakistanis to that level of ignorant idiocy and hatred and just to a certain group albeit a large one, sadly.

I can't even imagine how you Indian folks deal with the systematic abuse! God bless you all that you can constantly brush it aside. All the power to you. Might have to take a much longer break this time around, with this ravishing and uncontrollable hatred spewing around here like a cancer. Especially with the start of summer and the boat is ready to be launched and we have other forums to enjoy that actually police things A LOT better than this crazy freak show. But hopefully we'll see some of the Su-35s show up soon.
Man..I learned one important thing in these long years on this forum ..ant that is to reverse what these mad minds are thinking.. and then one can see the truth clearly..They are mostly talking and criticizing their own misery and sadness.. and trying to project it on anything positive that is opposite to their own feelings.. these are not rational people.. and they can't understand that what they say depicts mainly their state of mind.. meaning themselves and their conditions that they are no happy with..

Like in that thread you mentioned.. so much crying and fake talk..at first and then the truth comes out as a flash light.. they would love to have those F-16s for themselves..even just a few..HaHa.. I can assure you I was waiting for it to come out.. and it did after so much black cobra poison..

In another thread on the Pakistani airforce.. the JF-17 blk III.. someone mentioned Egypt there and its new procurements.. in a negative way..like usual..and then you have this "High status" Int'l mod telling him not to worry about a country when its people live on $1 a day.. and was saying all that is nothing and the usual rant.... I 've never seen ignorance so rampant

And That Turkey thing is most likely temporary like it was with Iran before.. for quite a few years and now they hate them to death..lol

And when it comes to Arabs..the hatred seems permanent.. lol...and I bet it stems from their being intrigued much by these Arabs.. they just can't believe their eyes and ears .. a lot of envy because of the money (this is obvious in every Arab thread) and much intrigue..and ignorance..

So let them enjoy their new temporary friends.. till the truth comes out on its own again.. but let them enjoy the illusion..even if it just gives them temporary good feelings about themselves.. they really need that..

Enjoy the boating buddy..

Last edited:

:tup: Cool, bro. Yeah I figured most of them are children, anyway. Probably under 20 years old and just trying to fit in with the rest of the pack, for the most part.

This rarity was posted on Mahmoud Gamal's Twitter handle - Mirage 2000 on the tarmac armed with MATRA SAMP 25ED 500Id bombs & fitted with a Remora ECM Pod. We rarely see these armed whatsoever.

EbN1ncYXkAArzRi

And for breaking good news, assembling of the first of 4 Egyptian Meko A200 frigates has begun at TKMS Shipyard in Keil, Germany. 3 will be built there and the 4th will be built in Alexandria.

EbNt4rmXQAERyuZ

EbNt5wRX0AY-yuN

EbNt5BCXgAA2es-

EbNt57_XkAEt5Mx

Its mob mentality. The irony being that on any other day we Turks are in your position, so its sad to see everyone fall into that trap knowing full well how it feels. Sad indeed.

Man..I learned one important thing in these long years on this forum ..ant that is to reverse what these mad minds are thinking.. and then one can see the truth clearly..They are mostly talking and criticizing their own misery and sadness.. and trying to project it on anything positive that is opposite to their own feelings.. these are not rational people.. and they can't understand that what they say depicts mainly their state of mind.. meaning themselves and their conditions that they are no happy with..

Like in that thread you mentioned.. so much crying and fake talk..at first and then the truth comes out as a flash light.. they would love to have those F-16s for themselves..even just a few..HaHa.. I can assure you I was waiting for it to come out.. and it did after so much black cobra poison..

In another thread on the Pakistani airforce.. the JF-17 blk III.. someone mentioned Egypt there and its new procurements.. in a negative way..like usual..and then you have this "High status" Int'l mod telling him not to worry about a country when its people live on $1 a day.. and was saying all that is nothing and the usual rant.... I 've never seen ignorance so rampant

And That Turkey thing is most likely temporary like it was with Iran before.. for quite a few years and now they hate them to death..lol

And when it comes to Arabs..the hatred seems permanent.. lol...and I bet it stems from their being intrigued much by these Arabs.. they just can't believe their eyes and ears .. a lot of envy because of the money (this is obvious in every Arab thread) and much intrigue..and ignorance..

So let them enjoy their new temporary friends.. till the truth comes out on its own again.. but let them enjoy the illusion..even if it just gives them temporary good feelings about themselves.. they really need that..

There was once a Chinese user who proudly proclaimed that China kills Uyghurs with flamethrowers and that it was a good thing, going as far as to say that they can do whatever they want and dared us to do something about it. It caused a massive uproar among Turkish posters and the Pakistan moderators and users basicaly either turned on the Turkish users like rabid dogs or straight up banned them. My point being yea you are right, this forum has a cancerous mob mentality and they have no principles.

Its mob mentality. The irony being that on any other day we Turks are in your position, so its sad to see everyone fall into that trap knowing full well how it feels. Sad indeed.

There was once a Chinese user who proudly proclaimed that China kills Uyghurs with flamethrowers and that it was a good thing, going as far as to say that they can do whatever they want and dared us to do something about it. It caused a massive uproar among Turkish posters and the Pakistan moderators and users basicaly either turned on the Turkish users like rabid dogs or straight up banned them. My point being yea you are right, this forum has a cancerous mob mentality and they have no principles.
I don't remember if you were still around at that time but Pakistani mods forbid us to talk about Uyghur Turks even in our section.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/dear-chinese-and-turkish-members.604202/
I left the forum for 1-1.5 years after that incident.

I believe at most 3 years, Turkey's relations with Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Israel will go back to normal.

I don't remember if you were still around at that time but Pakistani mods forbid us to talk about Uyghur Turks even in our section.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/dear-chinese-and-turkish-members.604202/
I left the forum for 1-1.5 years after that incident.

I believe at most 3 years, Turkey's relations with Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Israel will go back to normal.

Yeah i remember the bans being thrown around. It was a disgusting display of "brotherhood" from Pakistani users and mods. I still cant get that taste out of my mouth and has basically irreparably damaged my view of this forum. I left after that for quite some time aswell. Its the reason why i barelly come around here aswell, instead just have short intervals of being active here.

Like the guy flatout was proud and laughed at them burning Uyghurs alive, and he wasnt even banned.

Can anyone actually explain to me why Egypt is purchasing so many weapons from so many different sources? It honestly seems likes logistical and mechanical nightmare, especially considering there is next to no local industry involvement.

It's really interesting how many people ask the same question with the same implications. First of all, Egypt's military needed a major modernization, mostly in the air force as well as the navy. Those two are the main branches that really needed a lot of help.

Then there is the issue of the US through the peace treaty military financial aid and the VERY WELL KNOWN story about the US not supplying Egypt's 4th largest fleet of F-16s in the world the AIM-120 missile and only an upgrade of the entire fleet of under block 40 Falcons to be brought up to blck 40 standards but still, no approval for the AIM-120 despite having the AIM-7M which has a 70 km range instead of the AIM-120's 100+. So the high-end BVR missiles being denied to Egypt (and much of it is also Egypt's fault as we've discussed that on this thread to be fair, they could've done a lot to get the approval of the missiles and one of the main things was signing the CISMOA act which Egypt refused to do so for the longest time until a few years ago. That would've eased the US' mind about approving the missiles because the CISMOA is essentially what guarantees and protects and regulates the use of sensitive American avionics and communications systems. Refusing to sign that treaty was very strange to many of us. We couldn't understand why since it would only help and not hurt in any way since they eventually did sign it!?) so that aspect was high on the list to go get along with the modernization.

The other reason was a new policy to not depend on only one or two sources of weapons (and their weaponry) and to expand that. So the first thing was a whammy when the 2 Mistrals became available and Egypt had been looking at Rafales since 2009 and suddenly, that mega deal comes to fruition including the FREMM frigate and the 4 Gowinds. Then the 4 Romeo submarines needed a major upgrade and who else to go to but the Germans for 4 Type 209s. Then the Rafale was so liked by the EAF (we can also see how much it's been liked by India as well) that we had an option for 12 more over the 24 we bought and went to execute that option and ran into snags with the French on financing. So that came to an end. In the meantime, we had already agreed with the Russians that all our MiG-21s and F-7 Airguards needed to be replaced and so we went to buy 50 MiG-35s. So that's where those came from and of course, the whole time we had in mind for some air superiority aircraft and so the Su-35 deal was signed. With those 2 aircraft gave the EAF some serious BVR capabilities to add to the MICA IR & ER in the R-77 & R-73. This was also something that was discussed back in 2011, so it's not a surprise.

With the snag on the Rafale came a snag with the additional navy equipment namely the additional FREMM frigate we wanted as well as another 4 Gowind corvettes on top of the original 4 we received. As a result, we talked to Italy for their FREMMs which are essentially a close variant of the French FREMM to keep things close as well as expanding the naval element by buying 6 Meko frigates from Germany and with the pair of Italian Bergamini Class FREMMs, a deal for 24 Typhoons came up and I personally think that because of their compatibility with the Rafales that they were agreed on to augment that variant of fighters in the EAF as well as add to the MICA BVR missiles and the order of Meteor missile to get even more meteors.

As far as maintenance, the EAF hasn't had any difficulty maintaining US, French, Russian and Chinese aircraft in the past and so it shouldn't be an issue at all now with even newer aircraft that have easier maintenance routines to them. And the Rafale were easily and quickly absorbed by the EAF and their manitenance crews and with our previous Russian experience, the MiG-35s have also been easily absorbed and so will the Su-35s when they come InshaAllah. The Typhoon should also be a relatively seamless transition into the EAF (if that deal goes through) considering the similarity to the Rafale and my guess is those two will function as a single unit in missions and in technical aspects. So that's the jist of the whole different arms purchases.

EDIT: The 46 new helicopters (the Ka-52 Nile Crocodiles) was brought out of the need to expand the 46 Apache attack helos that the Armed Forces had but also because the Long Bow radar was denied to Egypt (also most likely because of the CISMOA treaty not being signed) and the Ka-52s also were a lead into the eventual Ka-52K Katrans which would be the naval helo to equip the Mistrals. That was born out of that entire deal since that was what the Russians were going to do with those 2 Mistrals and Egypt is just following that line of thinking because it works well to have that attack capability off the LHDs. But that could also change as things develop.

New photos of transit maritime training between the Egyptian frigate El Suez and the Spanish frigate Santa Maria in the Egyptian Southern Fleet in the Red Sea a few days ago.

EbW72RyXsAI-YZk

EbW74wBWoAAZqrp

Last edited:
It's really interesting how many people ask the same question with the same implications. First of all, Egypt's military needed a major modernization, mostly in the air force as well as the navy. Those two are the main branches that really needed a lot of help.

Then there is the issue of the US through the peace treaty military financial aid and the VERY WELL KNOWN story about the US not supplying Egypt's 4th largest fleet of F-16s in the world the AIM-120 missile and only an upgrade of the entire fleet of under block 40 Falcons to be brought up to blck 40 standards but still, no approval for the AIM-120 despite having the AIM-7M which has a 70 km range instead of the AIM-120's 100+. So the high-end BVR missiles being denied to Egypt (and much of it is also Egypt's fault as we've discussed that on this thread to be fair, they could've done a lot to get the approval of the missiles and one of the main things was signing the CISMOA act which Egypt refused to do so for the longest time until a few years ago. That would've eased the US' mind about approving the missiles because the CISMOA is essentially what guarantees and protects and regulates the use of sensitive American avionics and communications systems. Refusing to sign that treaty was very strange to many of us. We couldn't understand why since it would only help and not hurt in any way since they eventually did sign it!?) so that aspect was high on the list to go get along with the modernization.

The other reason was a new policy to not depend on only one or two sources of weapons (and their weaponry) and to expand that. So the first thing was a whammy when the 2 Mistrals became available and Egypt had been looking at Rafales since 2009 and suddenly, that mega deal comes to fruition including the FREMM frigate and the 4 Gowinds. Then the 4 Romeo submarines needed a major upgrade and who else to go to but the Germans for 4 Type 209s. Then the Rafale was so liked by the EAF (we can also see how much it's been liked by India as well) that we had an option for 12 more over the 24 we bought and went to execute that option and ran into snags with the French on financing. So that came to an end. In the meantime, we had already agreed with the Russians that all our MiG-21s and F-7 Airguards needed to be replaced and so we went to buy 50 MiG-35s. So that's where those came from and of course, the whole time we had in mind for some air superiority aircraft and so the Su-35 deal was signed. With those 2 aircraft gave the EAF some serious BVR capabilities to add to the MICA IR & ER in the R-77 & R-73. This was also something that was discussed back in 2011, so it's not a surprise.

With the snag on the Rafale came a snag with the additional navy equipment namely the additional FREMM frigate we wanted as well as another 4 Gowind corvettes on top of the original 4 we received. As a result, we talked to Italy for their FREMMs which are essentially a close variant of the French FREMM to keep things close as well as expanding the naval element by buying 6 Meko frigates from Germany and with the pair of Italian Bergamini Class FREMMs, a deal for 24 Typhoons came up and I personally think that because of their compatibility with the Rafales that they were agreed on to augment that variant of fighters in the EAF as well as add to the MICA BVR missiles and the order of Meteor missile to get even more meteors.

As far as maintenance, the EAF hasn't had any difficulty maintaining US, French, Russian and Chinese aircraft in the past and so it shouldn't be an issue at all now with even newer aircraft that have easier maintenance routines to them. And the Rafale were easily and quickly absorbed by the EAF and their manitenance crews and with our previous Russian experience, the MiG-35s have also been easily absorbed and so will the Su-35s when they come InshaAllah. The Typhoon should also be a relatively seamless transition into the EAF (if that deal goes through) considering the similarity to the Rafale and my guess is those two will function as a single unit in missions and in technical aspects. So that's the jist of the whole different arms purchases.

EDIT: The 46 new helicopters (the Ka-52 Nile Crocodiles) was brought out of the need to expand the 46 Apache attack helos that the Armed Forces had but also because the Long Bow radar was denied to Egypt (also most likely because of the CISMOA treaty not being signed) and the Ka-52s also were a lead into the eventual Ka-52K Katrans which would be the naval helo to equip the Mistrals. That was born out of that entire deal since that was what the Russians were going to do with those 2 Mistrals and Egypt is just following that line of thinking because it works well to have that attack capability off the LHDs. But that could also change as things develop.

New photos of transit maritime training between the Egyptian frigate El Suez and the Spanish frigate Santa Maria in the Egyptian Southern Fleet in the Red Sea a few days ago.

EbW72RyXsAI-YZk

EbW74wBWoAAZqrp

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/joint/diplomacy-a-peace/egypt-signs-cismoa-communications-agreement/

Brothers ..... because of what you’re taking about.... I took a break from PDF for about 2 weeks without a single login ..... and now I’m ok :yahoo:

and ready for the next break :rofl:

Brothers ..... because of what you’re taking about.... I took a break from PDF for about 2 weeks without a single login ..... and now I’m ok :yahoo:

and ready for the next break :rofl:

Like I was telling the Indian fellas (whom BTW, are much nicer and for the most part treat Egyptians with a lot more respect around here) that I don't know how they do it. They take 10 times more the abuse than anyone else, yet they deal with it and handle it like gentlemen and move on.

Anyway, at least the Ethiopian dam issue should calm down a little around here and there won't be another 19 threads opened up wishing for 30% of Egyptians to die and then blame it on Sissi and not on that Ethiopian thug they have for a prime minister or whatever. But at least he came to his senses when he realized, Oh s**t, I could actually be the reason my country falls back another 100 years when those Rafales and MiGs start raining bombs all over Ethiopia with the help of Sudan and all the entire Arab world!!!!!!!!!! Crap, we better agree to talk! lol What a dickwad.

Back
Top Bottom