What's new

Do you remember Sabir Arif? he is now in USA on study scholarship !

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Massalis also known as Muslim Sheikhs, Choorahs who are majority Christian and Chamars or Changars who are also calledDeendars if they practice Islam.
:blink:
Never heard of any :cray: except Choorah...

Sabir admits that he faces greater discrimination than most of his “biradari” because he refused to stick to what is the generally acceptable position and career path of his caste.-
Discriminated from by his biradari?!
Good to know this part:
it is easier for people of lower castes to access schooling and get odd jobs in urban hubs as compared to rural settings, where discrimination is far higher.

Well good to hear he got a scholarship!! :tup: :tup: :tup:

repost that thread here in this one

Pakistan’s caste system: The untouchable's struggle

LAHORE: Sabir Arif, a student of finance and cost management in one of Lahore’s private institutions lives in a hut made of wood, cloth and plastic sheets. His only source of income is the private tuitions he provides to others to keep his makeshift home intact.

The son of a daily wager, Sabir is not a typical victim of abject poverty in the city. Reminiscing about how he read Russian literature when he came across old story books while picking garbage in class seven, Sabir says his great challenge in life has been his caste – that he was born a Deendar Changar – Pakistan’s version of the ‘untouchables’.

Contrary to popular belief, caste in Pakistan has been a means of systematic discrimination. The lower castes here are Pakistan’s downtrodden, including Massalis also known as Muslim Sheikhs, Choorahs who are majority Christian and Chamars or Changars who are also calledDeendars if they practice Islam. In Punjab and Sindh these include the scheduled Hindu castes that serve as farm workers and bonded laborers.

Sabir admits that he faces greater discrimination than most of his “biradari” because he refused to stick to what is the generally acceptable position and career path of his caste. Living in the slums, and being considered lowest of the low in a society fixated on high and low birth, Sabir was always at the periphery, but his decision to pursue education did not sit well with the local community.

Muhammad Arif, his father who gets labor jobs with the help of his donkey cart, says he struggled with the decision of sending his children to school, “People of our biradari said that education was not for our people, that I should make Sabir help me with daily work, but I decided against it and have not sent my younger children to work as live-in domestic helpers like others in our community or forced them into working only.”

Discouraged, discriminated against and lacking any political identity, the city is now Sabir’s home, as it is easier for people of lower castes to access schooling and get odd jobs in urban hubs as compared to rural settings, where discrimination is far higher.

Abdul Rasheed Dholka, a political activist of Mazdoor Kissan Party in Sargodha has worked with lower caste farm workers, and says that in rare cases when young men from these communities are hired as peons or clerks, they try to cut off ties with their community and hide identity to avoid discrimination.

“Decades of oppression have led to circumstances where these people don’t even know how to stand up for their rights, because there is no representation,” he adds.

Dholka’s words reflect in Sabir’s thoughts, as the young man says he sometimes feels “like the Africans in South Africa or the Jews in Nazi Germany”. However, despite the twin challenges of poverty and his birth into the bottom of the social rung, Sabir manages to remain hopeful, and talks of changing the country into a better home someday.

Haris Gazdar, Director and Senior Researcher, Collective for Social Science Research in his paper “Class, Caste or Race: Veils over Social Oppression in Pakistan” argues that caste based marginalization is common in Pakistan.

“The trouble is that the biradaris and quoms are not all equal, and public silencing of the issue is very much about perpetuating existing hierarchies. The inequality is so severe and deeply embedded in parts of the country that it is hardly even noticed.”

Last edited:
Just came across the video of the guy, whose story I shared on PDF years ago which was published and video-recorded by Tribune.

here is the recap of Sabir Arif's story..

Pakistan’s caste system: The untouchable’s struggle – The Express Tribune

and the video link Videos – The Express Tribune

and that the guy is now in USA on study scholarship...

bravo !

@Jazzbot @Aeronaut @Talon @levina @Spring Onion @A.Rafay @pkuser2k12 remember?

An inspiring story @Leader .
Hats off to Sabir!!

I loved his confidence and the honesty with which he shared his story.And he takes pride in the fact that he is indeed an "untouchable".
Pata nahi Leader,when will ppl get over their fetish of caste systems in the subcontinent.
@Marshmallow and @Armstrong dont miss this thread.

Last edited:
An inspiring story @Leader .
Hats off to Sabir!!

I loved his confidence and the honesty with which he shared his story.And he takes pride in the fact that he is indeed an "untouchable".
Pata nahi Leader,when will ppl get over their fetish of caste systems in the subcontinent.
@Marshmallow and @Armstrong dont miss this thread.

yup, he seems like a loving person..

As of now, I think we are totally unaware how cruel this discrimination is..our society itself operates to discriminate and our educational system tends to support this discrimination. To look down upon under-privileged and lower class generally is not even considered a wrong.. we feel its right.

Bh86tXSCMAE5q5U.jpg

look at this, they made the helper maid sit on the floor on Geo tv program. these fat pig aunties have no shame while sitting on sofa.. and they felt no shame while making her sit on the floor on a program of high rated tv channel.

although PTI is about to bring a legislation against domestic violence with maids, yet the problem lies in the society, not absence of law.. and this societal change is a far cry... :(

yup, he seems like a loving person..

As of now, I think we are totally unaware how cruel this discrimination is..our society itself operates to discriminate and our educational system tends to support this discrimination. To look down upon under-privileged and lower class generally is not even considered a wrong.. we feel its right.

Bh86tXSCMAE5q5U.jpg

look at this, they made the helper maid sit on the floor on Geo tv program. these fat pig aunties have no shame while sitting on sofa.. and they felt no shame while making her sit on the floor on a program of high rated tv channel.

although PTI is about to bring a legislation against domestic violence with maids, yet the problem lies in the society, not absence of law.. and this societal change is a far cry... :(

That pic shocked me.

And yes you're right,ppl think that treating the lower caste as down trodden is their right.
In India,the reservation system which was supposed to reduce the so called hiatus between the high caste and low caste, has only gone on to deepen the abyss.We detest the reservation system.
I hope we have a uniform code soon.

That pic shocked me.

And yes you're right,ppl think that treating the lower caste as down trodden is their right.
In India,the reservation system which was supposed to reduce the so called hiatus between the high caste and low caste, has only gone on to deepen the abyss.We detest the reservation system.
I hope we have a uniform code soon.

This picture boiled my blood, it still does. how awful of us.. :(

have you ever been to Sri Lanka? they are so freaking civilized people, there you feel equality between everyone..and its so damn amazing...

I hope for India and Pakistan both to get rid of this societal disease..

This picture boiled my blood, it still does. how awful of us.. :(

have you ever been to Sri Lanka? they are so freaking civilized people, there you feel equality between everyone..and its so damn amazing...

I hope for India and Pakistan both to get rid of this societal disease..

Nope,not yet.
Gotta do some globe trotting and soon.I heard SL is a beautiful and clean country.
Sri Lankans come across as friendly and never heard them talk of castes.So I am assuming what you told me about them is true. :-)
I hope it is.

Nope,not yet.
Gotta do some globe trotting and soon.I heard SL is a beautiful and clean country.
Sri Lankans come across as friendly and never heard them talk of castes.So I am assuming what you told me about them is true. :-)
I hope it is.

they are, they are just amazing people, walking angels really !

A man who used to live in slums and pick the trash for living now he is on a scholarship in USA

This man from Pakistan , who used to live in slums and pick the trash for living and now he is on a scholarship in USA.

Mohammad Sabir's Story is so so Amazing how education changed his whole life and Make's me really think that what our country need is to Improve people's self belief, and KHUDI, Once's you are no longer scared of anyone else, and accept your self how you are, You can really do and change anything in the world.
This man is proud that his Father drive's a Donkey Cart and His Mother Washes Dishes at people's home, and is not afraid to say that he is a CHOOR, Once you are on that state of mind, You can do ANYTHING ELSE you want, KNOWLEDGE will come, Money will come, but KHUDI can only come with good mentoring and good support.
Next time you see someone , Tell them you are doing great and you can do anything you want to do.

A man who used to live in slums and pick the trash for living now he is on a scholarship in USA - Pakistani Showbiz Buzz Industry | Latest News

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom