What's new

Does Pakistan have a future ?

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
http://tribune.com.pk/story/576071/does-pakistan-have-a-future/

Just imagine if a comatose patient close to you was in the intensive care unit and despite every attempt to revive him, you keep getting reports of organ failure. You have changed many doctors, medicines, methods, even hospitals, but nothing bears fruit. What do you do next? While you pray for the patient, you slowly start convincing yourself to plan for the funeral.

Many compare Pakistan’s present sorry state with the plight of this patient. One minute Osama bin Laden is caught, the next terrorists are blowing themselves in order to kill as many of us as possible. Then, there are reports of drone attacks, targeted attacks on foreigners, an economy in blues, the Abbottabad Commission Report leak and the BBC report on the MQM and its chief. Pakistan’s integrity then is like a military academy. Parts of it keep passing out. Does it have any future then?

When the Hamoodur Rehman Commission Report was published by an Indian newspaper without being officially declassified in Pakistan, there was a lot of hue and cry. Every state has some secrets and the right to keep them, or so it is believed. But that was then. Now, when the Abbottabad Commission’s pearls of wisdom are leaked to a foreign news channel, should we be worried?

Perhaps, a state’s power is not in question here. It has more to do with the relationship between new technologies, a state’s inability to master them and a workforce that can revolt anytime. Those responsible for leaking the report should be found out and punished (I say it out of pure spite. Hey, they could have sold the report to a Pakistani media organisation, but no, they had to leak it to a foreign group). But those who kept the report a secret should also be questioned. The magnus opus created by the Commission hardly merits such secrecy.

The economy again seems a big reason behind our state’s gradual meltdown. When you don’t have money, you start failing in every area of governance. Fortunately, for us, the current government and the opposition have a good understanding of the situation and hence are focusing mainly on the economy. Meanwhile, Pakistan has reached an agreement with the IMF. And while everybody keeps saying that the IMF can only create more trouble and never offer solutions, this government seems confident that this time it will work.

Pakistan’s territorial integrity and unstable democracy are often identified as a few more areas of concern. While it is true that there are two insurgencies going on in the country and Balochistan’s situation is reaching a critical level, simultaneously, there is an effort to win back the parties that want separation. The process hasn’t started yet and there is huge resistance from the status quo forces within the province but even this can be resolved. Also, it must be pointed out that Balochistan is not like East Pakistan where there wasn’t any geographical contiguity. The situation is not yet beyond repair.

Should the biggest worry then be about the war on terror? We have fought this war for over a decade and without a road map. We have to worry about its outcome and the fact that even the outcome can have a long-lasting impact. The government, our deep state and the opposition need to work together to find a solution. Imran Khan’s decision to leave the country at a time when the government wanted to bring all stakeholders on one table to try to find a solution is not encouraging. But if that changes, a focus on finding solutions will help this country a lot.

As for democracy, I have no doubt that it can take care of itself. We have been worrying for no reason. So, where is the doom and gloom situation? Yes, the current situation is bad but it isn’t life threateningly bad. If we maintain course, our friend will soon come out of coma.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 13th, 2013.

IMO Pakistan has a future. A rather bright one, PROVIDED it is willing to change from the way it is going currently.

It has a good future provided it takes drastic steps to do the following:

1- Change its victim mentality. To the liberals, it will give a reason to whine while to the radicals, it will give a reason to Talibanize.

2- Change its governmental structure. Parliamentary democracy is a failure in entire South Asia including my country. This form of governance has no accountability and instead of one tyrant, there are 500 of them calling the shot and looting the country day and night.

3- See beyond the historical baggage it carries. Whether it is Khiljis or the Mughals or what not, Pakistan hasn't come out of glorifying Turkics and Iranian invaders, none of which have been theirs to call whether by religion or otherwise. The mentality has to change from those days to what lies ahead. Respecting the past is good but living in it, is going to do more damage than good.

4- Prioritize its education: It is appalling to see the level of nonsense that is taught in history books of Pakistan against non-Muslims. That has to change. While history is a very murky subject, it certainly doesn't have to be politically motivated. In my country also, history is polluted by Nehruvian nonsense of suicidal proportions.

Get more into science and technology, aim for a Manufacturing economy rather than a service oriented economy.

ANY world power if you see, never was a service economy. My country India too is a victim of this. All superpowers have to be able to manufacture, technologically peak and produce enough resources and finished goods to shut people's mouths up.

5- Look towards a new future with India. There's no use of this bickering as it would only put you in a dire situation. Fighting will get you no result.

We don't want your country but just manage our own well.

It would be better if you adopt the same policy.

While your civilization and ours can never be good friends, but we don't have to hate each other.

Japan and China also hate each other but are they blowing each other up? NO.

That's the way to go.

Yesterday I read about @Abu Zolfiqar coming back to Pakistan after getting his MBA in the US.

That is a good sign.

But the posts of the others trying to help him, in terms of their despondency with regard to good jobs, employability, salaries, wastay, etc. left a worrying aftertaste.

That's not a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Op-Ed in Express Tribune?

We have problems, no doubt. But there's no question of a future. We have risen from wars, terrorist attacks, global sanctions and more. Democracy is stabilizing further, the economy is still shaky but atleast the PPP is gone and KPK has PTI.

Things are looking up, not down, for Pakistan.

If you need to learn anything about Pakistan, you must first learn that we are a very resilient bunch, baray dheet hain.

Been reading this doom and gloom shyte since I was born...and my parents tell me they've been hearing it since they were born...so Express Tribune can put this pessimism up their backside.

Thank you Express Tribune.

My feeling is that Pakistan today is like Germany after World War II i.e. totally destroyed in terms of Economy and infrastructure and just like Germany we will rebuild our Nation to great heights.

We are basically lazy people and we let things get bad but now we are waking up slowly.

Look where China was 30 years ago.

It may take few decades but we have the potential to rise.

Yes we do have a future, but does it matter if its a dark or bright future? Until and unless they dont change the things around, we will be sitting in the dark future, as we do today.
Every institute of the country needs to be revived and re structured as per the demands of modern society. Yesterday I was reading up on NAB, that the future of this institute is also on the edge, they have highly politicised this organization too.

If you need to learn anything about Pakistan, you must first learn that we are a very resilient bunch, baray dheet hain.

Been reading this doom and gloom shyte since I was born...and my parents tell me they've been hearing it since they were born...so Express Tribune can put this pessimism up their backside.

Thank you Express Tribune.

Oh yes, Pakistan does have a future - definitely.

But as our parents and our experience shows, that future may or may not be as bright as it could be. Look at how things slowly keep getting worse in certain areas while we try to improve certain other areas.

My feeling is that Pakistan today is like Germany after World War II i.e. totally destroyed in terms of Economy and infrastructure and just like Germany we will rebuild our Nation to great heights.

We are basically lazy people and we let things get bad but now we are waking up slowly.

Look where China was 30 years ago.

It may take few decades but we have the potential to rise.

The Obvious is that we are not the Chinese - on the other hand, why do we have to be Chinese to simply awaken??

There may be a time when we will look upon the whole Islamism misery as our "Cultural Revolution and Great Leap Forward" and Islamicans as "Red Guards" but for that to happen, leadership must assert a new direction and a denunciation of the social and political engineering effort that was islam-ism.

Back
Top Bottom