What's new

Does India need Fleet of Strategic Bombers?

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
1348302.jpg

Good Day Friends.

India has ability to launch nukes from land and air; soon it will have INS Arihant operational followed by 4 more SSBNs.

However India does not have Strategic Bomber/ Long Range Standoff Launcher like US, Russai and China do. (and UK did.)

My question is, does India need strategic bomber fleet of 10-15 aircrafts?

After induction of P-8 Is we can retire all Tu-142s and rearm them with Nirbhay and Nirbhay 2 ALCMs

Other option is buying Tu-22 M3 from Russia. They are some reports which confirm that India wanted to lease backfires which guaranteed supply of spares but Russia insisted on selling.

We can go for that deal again. 
@sancho > am I right about the the proposed sale of backfire?

Last edited:
Why would India need a Strategic Bomber fleet ?

We're right next door & so are the Chinese ?

Strategic Bombers are as much for payload as they are for range.

You can always use the Su-30 MKIs to fire stand-off weapons against us or the Chinese in case of conflict - They - the MKIs - can carry enough payload & have more than enough range to do the job !

How is PAKDA? 
Why would India need a Strategic Bomber fleet ?

We're right next door & so are the Chinese ?

Strategic Bombers are as much for payload as they are for range.

You can always use the Su-30 MKIs to fire stand-off weapons against us or the Chinese in case of conflict - They - the MKIs - can carry enough payload & have more than enough range to do the job !

You have a point, Man.

maybe And No
@IND151
The main Enemy OF India ( Pakistan And China ) are on its doorsteps So Now
But if india wana show its self a mighty force then maybe just for Showoff
Because Strategic bombers are a tech of world war 2 or the countries of no air defence
If You put these babies against a normal modern army You gone lose these babies in the 1st strike
Missiles are the new weapons of this era

Its all about the money u have.

When we have a defence budget of 150 billion or more we can think of these things but with paltry budget of 40 billion who can afford these??

Not required for us. We should rather focus 'more' on our fighters and next gen nuclear submarines.

The question is, what would be the targets for a bomber force? VA/VP which include industrial complexes, power generation assets, Command and Control centers, dams, airfields, missile sites, nuclear reactors and so on. Their destruction/nutralization can be assured with accurate stand off and other SS and AS missiles with very small CEPs, and therefore an expensive dedicated bomber fleet is not needed. It isn't cost effective.

Moreover, the newer category of missiles have MIRVs that can achieve what no bomber can. However, MRCAs are more cost effective since they can perform multiple tasks such as interdiction, close air support, air defence, CAPs and so on.

why would we need them??we dont have to bomb anybody in the middle east :guns:..we need more submarines than bombers..

For sec I though I opened BD section ;)

@OP : India is going to need a lot of things. And priorites are ( hoping ) in order. I dont think anybody in IAF will be willing for entire fleet of Stategic bombers unless US is selling B-2s and we have that kinda money to spare.

First thing in IAFs mind will be maintaining Sqd strength. So if MKI can do enough then no need for special purpose plane. They will stick to multirole philosophy and will try to add numbers there.

Besides YOU and I or any fanboy wishing is never a reason for purchase.
BTW if we are in dire need of anything then its subsurface fleet for IN. IAF should be good after god dam MMRCA is signed.

Last edited:
maybe And No
@IND151
The main Enemy OF India ( Pakistan And China ) are on its doorsteps So Now
But if india wana show its self a mighty force then maybe just for Showoff
Because Strategic bombers are a tech of world war 2 or the countries of no air defence
If You put these babies against a normal modern army You gone lose these babies in the 1st strike
Missiles are the new weapons of this era

We don't have LR Standoff Launchers like Backfire or Tupolev Tu-160

If we get dozen of such bombers, we can use them to launch ALCM versions of Nirbhay and its upcoming longer range versions.

Such bombers will act as force multipliers as each aircraft will be able to carry 6 to 8 Nirbhay ALCM (with 1000/ 2,000 KM range :Nirbhay 2).

MKI at max can carry only 2 Nirbhays (SU-30 can carry 2 KH-55s) and it doesn't offer that much range.

The idea is attacking chinese shores or bases while remaining far out side their defensive zones, if war takes place between us.

Or we can rearm TU-142s with Nirbhay ALCMs when all P-8 Is are inducted

Last edited:
Strategic Bombers always make ur country more formidable and optimal on security front jus like ultra range ICBMs , yes the days of bombers are gone but a new era of stealth long range bombers again popping up .
Been a grt fan of TU 160 i wud like india to try its hands on PAKDA bcoz we dont have the capacity to build it own n no one is going share that with us except the Russians(but really skeptical regarding this :what: ) . But after seeing IAF present scenario n budget i wud suggest that it sud focus only on ameliorate its fleet strength to sanctioned level with adequate no of fighters . More than above i must say we Indians really lack meticulous military palling and leadership be it our generals,commanders,scientists or industry better not to tell abt babus and netas we can never be formidable military power under the kind of democracy we have , BTW our gr8 neighboring friend already been started putting quality efforts on this regard

HTML:
http://idrw.org/?p=29011
China to build huge super nuclear bomber carrying over 200 nuclear bombs

SOURCE: CHINA DAILY MAIL

China-new-stealth-fighter.jpg

According to Russian media, China is developing a new generation of strategic bomber due to a breakthrough in technology to reduce the size of a high-temperature, air-cooled nuclear reactor.

The new type bomber will be chiense nuclear powered with shocking advanced shape and weapons. The bomber will be called H-11 bomber much superior to the existing medium-sized H-6Kbomber.

China began development of strategic bombers in the 1970s, but lacked the technology.

Through accumulation of technology for decades, it now is able to develop a strategic bomber.

However, it will take a long time to design and commission the bomber and make it combat effective.

The new nuclear strategic long-range bomber, codenamed “Light of Five Stars,” will enhance China’s nuclear deterrent to an unprecedented high, and enable China to have overwhelming air superiority.

Its cruise speed will be Mach 3.6 and it can remain flying at high speed for 3.5 months incessantly.

It can carry 170 to 210 sets of nuclear bombs depending on the density and scale of its targets.

i wish i would have born as chiense :unsure: BTW can some body tell me dat this nuclear bomber still a viable option after so much of failed trials.

Simply no need whatsoever when you have the likes of the MKI and Rafale armed with air-launched cruise missiles and when your primary threats are located on your borders.

It would be great for show off if we have 20-25 such Bombers.. But there is no practical need for these. We dont need to fight a war on the other side of the world. And even if we were to, I'll expect my Navy to do the job.. Prime focus should be to replace Migs and Mirages and Jags.. We cant afford these monsters when our Migs are falling out and the replacement is nowhere to be seen...

Back
Top Bottom