What's new

Egypt in negotiations for Su-35 and Mig-35?

Good to know, will look it up.

It just doesn't fit. Mechanised infantry usually use either soft skinned vehicles (J-8, Humvee etc.) with wire guided anti tank missiles attached to it or APC's with the same, we certainly have not seen any indication or move to induct LAVs with large caliber guns or LAVs for that matter, I think there is only one type in service, the BMR-600.

That must have not been a successful procurement since there was no repeat or move towards inducting other types or any indication of doing so, instead we are starting to see MRAPs pop up and talk of MRAVs being inducted. I'm pretty sure they will stick to IFVs or soft skinned vehicles carrying anti tank missiles than shifting towards dedicated anti tank platforms.

There is a growing move away from MBTs towards LAVs with large caliber guns, however, I still think MBTs will be absolutlely necessary in the future, its role has always been questioned (the tank that is) after every major conflict, however, it always seems to find a way to reassert itself.

Modularity brother, if that is even a word lol. Imagine a common platform (vehicle) that can replace all of those you mentioned above! How much that will save in coast and maintenance! It is possible and that is the future! I'm talking about a broader doctrine here. I have a question for you, are u based in Egypt or outside? If you don't mind me asking

Modularity brother, if that is even a word lol. Imagine a common platform (vehicle) that can replace all of those you mentioned above! How much that will save in coast and maintenance! It is possible and that is the future! I'm talking about a broader doctrine here. I have a question for you, are u based in Egypt or outside? If you don't mind me asking

plus Egypt has over 250 BMR-600s if I remember correctly, I think those are more than enough and they must have been very useful to Egypt otherwise they won't have bought so many!!

Modularity brother, if that is even a word lol. Imagine a common platform (vehicle) that can replace all of those you mentioned above! How much that will save in coast and maintenance! It is possible and that is the future! I'm talking about a broader doctrine here.

That is what I meant by the last paragraph, the US is already looking at the Ground Combat Vehicle as a one shoe fits all solution. It could be ingenious or it could be a mistake, I certainly would not want to be mounted in one of those against a
fully fledged MBT, time will tell, but the tank isn't dead yet for a long while.

Plus Egypt is not looking at anything close to that solution, in fact the opposite is happening with the acquisition of more MBTs.

I have a question for you, are u based in Egypt or outside? If you don't mind me asking

I'm in the UK. Second generation Egyptian Brit.

That is what I meant by the last paragraph, the US is already looking at the Ground Combat Vehicle as a one shoe fits all solution. It could be ingenious or it could be a mistake, I certainly would not want to be mounted in one of those against a
fully fledged MBT, time will tell, but the tank isn't dead yet for a long while.

Plus Egypt is not looking at anything close to that solution, in fact the opposite is happening with the acquisition of more MBTs.

I'm in the UK. Second generation Egyptian Brit.

I think it is definitely the way of the future! So you are in England, I can tell from your English, I might actually be in London in like a month or two, not sure yet, if I do and you are in London or close by I'd like to meet you in person for a coffee or something, if you have the time ofcourse.

I think it is definitely the way of the future! So you are in England, I can tell from your English, I might actually be in London in like a month or two, not sure yet, if I do and you are in London or close by I'd like to meet you in person for a coffee or something, if you have the time ofcourse.

But,but, tanks just look so cool :cry:

Thank's for the offer but I like to keep my internet activities and my personal life separate, both for general security reasons and personal privacy. I'm sure I can make it up to you some other way though?

But,but, tanks just look so cool :cry:

Thank's for the offer but I like to keep my internet activities and my personal life separate, both for general security reasons and personal privacy. I'm sure I can make it up to you some other way though?

lol touche my friend! It cool bro, I just enjoy talking to you, not so many people I know are as knowledgeable.

And yes, MBTs are cool, but they are also expensive and heavy! And modern Anti-tank missiles are very effective, it is turning into a cat and mouse game, more armor, counter-measures, heavier weight, more coast,...etc and I think the definitive proof it all just doesn't work is what happened to the Israelis in Lebanon in 2006, and that was just with ATGMs, older ones if you will! Look, the crews inside the tanks are not any safer cause of the thick skin of the MBT compared to lets say the light tank-killer, it is the truth, then why waste time and money on it? If we can have, like you put it, a one shoe fits all concept, then lets go for it, especially with a cash-strapped country like Egypt! They can manufacture such a vehicle locally, they have the technology and the means! its the future man, I'm sorry but the MBT is an old concept, and when it came out there were no ATGMs, Attack helicopters,....etc. Time to rethink all of it, especially for a military like that of Egypt, thats my own humble opinion.

Well if Egypt gets 4 squadron of Mig-35 man that would be really awesome it would be huge boost to your Air Force by they way some of your Frigates are too old What new ships you are going to get in next let say 8 years

Egypt should instead joins in JF-17 program whether by buying 50% stake from China as its cheap and has bigger room for upgrades.

I saw it in a video, it had Egyptian numbers and markings and was flying a small Egyptian flag, quality of image isn't all that great but you can see the markings. Jane's defense indicates that the Egypt does operate the Centauro in a reconnaissance role!

Interesting though saying it doesn't fit with our doctrine, how so? It comes with M68 (L7) 105 mm gun, same caliber as the one used on Egypt's M60s (A1s and A3s) and Ramses II tanks and also a 120 mm caliber as the one used on Egyptian M1A1s, so no problem with ammunition there, plus its cheaper and way more mobile that a MBT! lol sorry I'm a big supporter of such tank-killer systems, I believe they are the future.

Centauro: No mention of Egypt owning it!

Italian Army
  • 400 Centauro Reconnaissance Anti-Tank Variant (around 100 vehicles from the first batches retired)
  • 249 VBM Freccia (172 standard, 36 combat anti-tank, 20 command center and 21 mortar carrier on order)
  • 4 VBM Freccia Ambulance Variant
Spanish Army
  • 84 Centauro Reconnaissance Anti-Tank Variant
  • 4 VBM Freccia Recovery Variant
Royal Army of Oman
  • 6+3 Centauro 120 mm Variant (option for further 24)
US Army
  • Leased 16 Centauro between 2000 and 2002 for evaluation, and to gain experience for the introduction of the Stryker Mobile Gun System.[3]
B1 Centauro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Centauro01.JPEG

SU-35 is a definite yes, Egypt is going for the latest MIG 29 upgrade, which with an AESA radar is called MIG-35, I think they still can have that AESA radar or a readily available Russian AESA installed on the latest MIG-29.
The MIG 29 was conceived to face the F-15-16-18, The SU-35 is an air-superiority fighter, the same as the F-15.
There is an option for SU-34s and at least Egypt can go for the SU-30.

Egypt should head for the EF or the French Rafale.

No they are very costly and probably not as potent as Russian Jets except in avionics.

Egypt should go for any of these two, and the business will take care of itself :coffee:

The Eggys may also need to look into the Kilo class subs as well :police:

Hi

Nice to see you after a long time.

Centauro: No mention of Egypt owning it!

Italian Army
  • 400 Centauro Reconnaissance Anti-Tank Variant (around 100 vehicles from the first batches retired)
  • 249 VBM Freccia (172 standard, 36 combat anti-tank, 20 command center and 21 mortar carrier on order)
  • 4 VBM Freccia Ambulance Variant
Spanish Army
  • 84 Centauro Reconnaissance Anti-Tank Variant
  • 4 VBM Freccia Recovery Variant
Royal Army of Oman
  • 6+3 Centauro 120 mm Variant (option for further 24)
US Army
  • Leased 16 Centauro between 2000 and 2002 for evaluation, and to gain experience for the introduction of the Stryker Mobile Gun System.[3]
B1 Centauro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centauro01.JPEG

Yes, I know there is no mention of it BUT given the long history of secrecy of the Egyptian Armed Forces it is possible that they have it but there is no mention of it in open sources. Such was the case with the AMX jet and few other weapon systems, and like I mentioned it in my reply before, I've seen it in a promotional videos made by the Egyptian ministry of Defense and it had Egyptian markings on it, however I believe Janes Defense website says that Egypt has it and been operating it for years now. I have no access to the site now a days as I'm away from the USA, but I did in 2012 and I saw it on the website.

Excellent choice. Falls in egotism budget and are classy aircraft with proven edge.

Hopefully Mr. Sisi trains EAF pilots and makes them a strong force in Egypt

I didn't read the entire thread, but I kinda doubt that the Egyptian economy in its current state can afford to buy such advanced aircrafts. Nor will Israel let such a purchase happen ( They'll go cry to big daddy America and America will pressure to cancel the deal. If Russia is dead serious about the deal tho I don't think America can stop the purchase ).
All in all, would be super happy to have either of the aircraft in our inventory. Would be a huge change to finally have non-frikkin-American advanced aircrafts. If anything, I think the core of our aircraft ( in this case the F-16 ) should never be one that is supplied by the major ally of our worst enemy ( Israel ).

Back
Top Bottom