What's new

Dubai Police to use Google Glass

Abide by the law and you are fine, don't abide by the law then you are in trouble. It is plain and simple.

As an example any telephone operator in any country can track a user upto a couple of meters whether you like or not and that also without asking your permission.

Now what do you say about this:

No SIM to be activated without biometric identification after July 31

I see it as a good move

This isnt telephony, this is going to be misused. The premise of doing wrong or not is invalid here. I am not going to do wrong but i do not want to be monitored 24/7.

October 26, 2014

3326649866.jpg

Google glass used by Dubai police

Dubai traffic violators to be fined with Google Glass
Dubai Police use Google Glass as part of strategy to use the latest technology to curb traffic violations

Traffic patrol officers have begun using Google Glass to issue fines and record traffic violations.

“In our continuous effort to adopt the latest technology to help us curb traffic and reduce violations we have begun using Google Glass,” Col Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Director of Dubai Traffic Police, said.

“The smart glasses are equipped with a camera and directly linked to our operations room,” he said, “Officers who are at the scene of an accident can send live feed and record both major and minor violations.”

Col Al Mazroui said that the glasses can also identify vehicles wanted by the police.

“An officer can simply scan the number plate of a car and access all of its police records,” he said. “Since the glasses are connected to our operations room and databases, wanted cars can be instantly identified.”

Captain Saadi Hassan Ahmad Jasem, Director of the Quality Assurance Office at the General Department of Smart Services, had earlier said that Dubai Police were the first government entity in the UAE to use Google Glass.

“The plan is that every traffic patrol officer will have a Google Glass,” Captain Jasem said.

Recently, Dubai Police had also announced that they have made it possible for members of the public who own Google Glass to use it to report traffic violations through the “We are all Police” Dubai Police app.

Dubai traffic violators to be fined with Google Glass | GulfNews.com

How effective are those Google Glasses? I have never tried them so don't know. How about the price per pair?

Anyway traffic safety (more likely traffic fatalities due to reckless driving and not bad roads) is really horrible overall in quite a few Arab countries and if this can help that then that's good.

I believe that other measures have to take place as well before achieving the necessary success. KSA has some of the best highways in the world yet it's the people that are the problem and the way they drive. It pisses me off. Law and order should rule not reckless driving.

What do you say @Al Bhatti

Last edited:
How effective are those Google Glasses? I have never tried them so don't know. How about the price per pair?

Anyway traffic safety (more likely traffic fatalities due to reckless driving and not bad roads) is really horrible overall in quite a few Arab countries and if this can help that then that's good.

I believe that other measures have to take place as well before achieving the necessary success. KSA has some of the best highways in the world yet it's the people that are the problem and the way they drive. It pisses me off. Law and order should rule not reckless driving.

What do you say @Al Bhatti

I have not tried them and I don't think I would not want to try as well, I am not a tech savy person, quiet old fashioned.

The price is between AED 6000 to 10000, Virgin mega store in Dubai is selling at around 10000.

Google Glass went on sale in the UAE last week, but with a price tag of Dh10,000 | The National

In UAE the authorities are trying their best to increase the road safety awareness but the problem in a place like Dubai in specific and UAE in general where you people from all nationalities of the world and then all of them drive according to their driving culture and attitude back in their home. So you imagine the issues the traffic authorities face.

As for catching the violators the authorities are becoming more and more innovative: :D

-----

Around 100 tickets have been issued to violators caught with the help of the Abu Dhabi Police’s traffic monitoring helicopters from September 12 to 30.

Complete with infrared and night vision cameras, the Air Patrol choppers caught those not maintaining a safe distance between vehicles, not staying within their lane and drivers travelling beyond the yellow line.

Officials said that the recently introduced helicopters are also used to locate places facing congestion to assist patrols in easing traffic flow in those areas. The choppers are also on the lookout for vehicles travelling without a licence plate or carrying fake ones, and they monitor the capital’s streets day and night.

Any dangerous stunts such as drifting using vehicles or motorcycles will be filmed. Violators will face prosecution and their vehicles will be confiscated as these activities may lead to injuries and even deaths, the Abu Dhabi Police said.

Abu Dhabi: 100 tickets issued to violators in September by Police Air Patrol | GulfNews.com

-----

In Dubai the authorities are currently working on drones fitted with speed cameras to catch violators, it is still in testing stages :D

Last edited:
ahh, finally something that will let them see through the burkas

ahh, finally something that will let them see through the burkas

Nobody is wearing burqas in UAE. Burqa is not even an Arab word and that kind of headscarfs are worn in Central Asia, Afghanistan, Pashtun areas of Pakistan and parts of Iran. The most conservative dress in UAE is a niqab but it is not worn by many. UAE is a liberal country on many fronts. You obviously have no clue about the country.

The UAE is home to some of the biggest night life in the world. I don't think that those officers need any glasses to look at women dressed in revealing clothing.

I have not tried them and I don't think I would not want to try as well, I am not a tech savy person, quiet old fashioned.

The price is between AED 6000 to 10000, Virgin mega store in Dubai is selling at around 10000.

Google Glass went on sale in the UAE last week, but with a price tag of Dh10,000 | The National

In UAE the authorities are trying their best to increase the road safety awareness but the problem in a place like Dubai in specific and UAE in general where you people from all nationalities of the world and then all of them drive according to their driving culture and attitude back in their home. So you imagine the issues the traffic authorities face.

As for catching the violators the authorities are becoming more and more innovative: :D

-----

Around 100 tickets have been issued to violators caught with the help of the Abu Dhabi Police’s traffic monitoring helicopters from September 12 to 30.

Complete with infrared and night vision cameras, the Air Patrol choppers caught those not maintaining a safe distance between vehicles, not staying within their lane and drivers travelling beyond the yellow line.

Officials said that the recently introduced helicopters are also used to locate places facing congestion to assist patrols in easing traffic flow in those areas. The choppers are also on the lookout for vehicles travelling without a licence plate or carrying fake ones, and they monitor the capital’s streets day and night.

Any dangerous stunts such as drifting using vehicles or motorcycles will be filmed. Violators will face prosecution and their vehicles will be confiscated as these activities may lead to injuries and even deaths, the Abu Dhabi Police said.

Abu Dhabi: 100 tickets issued to violators in September by Police Air Patrol | GulfNews.com

-----

In Dubai the authorities are currently working on drones fitted with speed cameras to catch violators, it is still in testing stages :D

Great. Exactly. In the GCC the problem is the diversity of people in this case. Because the roads are world class. At least in KSA. While the problem in many other Arab countries are the state of the roads combined with recklessness.

We need something similar in KSA but I am afraid that half of the highways would be empty if fully implemented.:lol:

Nobody is wearing burqas in UAE. Burqa is not even an Arab word and that kind of headscarfs are worn in Central Asia, Afghanistan, Pashtun areas of Pakistan and parts of Iran. The most conservative dress in UAE is a niqab but it is not worn by many. UAE is a liberal country on many fronts. You obviously have no clue about the country.

The UAE is home to some of the biggest night life in the world. I don't think that those officers need any glasses to look at women dressed in revealing clothing.
i know, it was a joke. google glasses can't see through clothes either ;)

Back
Top Bottom