What's new

Dr. A.Q. Khan Exposes the MYTH of Thar Coal and Riko Diq

Waffen SS

BANNED
Reaction score
Projects we cannot handle

Daily News, Monday, January 24, 2011

Dr A Q Khan

I am writing this column after serious consideration and hesitation. It is not meant in any way to hurt anyone’s feelings. However, since the matter under discussion is of vital national importance, I consider it a duty to inform the rulers and the public of the finer points of what I am going to discuss. The topics are the ongoing controversy and discussions about the Reko Diq mines and concessions to foreign firms for the extraction of gold and copper, the Thar Coal Project and production of power by nuclear reactors.

The Thar Coal Project was, until recently, a hot topic. We probably all remember that we were promised 50,000 MW of power for 500 years, plus hundreds of thousands of barrels of diesel. There were claims that we had 185 billion tons of coal reserves, while reliable estimates put this figure at only three billion tons, and that too of low grade. That balloon burst quite quickly. I wrote factual details in my column on the subject in Jang and The News on Nov 1, 2010. In that column I also disclosed how our able former foreign secretary, my dear friend Riaz Mohammad Khan, had worked hard to arrange a deal with one of the largest coalmining and -processing companies of the world, Shenhua Group of China. The company was willing to provide electricity at 5.39 cents per unit and had committed to providing four power plants of 325 MW each, by 2010. However, since there was no commission involved, the deal was sabotaged. Riaz Khan is still annoyed and angry at the loss of that opportunity.

Shenhua employs about 170,000 people and produces thousands of megawatts of power. It not only mines about 350 million tons of coal per annum but also converts it into gas and liquid fuel. It has put up plants in Mongolia, Indonesia and Australia. The plant in coal-rich Mongolia is functioning since 2008. It not only has the manpower, money, equipment and extensive experience required, but it would also be very reliable because of our exemplary relations with China.

Since I have studied metallurgical engineering at some of the best universities of the world and have 40 years’ experience in this field (as well as that of nuclear technology), I am in a position to write extensive, detailed articles on coalmining, coal varieties and coal’s conversion into gas and liquid. I can say with authority that we do not have experienced and qualified engineers to handle such a complicated, giant project, to say nothing of my having had to cope with those who indulge in self-projection though they don’t have fundamental knowledge or qualifications in the required field.

In my earlier column of Nov 1 I had mentioned the statements made by Dr Ansar Parvez, chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) in Vienna in which he claimed that 8,080 MW of power could be produced by 2030. In order for that to be produced, either 29 reactors of 300 MW each or ten reactors of 900 MW each would be required. A 300-MW reactor costs about $1 billion and requires eight to ten years for commissioning. A 900-MW reactor would naturally cost proportionately more and would take the same time, if not longer, to commission. I am at a loss to see how Dr Parvez aims to achieve this.

The PAEC has existed for more than 50 years and employs almost 20,000 people, but it has not been able to make a single power reactor, even of a small size. This is despite the fact that the technology itself is half-a-century old, and India and South Korea are among countries which have been producing reactors for years. The one at Karachi was supplied by Canada and the two at Chashma by China.

In 1979 the-then chairman of the PAEC, Munir Ahmad Khan, had made similar claims. At that time it was said that the PAEC would commission one reactor every year from 1980 onwards until the year 2000, thus producing 20 reactors in total!

Whether we are talking about the Thar Coal Project, the Reko Diq Project or any other major project, we need young, experienced, highly committed engineers with the proper educational background. It is an extremely difficult and lengthy process and the team leaders and engineers will have to make it their life’s work to complete the project.

The Pakistani rulers and public alike seem to be under the impression that, since we managed to produce nuclear weapons and missiles, we can now achieve miracles. Those were totally different projects. As far as the nuclear programme is concerned, I had invaluable practical experience and had the required educational qualifications. My team and I were all highly committed to the goal of making the project a success. We believed that Pakistan’s very existence would be at stake if we did not complete the nuclear programme successfully.

Another important factor was the role played by personalities like Mr Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Gen Ziaul Haq, Mr Ghulam Ishaq Khan, Mr Agha Shahi, Gen Khalid Mahmud Arif, who was vice chief of the army staff at that time, Gen Mirza Aslam Beg and Gen Abdul Wahid Kakar. All were sincere in their commitment. The necessary funds (about $25 million per year) were provided to us, as were all facilities required by the programme.

Such conditions are now non-existent. We now have corrupt, selfish people at the helm of affairs. We have only to look at the glaring examples of PIA and Pakistan Steel.

If important projects like those mentioned above are given to Pakistanis, they will become yet more PIAs and Pakistan Steel Mills. Nepotism, overstaffing with unqualified and inexperienced people, overabundance of persons of official cadre, fleets of land cruisers – you name it, it will be there. We have all heard details about the corruption related to the Agosta Submarine. Not only the fish’s head, but the whole body is rotten.

The present government, or any that may follow, will never be able to provide enough funds to keep such projects going. An initial investment of hundreds of millions of dollars will be required with little to show for it in the beginning. The projects will drag on and the poor people will see gold, copper and electricity only in their dreams. Looters will have a heyday and they will walk off with filled pockets. In a country where officials cannot even build, complete and maintain schools, colleges and hospitals, how can one expect miracles?

So what is the solution for Thar? My sincere and considered advice is to give the Thar Coal Project to Shenhua. Sort out terms and conditions that are mutually beneficial and acceptable. The Chinese are our trusted friends and they will be more than accommodating. Regarding the Reko Diq projects, either discuss acceptable, beneficial terms and conditions with the present companies or find others which can offer attractive terms and conditions. If the earlier terms and conditions set were detrimental to us, it was our fault that we accepted them, in the first place; the foreign firms are not to blame. More often than not, our own people indulge in corruption at the cost of national interests. Haven’t we got the examples of the IPPs and the RPPs?

Our financial wizards who signed the deal for F-16s had, for reasons best known only to them (money?), agreed to pay the company for the storage of the planes. We paid hundreds of millions of dollars as advance payment and the planes were ready, but we still paid millions more. If the deal for Reko Diq is faulty, hold the negotiators and the signatories responsible, not the foreign firm. It was our duty to safeguard and protect our national interests. However, such contracts are for mutual benefit – a question of give-and-take.

I am very much afraid that if we take the bait and try to do the job ourselves, gold, copper, gas and electricity will be but a mirage in the distance, with sand, rocks and bushes remaining the reality. The Pakistan Engineering Council, the Institute of Engineers and the Pakistan Academy of Sciences could all help in the negotiations, if need be. Riaz Mohammad Khan would still be our best bet to help in negotiations with Shenhua. I would assist him with great pleasure, if requested.

Email: ali4drkhan@gmail.com

Last edited:
For those who want the same article in Urdu.

col1.gif

col1a.gif

The higher authorities of PIA and Pakistan steel mills should be kicked out ,we are a nation strapped by these corrupt leaders ,surrounding us from everywhere.

the problem is we elect such spineless/gutless/corrupt/rotten to the core rulers ... until we stop that this will go on forever

This has been well known, the way Pakistan Projects itself that it will become more energy efficient in next 20 years by generating 10 to 15 % of energy from nuclear power is an over optimistic desire.

Given Pakistan's repeated claims against international experts, no sign of required holistic approach to develop Indigenous nuclear energy program is visible.

Apart from improving dysfunctional state of affairs (which few Pakistani posters are ranting, not me) the need to invest in R&D, skill and expertise is highly desirable. Getting reactors from foreign sources under strict opposition by many nations including India and given her alleged reputation (Islamic bomb/more number than India/developing more nukes et al) the peaceful use of this particular energy is getting a beating.

Pakistan has to chose between security state or social state ASAP. Being friendly with India would be a starter.

I hope people will understand what i am trying to say. Pakistan may be able to find alternatives or do some short cuts to match others but investing in nuclear energy is not only going to generate electricity but thousands of very own new technologies Pakistan may be able gain experience in. Overall it will bring Pakistan to a better level of this age.

I respectfully disagree with the article and am disappointed that Dr. A Q Khan cannot help but take a cheap shot at all the other scientists.

He is again trying to portray PAEC as a non entity which actually has done a lot for Pakistan, his personal bias against the other scientists and his tendency to always portray himself as the sole reason of our technological advancement is now becoming very annoying to me.

Pakistan successfully mined Uranium for its Nuclear program without any such firms helping us since it was taboo to support Pakistan's nuclear program.
Necessity was the mother of invention in that particular case and the good doctor is forgetting it now.
Now we absolutely need to be in control of our gold mining and extraction,we should control the project more actively and pay for any services which we cannot carry out in house; instead of granting a significant percentage of the mined gold and copper to the foreign companies which shall take home much more than they deserve.
This project needs to be managed and supervised in house and not controlled by foreign companies.

When A Q Khan flaunts his own genius as the sole reason of our Nuclear program he forgets that it was also a huge project and needed contribution and collective genius of many scientists, engineers, technicians and various other staff.
Nuclear technology was a closely guarded secret however mining and extraction is not exactly the same and we can seek better terms and engage many other companies if need be to assist us in this regards, on OUR TERMS!
For Pakistan to review the deals which were signed below the radar in order to ensure that we are not wasting our money and resources is a logical thing to do and should not be opposed so vehemently.

Coming to Thar project.
Instead of letting it hang in limbo as it has been, the initiative by our scientists to try and do things in house is something that i personally appreciate.
You can engage the Chinese firm in parallel since there are many blocks of the coal deposits which can be worked upon by different entities at the same time, but to not try ourselves is also criminal.
Underground coal gasification allows usage of coal reserves that are not economically recoverable by other technologies so it is not something that should not be studied and tested in order to fully utilize the reserves.

I would rather have us try and fail instead of not trying at all.

Last edited:
AQKhan has always been projecting himself.
He portrays himself as the only responsible for our nuclear program which is untrue. He has played an important role but not the only one.
He has a very big mouth which should be gagged.
He may easily become a security risk because of his loose tongue, which he has failed to control in the past also.

I respectfully disagree with the article and am disappointed that Dr. A Q Khan cannot help but take a cheap shot at all the other scientists.

He is again trying to portray PAEC as a non entity which actually has done a lot for Pakistan, his personal bias against the other scientists and his tendency to always portray himself as the sole reason of our technological advancement is now becoming very annoying to me.

Pakistan successfully mined Uranium for its Nuclear program without any such firms helping us since it was taboo to support Pakistan's nuclear program.
Necessity was the mother of invention in that particular case and the good doctor is forgetting it now.

Khan has a tendency to be very eccentric. But I respect that. Great people should be allowed to be eccentric. It is generally agreed that the most difficult part of making the bomb is getting the weapon grade U. Khan filled this important piece of puzzle for Pakistan. In that way IMO he should get due credit.

Here he does not contradict your statement about Pakistan's indigenoues U production(though he accepts the credit for it on behalf on his team).

WRT his comments on the coal mines of Pakistan, I am inclined to believe him. Do you think USA or China for that matter would have ignored 175 bil tonnes of coal reserves especially froma friendly country? Seriously they would buy coal from Australia and not from Pakistaan?!! This figure was given by some official who wants to get the spotlight in his career time, undeserved spotlight.

I am not sure about his comments about the present PAEC though. May be theey are trying to achieve 8k MW with outside help. I heard that China is building 1k MW reactor for Pakistan. Here again I believe he knows better.

The reason for prejudice of people like you is Khan's addition of tidbits of personal offers and suggestions at the end of his articles. You guys start of with the assumption that he sold Pakistan's property for moeny.

But I believe he is a true hero of Pakistan, in a greater way because he did not let out his country's name on the scandal that followed. If he is a little too proud about it, I wouldn't mind since he has done his job.

Khan has a tendency to be very eccentric. But I respect that. Great people should be allowed to be eccentric. It is generally agreed that the most difficult part of making the bomb is getting the weapon grade U. Khan filled this important piece of puzzle for Pakistan. In that way IMO he should get due credit.

Here he does not contradict your statement about Pakistan's indigenoues U production(though he accepts the credit for it on behalf on his team).

WRT his comments on the coal mines of Pakistan, I am inclined to believe him. Do you think USA or China for that matter would have ignored 175 bil tonnes of coal reserves especially froma friendly country? Seriously they would buy coal from Australia and not from Pakistaan?!! This figure was given by some official who wants to get the spotlight in his career time, undeserved spotlight.

I am not sure about his comments about the present PAEC though. May be theey are trying to achieve 8k MW with outside help. I heard that China is building 1k MW reactor for Pakistan. Here again I believe he knows better.

The reason for prejudice of people like you is Khan's addition of tidbits of personal offers and suggestions at the end of his articles. You guys start of with the assumption that he sold Pakistan's property for moeny.

But I believe he is a true hero of Pakistan, in a greater way because he did not let out his country's name on the scandal that followed. If he is a little too proud about it, I wouldn't mind since he has done his job.

I respect his contribution but not at the cost of others, especially since he was one part of the whole.
He has a history of claiming credit for the whole and that does not sit down well with me.

I am not the one showing any prejudice over here nor is my anger directed at any Pakistani property i assume that he may have sold.
My anger is directed towards his established practice of taking a shot at PAEC on every possible occasion which was actually the umbrella organization responsible for the whole and not a part.
Taking credit away from PAEC is a cheap thing to do.
They set up all the research facilities including the one at Kahuta.

The coal reserves are quite significant but are not of the best quality so we shall be better off in finding a cheap solution to use them for energy generation with minimum wastage.
In this regards coal gasification is a logical approach and sits down well with me.

Negotiations with Chinese can and should be redone in parallel but these did not fail due to the Pakistani Scientists but other factors.
However this should not stop efforts of in-house development!
For Pakistan to carry out a pilot project for gaining in-house expertise by utilizing its scientific elite is a progressive step which should be appreciated as a critical milestone we have to achieve for gaining confidence and self sufficiency.

Last edited:
Foreign firms can be employed to do the task ONLY if we also get the technology transfer with the offer... We need to become self sufficient in all areas and if a company is willing to do this be it Chinese or French we can use them...

Its pointless to employ someone only to have a need to employ someone from abroad again for a similar project...

I do agree with his point that with a corrupt leadership at the helm, the poor people will continue to suffer and the blessings of this wealth will never trickle down to the people of Pakistan... To say the same for other scientists however is pathetic and lame... We have good people amongst us and they should all be allowed to contribute to our progress... Enough with leg pulling...

WaffenSS.. Dude, you do realize the Waffen SS would have executed you, right?

AQ Khan is at constant rivalry with PAEC staff especially Dr Munir Khan and Dr Samar Mubarakmand and the articles denotes the same critisizm tone..he forgets to mention that economical offset of four wars and WoT on PAEC plan despite the institute being 40 years old itself. And the technical co-op of Pakistani scientist to some of the world most renowned scientific projects where out man power has shined better than China and India.

Back
Top Bottom