What's new

Does Indian Army have a caste problem?

Yasser76

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So looks like there was an issue with Officers eating better food than Jawans according to Rahul Gandhi. It also seems that some regiments do not accept Indians of a certain caste. Is this true? Shocking if so, and can explain a lot about low morale.

Rahul Gandhi questions food to jawans—on the lines of Global Times
Deepika Anjna
12th September 2020
Congress MP from Wayanad, Rahul Gandhi asked in the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence why different food is served to the officers and jawans of the Indian Army who are stationed at the borders.

This was the 12th meeting of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence and it was the first time that Rahul Gandhi attended the meeting. The senior Congress leader has attacked the Modi government several times for various matters related to defence including LAC conflict and Rafale jets.

It doesn't look a coincidence that Rahul Gandhi is concerned about the ration supply of the Indian Army at the same time when editor-in-chief of the Global Times, a Chinese government mouthpiece, used the same agenda to disparage India by tweeting about it. In his tweet, the editor taunted India over the "hot meals" served to the soldiers of the PLA frontline in comparison to the "cold canned food."

The editor-in-chief, Hu Xijin shared a video of the Chinese Army's food supply and wrote: “With these drones, the PLA’s frontline soldiers can enjoy hot meals once winter reaches the plateau. Some sympathize with the nearby Indian soldiers who can only eat cold canned food and have to endure the severe cold and potential spread of COVID-19”.

The understanding of China's Communist Party and Global Times with the Congress party seems instant. Rahul Gandhi used the same agenda in the Parliamentary meeting that the editor-in-chief of Global Times used to belittle India. Recently Chinese mouthpiece Global Times had used the Congress' agenda to attack the Modi government by questioning India's move in Ladakh to put pressure on India.

Global Timesb had published an article on September 5 in which it used the Congress party's allegations to attack the Modi government.

The article was written to give an indirect message to the BJP government that a single wrong move in the Ladakh standoff will result in the deposing of the BJP government.

This understanding of the Communist Party in China and the Congress party goes way back in 2008 when both the parties had signed a deal for exchanging confidential information to Beijing.

The memorandum of understanding (MoU) provided both the parties, “opportunity to consult each other on important bilateral, regional and international developments”.

This MoU was signed by Rahul Gandhi in the presence of Sonia Gandhi, president of the Congress party, and on the Chinese side, Xi Jinping signed the MoU who was vice-president of China at that time.

Rahul Gandhi and Chinese officials had met several times during the standoff between India and China on the Doklam issue. He tried to keep his meetings secret but Gandhi accidentally revealed in 2019 during a speech about his meeting with Chinese officials in 2018 on his Kailash Mansarovar visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the interaction of the pilots and engineers, ground crew of the Su30MKI when they came to the UK and i would say they have a caste problem. I saw a Su30MKI pilot nearly slap a ground crew person with the back of his hand while standing underneath a wing, but he managed to stop himself just about, the ground crew did not like or objected to what was asked of him or the manner it was asked of him from the pilot and resisted and the pilot didnot like it at all.

I was with some other british aviation nerds, and we all found the interaction very odd. I understood what was going on, but they did not, and I did not go into any further at all.

This was with people working at a top Su30MKI squadron in 2007 when they came to RIAT for a static display and "display" ( which was 1 circle of the airfied, and a straight pull up before he dissappeared).....

You may try and argue that this is indiscipline issue, but the manner in which the pilot reacted, had tones of caste in it...

It was at that point, that It became apparent to me, that the IAF would never be a threat to the PAF ... and everything i have seen to date, reinforces that fact.

Last edited:
Cast is real issue in India. Even some muslims have indirectly taken it as a cultural thing. Like female genital mutilation is practised by some African Muslims as a religious thing.

Apparently Sikh Light Infantry is only open to Mazhabi Sikhs.

So looks like there was an issue with Officers eating better food than Jawans according to Rahul Gandhi. It also seems that some regiments do not accept Indians of a certain caste. Is this true? Shocking if so, and can explain a lot about low morale.
Their presidents guard is biggest example of caste system in indian army

Indian army continues the racist regiments of british era based on marital race theory. While pakistan uses the names of its provinces for its regiments india is too afraid if it uses its states name it will cause a break up. So it has names like jat regiment, rajput regiment. THe president guard allows only rajputs and jats. If that is not racism I dont know what it is. but indians even the "liberal" ones think it is cute and offer some convoluted justifications @Joe Shearer

it will not sound good
uterakhand regment
tripura regement
goa regment (bikini regment )
bengal regment (fishy )
chattisarang regement (daku)

So looks like there was an issue with Officers eating better food than Jawans according to Rahul Gandhi
This is more like us Indians basing our arguments/narrative on Bilawal Bhutto's statements
I saw the interaction of the pilots and engineers, ground crew of the Su30MKI when they came to the UK and i would say they have a caste problem. I saw a Su30MKI pilot nearly slap a ground crew person with the back of his hand while standing underneath a wing, but he managed to stop himself just about, the ground crew did not like or objected to what was asked of him or the manner it was asked of him from the pilot and resisted and the pilot didnot like it at all.

I was with some other british aviation nerds, and we all found the interaction very odd. I understood what was going on, but they did not, and I did not go into any further at all.

This was with people working at a top Su30MKI squadron in 2007 when they came to RIAT for a static display and "display" ( which was 1 circle of the airfied, and a straight pull up before he dissappeared).....

You may try and argue that this is indiscipline issue, but the manner in which the pilot reacted, had tones of caste in it...

It was at that point, that It became apparent to me, that the IAF would never be a threat to the PAF ... and everything i have seen to date, reinforces that fact.
Surprisingly, most pdf pakistanis have had military level engagements with Indian military personnel given their stories on pdf which are ofcourse negatively portraying India. When it comes to other issues...most have stated they visited India and how pathetic it is. Kinda weird given you don't see such statements from Indians and also how pdf pakistanis were able to easily secure Indian visas

Good news ... looks like we will likely see a mutiny before the Indian Army ever steps onto the battlefield.

There are Western TV dramas portrayal of Indian society a very famous drama called "Game of Thrones". People say the are 7 shades of brown people within subcontinent but inside India there are 47 shades of brown various skinned tones.

A reference to the OP or a source supporting a thread will be appreciated.

Cast is real issue in India. Even some muslims have indirectly taken it as a cultural thing. Like female genital mutilation is practised by some African Muslims as a religious thing.

They love saying there is caste system in Muslims too, it is a stupid interpretation.

The caste system of Hinduism is totally different, in England the surnames infer a caste, like "Smith" was a caste by profession, not a social rank. Caste does exist in different societies of the world, but it is not a classification where one is inherently inferior to another, like in Hinduism.

There may be odd examples, where odd families adhere to castes but you cannot compare it too Hinduism, it just does not exist.
Their presidents guard is biggest example of caste system in indian army
Please explain?
Thanks

Last edited:
There may be odd examples, where odd families adhere to castes but you cannot compare it too Hinduism, it just does not exist.
Sure, but like some hindu adopted practices in our weddings, etc, in some areas even Muslims might have adopted it. Like in Bihar, Sheikh Muslims don't meet dalit Muslims in a same way. Though they offer prayers in a same mosque.
Now, this is not religion. Like Afghan keeps beard, whether practising or not. Nonetheless, the discrimination level India has towards lower caste, is nauseating. See Amir Khan program on it. It is a vicious circle where lower cast can never come out on top. Sure, we don't have discrimination like that here, and hope even not in Bihar.

Sure, but like some hindu adopted practices in our weddings, etc, in some areas even Muslims might have adopted it. Like in Bihar, Sheikh Muslims don't meet dalit Muslims in a same way. Though they offer prayers in a same mosque.
Now, this is not religion. Like Afghan keeps beard, whether practising or not. Nonetheless, the discrimination level India has towards lower caste, is nauseating. See Amir Khan program on it. It is a vicious circle where lower cast can never come out on top. Sure, we don't have discrimination like that here, and hope even not in Bihar.

Yes I recognise that, but that would apply to a very tiny minority, and probably in areas where caste issue is socially strong, hence still influencing the Muslim members of society, and the converts to Islam have not changed their association with their particular caste. There are Jats among Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus, among Sikhs and especially Hindus it has a different meaning, giving them a higher rank in the caste hierarchy, but among Muslims it is a respected caste because of its association with land ownership, but still only a caste like any other with no special privilege.

I have no problem with Hindu practices that exist within our society because those practices are culturally ours. Not every practice is inherently un-Islamic, religious practice can co-exist with existing cultural practice's as long they do not conflict with the tenants of Islam, far as I am aware non of our practices conflict with Islam.

Sometimes I find people confuse Islam with Arabic cultural practices, and believe them to be Islamic. Something Islamic is what is in the Quran and Hadith, culture can have practices independent of religious origin and still be according to the rules. I think it is important to remember that, because sometimes we get too stuck into what is what. Furthermore, I personally do not see our cultural practices as Hindu but as South Asian, because those practices may have been practiced by people who were Hindu or Buddhist but they were cultural, not religious, there is a difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom