What's new

Drunkard Chinese cop named martyr' after death

haawk

BANNED
Reaction score

Beijing: Though he did not die giving a hot chase to getaway robbers or stopping lawbreakers, yet a Chinese traffic police officer was named a 'martyr' after dying due to heavy drinking at a banquet.

Chen Lusheng, a police sergeant in Shenzhen traffic police in Guangdong Province in southern China was deemed to have died a martyr "in the line of duty" after he was made to attend a banquet by senior party officials for his ability to hold his liquor, the China Daily reported.

Chen became the target of his hosts who repeatedly asked him to "genbei" or "bottoms up" as toast after toast were raised, the report said. The officer was off-duty when he was invited to a drink- binge. Chen vomited and passed out on a couch and suffocated.

He later died in hospital. His death touched panic among his party official hosts who decided to make him a martyr, in an apparent attempt to meet his family's demand for more compensation. The daily said after being pressurised by his family the police designated Chen a martyr, so that his family was illegible for a compensation of upto yuan 650,000 (USD 95,000) in compensation, almost double the amount he would have got on death as a working sergeant.

The newspaper said the family is demanding at least yuan 4.8 million (USD 700,000) and has set up a mourning hall at the police station to pressurise the department.

Chen's death is not an isolated case, a large number of officers including senior functionaries have died from excessive drinking at official functions.

Heavy drinking at business and government functions is almost mandatory in many parts of China. Many of these state banquets in honour of visiting dignitaries are covered by government funds. A senior Communist party official died in November in eastern Anhui province after drinking heavily at a state banquet, while entertaining a visiting business delegation.

lol wow, I am sure people will ask for neutral link.

What is the problem with Indian members ?? Can't they understand english properly or what ???

The section says:

Pakistan Affairs
Discussions related to Geo-Political and current affairs of Pakistan.

How hard it is to understand this simple above thing that this section is news related to PAKISTAN, so what the hell a Chinese related article gets posted here ??

All day long and nearly each day, multiple threads with nothing to do with Pakistan, gets posted on this section by Indian members.

Hope you guys understand this and start posting in the right section.

Thread being moved.

lol wow, I am sure people will ask for neutral link.

lol. it's really a funny story though it has nothing to do with China defence. i believe this should be a true story as this kind of things happened before. But i guess this is the first time martyr was honored thus became a hot news even reported by China Daily(the article mentioned China Daily reported it). i think the local police head is in big trouble now.:rofl:

well, it's offtopic but, if you wanna know what is likely the biggest change in Chinese political life, it is the domestic popular opinion/observation throught internet, which is getting head in supervising officials. and that's today's China.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom