What's new

Dr. A.Q. Khan Exposes the MYTH of Thar Coal and Riko Diq

AQ Khan is at constant rivalry with PAEC staff especially Dr Munir Khan and Dr Samar Mubarakmand and the articles denotes the same critisizm tone..
strongly agreed to this
DR AQ Khan always take the credit of making Pakistan a nuclear power
but this is a fact that before he comes to play
all uranium mining and enrichment had been done
PAEC Scientists specially Dr Samar Mubarakmand and Dr Riaz had played a great role in doing this

None of my business, but one would think one of the most prominent people and scientist in Pakistan would have bit more trust in his own people. He talks like after him people stopped getting education and expertise. Almost seems like Shenhuan Coal paid him to write this article.

No country should ever leave its natural resources, specially the size of Riko diq and Thar Coal in the hands of foreign companies. Surely Pakistan has been operating several mining operations on its own for many years?

Even here in Australia, whenever Chinese companies try to buy out major shares of any Australian mines, theres a very strong opposition and most of the sales don't go through.

In my opinion Pakistan should try and mine these resources on its own. Get help from consultants from top companies in the world and develop the mines . In the mean time Pakistan government could tie up with some top notch university and start training a pool of Pakistani engineers and scientists. By the time the mines will be ready for production and come online, well trained Pakistani engineers should be ready to take care of the operations and production. :cheers:

I respect his contribution but not at the cost of others, especially since he was one part of the whole.
He has a history of claiming credit for the whole and that does not sit down well with me.

I am not the one showing any prejudice over here nor is my anger directed at any Pakistani property i assume that he may have sold.
My anger is directed towards his established practice of taking a shot at PAEC on every possible occasion which was actually the umbrella organization responsible for the whole and not a part.
Taking credit away from PAEC is a cheap thing to do.
They set up all the research facilities including the one at Kahuta.

The coal reserves are quite significant but are not of the best quality so we shall be better off in finding a cheap solution to use them for energy generation with minimum wastage.
In this regards coal gasification is a logical approach and sits down well with me.

Negotiations with Chinese can and should be redone in parallel but these did not fail due to the Pakistani Scientists but other factors.
However this should not stop efforts of in-house development!
For Pakistan to carry out a pilot project for gaining in-house expertise by utilizing its scientific elite is a progressive step which should be appreciated as a critical milestone we have to achieve for gaining confidence and self sufficiency.

As I mentioned earlier I don't know much about PAEC itself. AFAIK Khan's is the single most successful project in Pakistan's enrichment efforts and much of this happened at the now Kahuta facility under his supervision. And if he wants to act like superman I would say let him. You just tell your children it was not a one man effort.
He does not take credit away from PAEC. He is criticizing it to make it better which is what all veterans do. Whether his criticism about the 8GW will hold or not, we can see only in the future. But his words deserve respect and GOP should ask its people whether its plans for energy are on track and whether the coal reserves can be confirmed.

strongly agreed to this
DR AQ Khan always take the credit of making Pakistan a nuclear power
but this is a fact that before he comes to play
all uranium mining and enrichment had been done
PAEC Scientists specially Dr Samar Mubarakmand and Dr Riaz had played a great role in doing this

AFAIK Pakistan was not even pursuing U tech, they were after Pu to make the bomb.

As I mentioned earlier I don't know much about PAEC itself. AFAIK Khan's is the single most successful project in Pakistan's enrichment efforts and much of this happened at the now Kahuta facility under his supervision. And if he wants to act like superman I would say let him. You just tell your children it was not a one man effort.
He does not take credit away from PAEC. He is criticizing it to make it better which is what all veterans do. Whether his criticism about the 8GW will hold or not, we can see only in the future. But his words deserve respect and GOP should ask its people whether its plans for energy are on track and whether the coal reserves can be confirmed.

Kahuta was just one project among at least 20 other projects that make up Pakistan's nuclear program. These were set up by the Chairman of PAEC, 1972-1991, Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan.

Kahuta was only one link in a long chain of projects under PAEC set up by Munir Khan that made uranium enrichment possible. These projects comprise the entire front end of the nuclear fuel cycle which included:

1. Several Uranium Exploration Sites.

2. Uranium Mining and Refining Project at Baghachur known as BC-1. This produces the yellow cake with 99% purity which is the ore needed for both uranium and plutonium routes to the bomb. It takes over 10,000 tons of mined and refined uranium for one bomb that uses highly enriched uranium, so you can imaging the scale of the effort.

3. Uranium oxide, tetrafluoride and hexafluoride production Complex known as Chemical Plants Complex, Dera Ghazi Khan. This Complex consists of seven independent plants that produce fluorine compounds and the highly toxic hydrofluoric acid to produce these uranium products on an industrial scale. The oxide is used to make nuclear fuel for the KANUPP and Khushab reactors, the tetrafluoride is used to make uranium metal and most importantly, the hexafluoride gas (UF6) is the feed material and the form in which uranium is passed through the centrifuges at Kahuta. CPC produces over 200 tons of UF6 annually for Kahuta without which no enrichment can be done and the gas-centrifuges will only be enriching air instead of uranium.

4. The Kahuta project itself was planned, launched and set up by PAEC manpower as early as Nov. 1974 under Sultan Bashir Mahmood. Much of the critical equipment and materials for the project has been imported and put in place by PAEC before A Q Khan joined the project. The vast majority of the scientists and engineers for the project came from PAEC, and the physical infrastructure for the first two centrifuge facilities at Chaklala and Sihala were set up by PAEC where most the breakthroughs in centrifuge R&D took place. The most important scientists in this effort were Anwar Ali and Dr. G D Alam. The Kahuta site had also been selected in January 1976 by PAEC. The project was first taken over by A Q Khan in July 1976 when he renamed it ERL, but it remained under PAEC until after Zia came to power whereafter the project was separated from PAEC but placed under a Board in which the Chairman PAEC was a Member.

5. Uranium Metal Lab for converting the enriched uranium gas into metal and machining the metallic core as per the design of the bomb.

As for the plutonium route, the following facilities were set up by Munir Ahmad Khan.

1. In addition to BC-1 and CPC which produces the uranium oxide, a Nuclear Fuel Fabrication Complex was set up at Kundian.

2. A heavy water production plant under Dr. N A Javed, and a tritium production plant, and a 50-70 MW plutonium production reactor were set up at Khushab, under Sultan Bashir Mahmood.

3. A reprocessing plant for separating weapon-grade plutonium contained in the spent fuel of Khushab reactor

As for the nuclear weapons program, the following projects were set up by PAEC:

1. Theoretical Physics Group as early as Dec. 1972 with Dr. Riazuddin as its head.

2. The Directorate of Technical Development (DTD) in March 1974 under Mr. Hafeez Qureshi to coordinate the work of all the specialized groups working on the nuclear device. These groups included:

a. Fast Neutron Physics Group led by Dr. Samar Mubarakmand to produce the neutron source for the bomb.

b. Diagnostic Group to establish facilities for nuclear testing under Dr. Samar.

c. Chemical High Explosive or Wah Group to make the trigger mechanism for the bomb.

d. Precision Engineering and Trigger Electronics Groups for the manufacture and mating of the trigger mechanism with the fissile core, reflectors and high explosive lenses.

e. More then 50 cold test sites at Kirana Hills, Sargodha and six hot test sites at Chaghi and Kharan as early as 1980. It was here that PAEC carried out the first cold test of a working nuclear device as early as March 11, 1983 and then 24 more cold tests till 1992. It was PAEC that carried out the Chaghi and Kharan tests in 1998.

In addition several R&D labs were set up in PINSTECH which became the backbone of the nuclear program. These included the Applied Chemistry and Applied Physics Labs, Laser and Advanced Computer Labs. To provide trained manpower for all projects, a Centre for Nuclear Studies was set up in 1976 which is today a university known as PIEAS and is ranked the top engineering university in Pakistan.

On the nuclear power side, PAEC had, in 1973, along with IAEA's technical support, prepared a long-term energy security plan for Pakistan which called for setting up 24 nuclear power reactors by the end of the century. These were to be built with international assistance as Pakistan, like other developing countries, lacked the industrial base at that time and were hugely capital intensive projects.

However, India's 1974 test put sanctions on Pakistan even for peaceful technology as Pakistan was not ready to sign NPT and had to put all its resources into the nuclear weapons program. But PAEC did design and produce plutonium production reactors without any foreign help but the government did not provide it with the necessary funds for power reactor projects.

In March 1976, the ECNEC approved a 600 MW power reactor at Chashma, and this project could not be followed up due to the overthrow of the Zia regime which was naive about nuclear energy.

The breakthrough came in 1986 when PAEC signed a civil nuclear cooperation agreement with China which broke international sanctions against Pakistan for power reactors and opened the way for four 300 MW Chashma power reactors. In 1990, France promised to provide PAEC with a 900 MW power reactor, but again with the change of government in Islamabad, the deal could not materialize.

It took India ten years to complete a partially completed RAPS-II power reactor after the Canadians cut of assistance after India's 1974 test, inspite of India's elaborate industrial base. Even today countries like China and India are relying on western help in power reactor projects and that is justification put forward in the Indo-US nuclear deal.

So if the government and international support for power reactor projects does not materialize, the that is not PAEC's fault, which has consistently told the government that Pakistan must invest in nuclear energy. But then the priorities was clearly the nuclear weapons program and the opportunity cost was the energy program.

On the missile side, it was again PAEC that set up the National Development Complex, founded in 1990-91 and set up by 1993. Here Pakistan produced the solid fueled Shaheen series of missiles and is now producing several other ballistics and cruise missile systems under NESCOM.

Seems like most of us here wants to make Dr. Samar Mubarakmand - the Superhero. The savior of our energy crisis. No disrespect but can anyone educate me what experience does Dr Sab and his team has in the field of copper and gold mining. He is not above criticism, just because of his services to Pakistan nuclear program. I know I will be nuked but considering what happened in the past, I think Dr A Q Khan raised some pretty valid points.

Seems like most of us here wants to make Dr. Samar Mubarakmand - the Superhero. The savior of our energy crisis. No disrespect but can anyone educate me what experience does Dr Sab and his team has in the field of copper and gold mining. He is not above criticism, just because of his services to Pakistan nuclear program. I know I will be nuked but considering what happened in the past, I think Dr A Q Khan raised some pretty valid points.

Nobody wants to make Dr. Samar a superhero, but we want to give him and his colleagues a chance to do a pilot project.
He has not stopped any coal mining operation but rather proposed and pushed through a parallel alternate approach of using the coal for energy generation.
Coal gasification is a mature and stable technology to generate energy which ensures maximum usage of coal deposits.
Dr. Samar and colleagues have done a feasibility study after a year of detailed analysis and come up with this proposal.
They will run a pilot first to evaluate, so i see no reason to gun them down at all!!!
It is not like they have stopped government from doing anything else with the coal, there is plenty of it to go around.

Did we have extensive mining experience of Uranium?
It was the brilliant collective effort of our scientists, engineers and technicians which made it possible to ensure that we have a running supply.
To not give them a chance and run them down is criminal.

Munir Ahmad Khan was responsible for running everything including the division in which AQ Khan was stationed.
When the Karachi Nuclear power plant fuel was banned by Canada and everyone thought that Karachi would be without power soon, it was Munir Ahmad Khan who set up a nuclear fuel cycle program which resulted in indigenous fuel for the Nuclear power plant.

It was never a matter of capability for our scientists but a limitation on the amount of budget they were given to operate in.
PAEC can give you a lot more power plants but they have never been given such lavish funds.
Selling them short is what A Q Khan always does due to his personal rivalry and that is a petty minded thing to do.
Dr. Abdul Salam initiated a lot of scientific base in Pakistan and Munir Ahmad Khan took it to another level by initiating and running so many projects and research centers.
They are the fathers of our nuclear research.
The cold testing of all our nuclear devices was done by PAEC.
Chagi was developed by PAEC.
Some people remained away from their homes and families for nearly a decade to develop Chagi site for weapons testing, clearly there are a lot of unsung heroes in this tale of remarkable achievement by a nation with so much limitations.

Regarding Dr. Samar's knowledge, you need to educate yourself that he heads the umbrella organization under which the mining directorate would also fall.
He made it clear that the relevant expert scientists responsible for mining our Uranium can be used in the operation of mining gold and copper since the processes are similar.
Being the Head of the organization his claim carries a lot of weight and is absolutely logical since all he wants is more participation of Pakistani Scientists who have relevant experience.

I have never heard him claim that he is the only one who can do this and that (unlike another scientist who does this quite often), Dr. Samar only advocates the use of our brilliant scientists, engineers and technicians working in PAEC/NESC/KRL etc. in fields other than just nuclear or weapons development programs and this is the most sane suggestion i have heard in a long time.

These are trained people who have successfully managed very difficult projects and delivered results.
You need such people to be part of nation building projects of a scientific and technical nature.
The biggest weapon you can develop is your economy and science and technology facilitate your advancement in this regards.

Last edited:
AQ made mistakes, Samer made mistakes, -they both made mistakes born out of hideous circumstances. Enough said. This topic is not about their achievement but factual analysis’s on a mining project. the notion of “iss qaum mein bara talen hai" is nothing more than an emotional non-sense. Projects’ like these don’t run on big with talents, these project requires unlimited resources and people with proven expertise and track record which is unheard of in Pakistan. Our success rate in this field is nothing to write back home too. remember what happened with Saindak Copper Gold Project.

Even If agree with your assessment and positive thinking that we should initiate such projects on our own. Who will give us loan to build/run this project and on what kind of terms considering our outstanding bottom rock credit rating. Success factor can only be achieved through realistic thinking.

This is a clear dig at Dr Samar Mubarakmand without naming him. This is unfair slur on a very competent scientist.

Fireworks had been manufactured in China at least 500 years before someone thought about using the same mixture as a gun powder. You can’t have a nuke without weapons grade materials but that alone doesn’t make you a nuclear bomb. Uranium enrichment existed in the late thirties as first nuclear reactor (Enrico Fermi- Chicago pile 1) went critical in 1942. However it took Manhattan project team and J Robert Oppenheimer another 3 years to make a nuclear bomb.

Pakistani atomic bomb was a team effort. I have full respect for Dr AQ Khan but he has been darling of the media whereas contribution of Dr Samar Mubarakmand and his team has gone largely unnoticed. Dr AQ Khan is a metallurgist and metallurgists don't make atomic bombs, Samar Mubarakmand is a nuclear physicist and nuclear physicists are people most qualified to make nukes.

Now on Thar Coal project. Without getting carried away on euphoria (something which my fellow Pakistanis are in the habit of doing) please note that one of the most common problems in UCG is the presence of underground water. If there is too much water, underground fires won’t be able to burn for long as these will be doused by the underground water and the project will fail.

It should therefore be clearly understood that UCG project is a pilot project and is primarily meant to ‘PROVE’ whether the underground coal gasification will be successful in this particular instance or not? Only after it is proven that initial 100 MW pilot plant has been successfully working for a couple of months, can we hope that foreign investors will come and our expectations from this vast lignite deposits would be realized. AQ Khan is in error in assessing the total deposits. Lignite deposits in one bloc alone are almost two billion tons and this is about 2% of the field.

Dr AQ Khan is however quite correct in his support of the Shenhua. Thar field is big enough for both the Shenhua as well as UCG project to can go on simultaneously.

Dr AQ Khan is also on the mark about the Reqo Diq project. Let me remind you the case of Steel Mill privatization. It was publicised thru media that Musharraf gov’t was selling a national asset for nothing (it was actually $500-million) and that land alone was worth ten times as much. 5 years on, pray tell me where is the national asset ?

Pakistan lost $500-million and possibility of a modern steel plant. Steel Mill turned out to be a drain on the national resources. Who is going to modernize it now? Chances are that it will be scraped in a couple of years as happened to the majority of steel mills in the old Soviet bloc.

Reko Diq project appears to be going in the same direction. Tethyan Copper Company agreed to invest $3.3-billion to produce about 600,000 tons of copper concentrate per year. Because of the media noise the case is now in court, chances are the project will be delayed by another 10 years at least. Estimates of potential deposits are all ‘Estimates’ only. Negotiated terms are not the fault of the firm but of the greed of the people who negotiated.

However by if a negotiated deal is cancelled, we risk not having any development at all! Mines are located at a remote location which is difficult to access and that is why it is possible that the potential remains a ‘Potential’ till eternity without ever being realized.

There you have it, jist of Pakistani psyche, if we can’t make money, we won’t let anyone else make money either and to hell with the national interest.

@All-Green

Sir your points regarding Nuclear programme & the various scientists collaboration is extremely right but regarding the energy production via coal & the extraction of precious gold/copper I feel are invalid.

One must acknowledge that our scientists back in nuke programme were highly technical people being educated abroad & having worked in respective foreign firms; they had vast amounts of experience too.

But when you talk about copper/gold & coal AQK is right!! In engineering universities as far as I know we don't have such technical cream to undertake such mega projects. We don't have foreign educated people needed for mining & processing such fields. One important aspect is DRILLING & we don't have any req. machinery or people in this very field (DRILLING isn't much important in Uranium extraction & is very important with respect to copper/gold).

We must have Chinese to take care of our energy/mineral requirements. For future deals Pakistan government can arrange Pakistani students/engineering. & other to work in parallel with Chinese companies but not at their own!

This is a clear dig at Dr Samar Mubarakmand without naming him. This is unfair slur on a very competent scientist.

Pakistani atomic bomb was a team effort. I have full respect for Dr AQ Khan but he has been darling of the media whereas contribution of Dr Samar Mubarakmand and his team has gone largely unnoticed. Dr AQ Khan is a metallurgist and metallurgists don't make atomic bombs, Samar Mubarakmand is a nuclear physicist and nuclear physicists are people most qualified to make nukes.

The present generation only knows Dr. Samar Mubarakmand as the other face of Pakistan's nuclear program because he happened to be Member (Technical) PAEC during the 1998 tests. That is why the responsibility for the tests rested with him.

However, the nuclear weapons program, was not headed by Samar in PAEC. It was headed by the Directorate of Technical Development's Director General, Mr. Muhammad Hafeez Qureshi.

Hafeez Qureshi reported to Chairman of PAEC, 1972-91, Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan who was heading the entire nuclear program, both on the peaceful and weapons side which included the nuclear weapons design, development and testing teams and all the various projects comprising the nuclear fuel cycle from uranium exploration, mining and refining, conversion, fuel fabrication, reprocessing, power and plutonium production and research reactors, training, R&D and nuclear medical, bio-technology and human resource development and nuclear related engineering infrastructure, design and fabrication projects.

These made up the enriched uranium and plutonium routes to the bomb and all this infrastructure was built from 1972 to the early 1990s.

Dr. Samar was heading two groups in DTD, the Diagnostic Group (which dealt with cold and hot tests) and the Neutron Group. However, he did become the founder Director-General of NDC and of NESCOM.

Other key figures in DTD were Dr. Zaman Sheikh who designed and built the explosive lenses for the bomb; Dr. Riazuddin and Dr. Masud Ahmad who developed the theoretical designs of the bombs and miniaturized them as leaders of the Theoretical Physics Group in PAEC; Dr. Mansoor Beg who was incharge of the precision manufacturing of the device's various components; and Anwar Ali who dealt with computers and trigger electronics.

On PAEC's fuel cycle side, Dr. N A Javed headed the Khushab heavy water project, and Sultan Bashir Mahmood headed the Khushab reactor project who had earlier launched the Kahuta enrichment project in 1974-75. Then there was Chaudhry Abdul Majid who set up the New Labs reprocessing plant project and Dr. Muhammad Shabbir who set up the Chemical Plants Complex at D G Khan without which none of the fuel cycle projects (including enrichment) could have succeeded.

At KRL, Anwar Ali and Dr. G D Alam along with Dr. Javed Mirza and Ijaz Khokhar did all the fundamental research and development work on centrifuges which enabled Pakistan to develop and run the Kahuta enrichment plant. Anwar Ali and Alam left KRL in the early 1980s and went back to PAEC over differences with A Q Khan over his attempted proliferation activities.

So the team that made it all possible in PAEC was headed by Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan who shunned publicity and refused to respond to media attacks against him, both as Chairman and after retirement. Not to forget the role of Dr. I H Usmani as Chairman PAEC during the 1960s for training hundreds of scientists and engineers from abroad

Last edited:
The present generation only knows Dr. Samar Mubarakmand as the other face of Pakistan's nuclear program because he happened to be Member (Technical) PAEC during the 1998 tests. That is why the responsibility for the tests rested with him.

However, the nuclear weapons program, was not headed by Samar in PAEC. It was headed by the Directorate of Technical Development's Director General, Mr. Muhammad Hafeez Qureshi.

Hafeez Qureshi reported to Chairman of PAEC, 1972-91, Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan who was heading the entire nuclear program, both on the peaceful and weapons side which included the nuclear weapons design, development and testing teams and all the various projects comprising the nuclear fuel cycle from uranium exploration, mining and refining, conversion, fuel fabrication, reprocessing, power and plutonium production and research reactors, training, R&D and nuclear medical, bio-technology and human resource development and nuclear related engineering infrastructure, design and fabrication projects.

These made up the enriched uranium and plutonium routes to the bomb and all this infrastructure was built from 1972 to the early 1990s.

Dr. Samar was heading two groups in DTD, the Diagnostic Group (which dealt with cold and hot tests) and the Neutron Group. However, he did become the founder Director-General of NDC and of NESCOM.

Other key figures in DTD were Dr. Zaman Sheikh who designed and built the explosive lenses for the bomb; Dr. Riazuddin and Dr. Masud Ahmad who developed the theoretical designs of the bombs and miniaturized them as leaders of the Theoretical Physics Group in PAEC; Dr. Mansoor Beg who was incharge of the precision manufacturing of the device's various components; and Anwar Ali who dealt with computers and trigger electronics.

On PAEC's fuel cycle side, Dr. N A Javed headed the Khushab heavy water project, and Sultan Bashir Mahmood headed the Khushab reactor project who had earlier launched the Kahuta enrichment project in 1974-75. Then there was Chaudhry Abdul Majid who set up the New Labs reprocessing plant project and Dr. Muhammad Shabbir who set up the Chemical Plants Complex at D G Khan without which none of the fuel cycle projects (including enrichment) could have succeeded.

At KRL, Anwar Ali and Dr. G D Alam along with Dr. Javed Mirza and Ijaz Khokhar did all the fundamental research and development work on centrifuges which enabled Pakistan to develop and run the Kahuta enrichment plant. Anwar Ali and Alam left KRL in the early 1980s and went back to PAEC over differences with A Q Khan over his attempted proliferation activities.

So the team that made it all possible in PAEC was headed by Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan who shunned publicity and refused to respond to media attacks against him, both as Chairman and after retirement. Not to forget the role of Dr. I H Usmani as Chairman PAEC during the 1960s for training hundreds of scientists and engineers from abroad

Thank you for a very informative post. My point remains that all the praise has been showered on Dr AQ Khan by the media and only very few know that a lot of hard work was done by many others who's services remain unacknowlged.

Because of his fame anything Dr AQ Khan says is treated as undisputed truth by the media & general public.

@All-Green

Sir your points regarding Nuclear programme & the various scientists collaboration is extremely right but regarding the energy production via coal & the extraction of precious gold/copper I feel are invalid.

One must acknowledge that our scientists back in nuke programme were highly technical people being educated abroad & having worked in respective foreign firms; they had vast amounts of experience too.

But when you talk about copper/gold & coal AQK is right!! In engineering universities as far as I know we don't have such technical cream to undertake such mega projects. We don't have foreign educated people needed for mining & processing such fields. One important aspect is DRILLING & we don't have any req. machinery or people in this very field (DRILLING isn't much important in Uranium extraction & is very important with respect to copper/gold).

We must have Chinese to take care of our energy/mineral requirements. For future deals Pakistan government can arrange Pakistani students/engineering. & other to work in parallel with Chinese companies but not at their own!

Salaams

I have made two distinct arguments regarding two distinct cases which A Q Khan has bombarded as a whole, all the while dismissing the scientists as having little to no knowledge of what they were saying.

Thar Coal Gasification pilot project is a very positive development and in no way have these "other" scientists barred any Chinese company from operating here, nor have they given any false hope.
They want to run a pilot project to substantiate the facts and that is not something which A Q Khan can take a hit at by saying that PAEC always claims but never delivers.
Dr. Samar and his team is being very methodical about it so let them try this approach.
Many nuclear physicists of many countries work abroad but that does not mean their home countries can make nuclear bombs, it takes a lot more and we had that in us, so we should not give up so easily.
It is shameful of A Q Khan to be so selfish by making such comments.

The Reqo Dik project needed participation of Pakistani experts in evaluation and finalization of any proposal.
We do have processing, mining and drilling experts and we can also hire consultants from any country; However an organized and highly technical team is necessary to make sense of the various inputs.
You need to assess the Capex and Opex projection given by the foreign firms against each part of the operation they are going to run and also have a deep understanding of the technical limitations/capabilities which have a direct bearing on the cost.
Also you need to assess whether parts of the operation can be done in-house and in what manner.
Maybe drilling can be given to one firm and mining/processing be done in-house?
But no one evaluated this.

There are a lot of maybes in this case, however the core of the problem is lack of transparency due to which we are going to give significant returns of the mine to the foreign firms on a very long term lease/commitment without much scrutiny.
I am sure we can evaluate many Chinese firms as well to help us in this regards, however the issue is with who will do the technical evaluation and in what manner will this be done to ensure that our interests are met.

Certainly a parliamentary committee will not be as much capable to dissect the proposals submitted to GOP on technical grounds, on the other hand our Scientists will prove to be much better at understanding the whole thing and giving solid recommendations to the government.
Our scientists have been heavily involved in geological surveys and mineral procurement, it will be foolish not to take their input.

A few years ago nobody believed that Reqo Dik was given away for a 30 year old lease with mining rights awarded to a foreign company and only 25% of share to be given to Baluchistan government.
However this was found to be true, so i say that at least we know this was all done below the radar.
No harm in finding out the truth before handing someone over your goldmine for decades with mining rights and not just a drilling contract.

Cherry on top is that most probably the rate of mined gold/copper is fixed till the lease expiry...
The way gold price is on the rise, you can well imagine the increasing margin of profit which the firm will enjoy for decades.

^^
Cherry on top is that most probably the rate of mined gold/copper is fixed till the lease expiry...
The way gold price is on the rise, you can well imagine the increasing margin of profit which the firm will enjoy for decades.

HMMMMM...Food for thought

This thread is becoming a PR campaign for Dr Sb and PAEC rather than any thing else. I can’t understand how past achievements are related to an advanced and sophisticated mining project and I hope we all start to see through this. Can we get our head out of gutter and leave both A.Q Khan and Samer and go for someone who actually knows what this business is all about. Dr Sabihuddin Bilgrami internationally acclaimed geologist (former Head RDC ) also suggested that we don’t have the required expertise’s and resources to undertake such a massive project and supports bringing in firms with experience and financial resources.Its truly a amazing opportunity knocking on our door which must not be wasted over ignorance, remember the interests of the state supersedes everyone.

Back
Top Bottom