What's new

Does India Really Need to Defend the Siachen Glacier?

Ok let me rephrase my question. Suppose there was a volcano instead of Siachen glacier above the point LoC ends. What would be the reaction of India, and Pak as well. Wouldn't we be fighting on papers and table instead of mountains. THAT is the point. Ego and pride (yours or mine) ends where NATURE begins, for human survival.

Siachen is not a suicidal stationing unlike a full fledged active volcano (if thats what you mean). Maybe it is more the case for the Pakistanis since they are below the saltoro ridge and thus get the worse end of avalanches and snow drifts etc...but India is perfectly fine holding the glacier....fiscally, strategically and attritionally.

Siachen is just a tiny part of a broader question....should India and Pakistan be in such a high stakes bitter confrontation overall? As long as most people believe on both sides that and promote leaders on the back of that, Siachen will continue as a natural extension of that.

Siachen is not a suicidal stationing unlike a full fledged active volcano (if thats what you mean). Maybe it is more the case for the Pakistanis since they are below the saltoro ridge and thus get the worse end of avalanches and snow drifts etc...but India is perfectly fine holding the glacier....fiscally, strategically and attritionally.

Siachen is just a tiny part of a broader question....should India and Pakistan be in such a high stakes bitter confrontation overall? As long as most people believe on both sides that and promote leaders on the back of that, Siachen will continue as a natural extension of that.

Ok lets talk specifically Siachen as per the topic, not the whole border.

As you increase the height, temperature decreases in correlation. Lets say one degree per hundred feet. In that case IA isn't in ideal condition, PA may get some relief in that sense.

Now if India demilitrizes unconditionally, it would be a great step morally though, would Pakistan think or try to capture the heights. I don't think its feasible for Pakistan in many ways, not at least now.

So what would be the legal status of Siachen afterwards. I think both countries go one step back and make Siachen a jointly administered area, that will stick us together with UHU :D

Ok lets talk specifically Siachen as per the topic, not the whole border.

As you increase the height, temperature decreases in correlation. Lets say one degree per hundred feet. In that case IA isn't in ideal condition, PA may get some relief in that sense.

Now if India demilitrizes unconditionally, it would be a great step morally though, would Pakistan think or try to capture the heights. I don't think its feasible for Pakistan in many ways, not at least now.

So what would be the legal status of Siachen afterwards. I think both countries go one step back and make Siachen a jointly administered area, that will stick us together with UHU :D

India goes by past Pakistan behaviour when planning for the present and future. It is not encouraging, so there is no question of India demilitarising any part of what it controls....Siachen included.

We lost far more soldiers in the Kashmir insurgency and that was not even getting close to getting us to hurt in even a small way....

If Pakistan is serious, it can withdraw to pre 1947 kashmir boundary unilaterally as part of the UN resolution number 47.

I dont understand the fuss & hot air.

Just sign & withdraw. Thats what India says - Pak is unwilling to sign hence status quo

Pakistan asks to demilitarize this area because it considers it waste of finances and human lives to fight over a piece of ice that has little or no military or strategic worth. For that it needs demilitarization from both sides.

You can take pride in occupying an ice box. Just don't give us bullsh!t reasons for it.

kuch nahi. Aur na milai ga. Anyways we Pakistanis should move on.

Instead of asking Indians to demilitarize we should just carry on with status quo for now and pray for Indians to regain their long lost rationality and sanity.

If you want you can demilitarized that zone, we dont care, our money our lifes, we take care of it in that so called ice box. If you cant able to hold or spend in your outer zone of siachen, we dont want others to give advice over our holdings and policy's... Tnq

India goes by past Pakistan behaviour when planning for the present and future. It is not encouraging, so there is no question of India demilitarising any part of what it controls....Siachen included.

We lost far more soldiers in the Kashmir insurgency and that was not even getting close to getting us to hurt in even a small way.....

If Pakistan is serious, it can withdraw to pre 1947 kashmir boundary unilaterally as part of the UN resolution number 47.

Pakistan's proposal of bringing Siachen to pre 1984 is not a solution. It'll again raise the question of who'll allow for trekking. So it requires a complete solution.

Why would Pakistan withdraw to pre 1947 Kashmir boundry unilaterally. It will happen by both simultaneously under neutral umpire. What say sir.

Pakistan's proposal of bringing Siachen to pre 1984 is not a solution. It'll again raise the question of who'll allow for trekking. So it requires a complete solution.

Complete solution of Siachen needs complete mutually acceptable solution of Kashmir.

If you want to start piecemeal gestures, start in other areas first like trade.

Why would Pakistan withdraw to pre 1947 Kashmir boundry unilaterally. It will happen by both simultaneously under neutral umpire. What say sir.

Pakistan has instigated each time, be it 48, 65, kargil....on top of the militancy from 89. With that level of trust-deficit baggage there because of that, the onus is on Pakistan to make the first gesture in some way. If not withdrawal, then something else which can be discussed.

The neutral umpire from resolution 47 called for Pakistan to withdraw its forces first [1] and foremost. That is always the case with any instigation. Instigator removes first because he disrupted a certain status quo....and thus initiative to a settlement lies with him. If he is not serious, then there is no onus on the other side to give anything away to someone that violated the trust to begin with. We are not bleeding and the situation and with passing time, terms for a peace deal will only get worse for Pakistan as Indian economy and military grows. We are also completely fine with continuing status quo as long as needed, we are in no major rush. We will agree to disagree and simply build up the resources at our disposal over time to have an even stronger hand in the long run.

[1] United Nations Official Document - Read what part 1 (initial step) is and who's purview it falls under

I dont understand the fuss & hot air.

Just sign & withdraw. Thats what India says - Pak is unwilling to sign hence status quo

Can Pakistan sign a legal document when status J&K is disputed between the two. As stated above 'Complete solution of Siachen needs complete mutually acceptable solution of Kashmir.'

If you want you can demilitarized that zone, we dont care, our money our lifes, we take care of it in that so called ice box. If you cant able to hold or spend in your outer zone of siachen, we dont want others to give advice over our holdings and policy's... Tnq

I have already said this. Pakistan should carry on with status quo leaving bharatis enjoying their insanity of occupying an icebox. I never said India is the kin of state that we can expect demilitarization from. So don't demilitarize anything. Keep fooling yourself with stories of "strategic importance" Siachen.

Can Pakistan sign a legal document when status J&K is disputed between the two. As stated above 'Complete solution of Siachen needs complete mutually acceptable solution of Kashmir.'

If Pak wants the glacier to be demilitarized it should if not Pak will have to lump it because nothing is going to change - ever.

Pakistan always talked about UN resolutions. Now India is also talking the same. What is the position i mean what is Pakistan's stand now. Anyone will enlighten me please.

I have already said this. Pakistan should carry on with status quo leaving bharatis enjoying their insanity of occupying an icebox. I never said India is the kin of state that we can expect demilitarization from. So don't demilitarize anything. Keep fooling yourself with stories of "strategic importance" Siachen.

Ok the why a cry for it? If been a fool and you been a great one.. You have no rights for what we spend or do in our area... Next time tell your fellow country men to not open or speak about demilitarization of siachen...rofl

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom