What's new

Do Pakistanis feel schadenfreude towards India's Minorities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krait Bhai,

I think you have missed my point slightly.

You say "Topic of thread is: Do Pakistan's citizen gets some sort of pleasure on seeing oppression of minorities in Indi.........coz these Muslims deserve so coz they didn't come to Pakistan?"

This is not what I said at all in the original point. I cannot imagine anyone in Pakistan feeling "these Muslims deserve it because they did not come to Pakistan". This is not the point. This has nothing to do with anyone coming or going to Pakistan. This has nothing to do with any feeling of anybody "deserving" any bad thing.

The point is more subtle and the emotions are more mixed. And that is precisely why the word schadenfreude was imported into the English language in the first place, as the word describes these subtle, conflicting feeling very aptly and accurately. Still further, that is why I used the word in the original post and also in the title.

Please look up the word "schadenfreude" and you may get a better understanding of how subtle the matter is.

Schadenfreude is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. This German word is used as a loanword in English.

Misfortunes of minorities especially Indian Muslims and pleasure of enjoying it

I got it right and I just added the reason behind this feeling, the most logical one. Prime reason why they enjoy it- coz those Muslims didn't come with us and opted to stay in India. Isn't it the first reason that pops in anyone's mind.

Second major reason may be yours'. Better we didn't stay with India looking at their minorities misfortunes.

But lets move on...

@imam bhukhari
there is another possibility where indian minority wants to think that their position as an indian is better than those who made seperate country for themselves and they want to highlight bad things happening in pakistan

@imam bhukhari
there is another possibility where indian minority wants to think that their position as an indian is better than those who made seperate country for themselves and they want to highlight bad things happening in pakistan
We have agreed to not to discuss what Indian thinks....just discussing on what Pakistani people think..let it be that way...otherwise this thread may ruin.

@imam bhukhari
Yes, I observed Indian muslims are the most vicious critic of pakistan and separation.

Schadenfreude is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. This German word is used as a loanword in English...

Yes, but the pleasure is not derived directly. If the pleasure were derived directly from the suffering of others, it would be called "Sadism".

The point is a subtle one.

For it to be called "schadenfreude", the pleasure has to be derived indirectly. The pleasure lies not in the suffering of others per se, but in the positive validation that suffering indirectly offers the person indulging in schadenfreude.

So the emotions are often conflicting. For example, some Pakistanis may genuinely have felt sympathy for Sikhs who were killed during the 1984 Dehli riots. That part is human. But underneath that genuine sympathy, there is sometimes a feeling of joy. The joy does not some from seeing Sikhs being killed, it comes from the indirect implication "I was right... See, I told you so.... I am now validated".

I don't know how to explain it more than this. Schadenfreude is not Sadism. Sadism is taking pleasure in the pain & suffering of others. Sadism is a crude emotion and often a symptom of childhood abuse. Schadenfreude is much more sophisticated, complex and subtle. And it is something almost every human being has indulged in, to some extent or another, and at some time or another.

To confuse Schadenfreude with Sadism would be to miss the point of this thread altogether.

^^ Why are you hiding link to your starter post?

I am sure after reading this part of your post many will withdraw their thanks they gave to your first post.. Anyways, schadenfreude, if it exists, is lamentable at first place..
I dont think Indian majority want to see pakistanis doing worse, that hardly invalidates two nation theory.
What Indian majority would wish (the equivalent schadenfreude) is lack of cohesion in pakistan based on religion and more regional nationalism. Creation of bangladesh is one such event we feel good about. :)

that's what i wrote , pleasure derived on knowing the misfortunes, where as Sadism is considered type of action to cause pain and suffering.

Pakistani people are not doing anything sadistic coz of sadism one has to perform or part or witnessing the act of causing pain

Wiki definition- Sadism is the derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain or watching pain inflicted on others.Inflicting means direct, physical act or watching.....

But one can argue sadism is more cruel like you did....

You just want to dial down the scale of pleasure on watching sufferings of other.

Lets move on...

I dont think Indian majority want to see pakistanis doing worse, that hardly invalidates two nation theory.
What Indian majority would wish (the equivalent schadenfreude) is lack of cohesion in pakistan based on religion and more regional nationalism. Creation of bangladesh is one such event we feel good about. :)

Hinduguy Bhai,

"What Indian majority would wish (the equivalent schadenfreude) is lack of cohesion in pakistan based on religion and more regional nationalism. Creation of bangladesh is one such event we feel good about" IS one form of what I meant when I said "Pakistanis are not doing well".

I am sure that you, as one individual, are not really speaking for the "majority" of 1.2 Billion people. You are speaking for yourself. And the fact that your individual wish for "lack of cohesion. regional nationalism... Bangladesh...another Bangladesh" in Pakistan is exactly the schadenfreude I was talking about.

Your interest is not primarily in "breaking-up Pakistan". That is not your real wish. Your real wish is to seek Validation that they two-nation theory is not true. The breaking-up of Pakistan provides you with that validation. Therefore, you wish for it. See what I mean? The indirectness and mixed nature of the desire is the key point to note here.

Shocked to see the guy who opened this thread had 'Imam' in his name!

Secularism is actually misunderstood on your side of the boarder and yes Pakistan is not a secular state and we don't claim it.. And FYI Islam gives full rights to minorities, so please be heard.

I am just stating other side of coin. don't take that earnestly.... Its a human nature after-all, right?

Are you trying to say a state based on religion oppresses minorities?

If I were a non Muslim in newly created Pakistan, this is how I would react to your statements.

I am not interested in what provisions are there in Islam. Should I care ? I want the country I live in to make provisions and treat me as an equal citizen irrespective of my religion irrespective of what is the interpretation of Islam.

State based on religion by definition is not equal to all. Why use provisions of Islam, why not use provisions of Bible?

You are violating your own statement you made in post number 2.. Secularism is actually misunderstood on your side of the boarder and yes Pakistan is not a secular state and we don't claim it.. And FYI Islam gives full rights to minorities, so please be heard.

A theocratic state can never ensure equal rights.

It's the same thing in India, when you talk about our Hindu minorities

Here I must disagree with you. Please see my response to your previous post:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...-towards-indias-minorities-2.html#post3213582

The mirror-image of Indian schadenfreude is not directed toward our Pakistani Hindus or other minorities. It is directed toward the whole of Pakistan and then compared to their minorities, only in the "reverse" sense-- as I explain in my post lined above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom