Dubai Police to use Google Glass

Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
May 20, 2014

69800842.jpg

1471367182.jpg

Lt Col Khalid Nasser Al Razooqi, E-Services Department, Dubai Police Head Quarters.

Dubai Police to use Google Glass
Creating 2 applications that can be used to fine motorists and track wanted vehicles

Dubai Police will soon use Google Glass to issue fines to errant motorists as well as identify wanted cars, said a senior police official.

The smart eyewear is currently under trial by Dubai Police Smart Services Department, for use by traffic police.

Google Glass is a small computer mounted onto glasses. It can take photos, record video, access the internet and give directions among other uses. It is compatible with both Android and iOS.

According to Google, It has a high-resolution display that is the equivalent of a 63.5cm high-definition screen from 2.4 metres away. The glasses feature a 5 megapixel camera.

Colonel Khalid Nasser Al Razooqi, General Director of Smart Services at Dubai Police, gave Gulf News a demonstration of how Google Glass would be used by the force.

Dubai Police’s Smart Services teams have created two applications to be used by their officers. “One will allow them to take photos of traffic violations from the Glass, which will go instantly into our system, and the other application helps identify wanted cars.”

Taking photos using Dubai Police’s Google Glass’ program is simple. The officer just needs to tap the side of the glass and the photo, in addition to the exact location, time and date is automatically sent to the system.

As for determining whether a car is wanted or not, Col Al Razooqi said that all the officer needs to do is look at number plates and the Glass will cross-reference the plates with the traffic department’s wanted vehicles database and alert him if any vehicle is wanted.

Both programs were developed by an in-house team from the Dubai Police smart services.

“We at Dubai Police always try to adopt what is new in the market and we like to stay up-to-date,” Col Al Razooqi said.

‘Useful device’

As Google Glass is one of the newest technologies, he said, they got it and tried to develop something on it and test it, so when it becomes available they can adopt it. “If it passes our testing criteria as well as we see that it is a useful device, then we might decide to launch it and buy more of it [Google Glass].”

He said that Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim, Deputy Chairman of Police and General Security in Dubai, and Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Dubai Police Chief, always encourage them to find and provide the latest technologies in the world, as well as find ways to make the public interact with Dubai Police.

He said their work aims to make Dubai Police stations smart, as well as have smart police officers

The Glass Explorer Programme, which allowed some people to be among the first to experience and test this new technology, was launched a year ago.

Google announced on April 10 on its Google Glass official Google+ account that on April 15, they were opening new spots in the Glass Explorer Program. “Any adult in the US can become an Explorer by visiting our site and purchasing Glass for $1,500 [Dh5,509] + tax.”

Google Glass is not available for sale anywhere outside the US. According to the same announcement, Google said “we’re just not ready yet to bring Glass to other countries.”

Dubai Police to use Google Glass | GulfNews.com

Makes sense!!
There are many areas which are not radar covered and police would be able to catch the violators easily in such places with the help of google glass.
But then in the hands of an evil we might see the perils of this technology.:P

Makes sense!!
There are many areas which are not radar covered and police would be able to catch the violators easily in such places with the help of google glass.
But then in the hands of an evil we might see the perils of this technology.:P

The newly installed tower shaped radars can detect many offenses at a given time but not all features of it are currently being used. Some of the features are:

1) detect whether a vehicle is keeping a safe distance or not (tailgating)
2) detect whether the driver is wearing a seat belt or not
3) check the number plates of the vehicle and notify the authorities if it is wanted.
4) sudden lane changing

the concept is good ,and I believe must be accepted by all law enforcement agency , but the google glass itself ,well....

let just say the glass need some upgrade for not hindering the police operation .

The newly installed tower shaped radars can detect many offenses at a given time but not all features of it are currently being used. Some of the features are:

1) detect whether a vehicle is keeping a safe distance or not (tailgating)
2) detect whether the driver is wearing a seat belt or not
3) check the number plates of the vehicle and notify the authorities if it is wanted.
4) sudden lane changing

This my brother is a totalitarian state, not a safe one. Mark my words.

This my brother is a totalitarian state, not a safe one. Mark my words.

They won't do anything without statistics and study. It was required and hence the above. All this is for maintaining law and order on the streets.

Call the form of government whatever you want. What is measured is how the citizens get their rights from their governments.

I will support any form of government (democratic, dictatorship, totalitarian, one party, military rule) as long as it delivers the rights of the citizens without the citizens asking for it.

By the way despite of all the radars, numerous traffic safety campaigns every year, black point system for driving license holders, people still commit offenses specially speeding.

Woman owes Dh201,140 in Dubai traffic fines | GulfNews.com

Who's the woman with Dh200,000 driving fine in Dubai? - Emirates 24/7

Dubai’s worst drivers – and their millions in fines - Emirates 24/7

Last edited:
They won't do anything without statistics and study. It was required and hence the above. All this is for maintaining law and order on the streets.

Call the form of government whatever you want. What is measured is how the citizens get their rights from their governments.

I will support any form of government (democratic, dictatorship, totalitarian, one party, military rule) as long as it delivers the rights of the citizens without the citizens asking for it.

By the way despite of all the radars, numerous traffic safety campaigns every year, black point system for driving license holders, people still commit offenses specially speeding.

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

I have lived in UAE for quite sometime. My family resides there. Is neighbours with the Bhutto family in Dxb.

But this is over reaching in the guise of maintaining law and order. V for Vendetta stuff. This is how it happens.

I have lived in UAE for quite sometime. My family resides there. Is neighbours with the Bhutto family in Dxb.

But this is over reaching in the guise of maintaining law and order. V for Vendetta stuff. This is how it happens.

Everything is totalitarian one way or another. Out of all the much more major problems in the world this is what concerns you? To me, persecuting political opposition is worse.

As for the UAE, I've been there and it feels more lawless than most places I've been to. You can do whatever you want there. As long as it's got anything to do with a rebellion of some sort.

Everything is totalitarian one way or another. Out of all the much more major problems in the world this is what concerns you? To me, persecuting political opposition is worse.

As for the UAE, I've been there and it feels more lawless than most places I've been to. You can do whatever you want there. As long as it's got anything to do with a rebellion of some sort.

UAE is chieeeellllllll. Nice place, hot bitches, sun and sand. Life, but artificial. It seems so. US is more au natural compared.

UAE is chieeeellllllll. Nice place, hot bitches, sun and sand. Life, but artificial. It seems so. US is more au natural compared.

You're right about that, the lifestyle is empty unless you go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Although the artificial life there gets boring after like a few days.

Been to Dubai a couple of times, not a single hot bitch was found. Many beautiful women, but an alarming lack of skin exposure.

Abide by the law and you are fine, don't abide by the law then you are in trouble. It is plain and simple.

As an example any telephone operator in any country can track a user upto a couple of meters whether you like or not and that also without asking your permission.

Now what do you say about this:

No SIM to be activated without biometric identification after July 31

I see it as a good move

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom