What's new

Does India need Fleet of Strategic Bombers?

I repeat my question

Does India need fleet of Strategic Bombers?

NO.
I think I exprssed my opinion(s) and supporting arguments earlier already.
The idea of Strategic Bombing is unconnected to Indian Doctrines.
The Bears are useful platforms for something else now.

Acquire B52 Bombers from uncle sam :cheers:

They wont sell to anyone

Its better to create a squadron of TU22 on lease under contract to replace it by once PAK DA is ready.

Leasing Backfires is good idea however there was rumor that Russia preferred sale but India wanted to lease backfires. Lease would meant Russia being legally bound to supply spares on time regularly during lease period.

NO.
I think I exprssed my opinion(s) and supporting arguments earlier already.
The idea of Strategic Bombing is unconnected to Indian Doctrines.
The Bears are useful platforms for something else now.

I know that they are LRSLs now and I hope Tu-142s serve as LRSLs too, carrying Nirbhay and Nirbhay 2.

Leasing Backfires is good idea however there was rumor that Russia preferred sale but India wanted to lease backfires. Lease would meant Russia being legally bound to supply spares on time regularly during lease period.

The Backfire plan was still-born. Not for the reasons that you quote. INs thinking had veered away from that idea. Strategic Bombers had ceased to have importance and the ALCM era had begun.

The idea is attacking chinese shores or bases while remaining far out side their defensive zones.

That's what SSNs with cruise missiles are meant to be not bombers. The earlier can reach the east undetected and can strike with little response time (the latter even of a stealth bomber), would need cross whole China without being detected, strike and return the whole way back without being detected.
In fact the whole purpose of our SSBN developments was to get a nuclear strike capability to Chinese eastern parts and not to rely on assets used from Indian soil only. We simply have other requirements and for them fighters and in future drones will be more than enough and most likely even the better option!

That's what SSNs with cruise missiles are meant to be not bombers. The earlier can reach the east undetected and can strike with little response time (the latter even of a stealth bomber), would need cross whole China without being detected, strike and return the whole way back without being detected.
In fact the whole purpose of our SSBN developments was to get a nuclear strike capability to Chinese eastern parts and not to rely on assets used from Indian soil only. We simply have other requirements and for them fighters and in future drones will be more than enough and most likely even the better option!
You can't lauch nucear weapon at first when you engage China in a conventional war. Especially when you face a stronger nuclear power like China.

You can't lauch nucear weapon at first when you engage China in a conventional war. Especially when you face a stronger nuclear power like China.

There is nothing like a stronger nuclear power, when both sides have nukes and will go for war, both sides will be lose!

I repeat my question

Does India need fleet of Strategic Bombers?

Why ??? Didn't you get enough answers in the first place !!!!

Sometimes fan boys go haywire ;) nobody buy anything just because YOU or I think its awesome.
Clearly if there would have be any need we would have seen enough drama about that procurement too. So kindly avoid creating one.
Peace

It doesn't matter how many nukes you are dropping or receiving. Result is always the same.
1 on target is enough. 2 is good. 3 is 100% kill and rest is over kill.

With current capability and threat perception of India "NO" because it will be not worth it, India's enemies are well in reach of IA & IN strategic missiles even IAF have some standoff missiles available to do the job, and if after 10 - 15 years the need arise it will be stealth bomber not just strategic bomber.

If India is eager to have a specialized bomber for IAF then best choice will be Su-34 full back, India can have MKI type version of it and it will be able to perform variety of roles.

God forbid, if Arvind becomes our next PM, he will ask Pakistanis and Chinese to send SMS if India needs bombers or not
:omghaha::omghaha:

Stick to Topic Kindly.

You mean SSGNs,right?

However they are quite expensive (like all nuke subs) and even if we decide to have 2 to 3 SSGNs it will take time to develop and produce them.

Leasing Backfires or converting Tu-142s to LRSLs is good idea, even if it is adopted as jut stop-gap measure.

Last edited:
You mean SSGNs,right?
However they are quite expensive (like all nuke subs) and even if we decide to have 2 to 3 SSGNs it will take time to develop and produce them.
Leasing Backfires or converting Tu-142s to LRSLs is good idea, even if it is adopted as jut stop-gap measure.
And maintaining fleet of these bombers is cheap? The subs are less prone to detection then the bombers. Converting the Tu-142 is out of question as of now since IN has other plans for them. ( they are not going anywhere even though we are getting P8).

You mean SSGNs,right?

Not necessarily, any sub that can launch land attack missiles, be it through torpedo tubes like the Kilos does it, or through VLS. And we already develop them as a varient of the Arihant, so that is no issue and far more capable to attack Chinese eastern side than Bears that easily could be intercepted.

Back
Top Bottom