What's new

Discuss best ways to develop Bangladesh

The most important : Basic (or intermediate) military training must be made mandatory for all male teenagers when they reach 18 years of age :

that is 17 lac more to train per year... That is huge!!

not for long. . It is obvious that in near future we have to compete against India and Myanmar for Gas and Oil in the bay of bengal.. Government of Bangladesh is aware of that and will be going through rapid naval procurement making it almost equivalent to Pakistan navy... And about one child policy neither Awamileague nor BNP will take this decision as it will reduce their popularity..

There is oil and gas in Bay of Bengal, I was not aware of that. Correct me if I am wrong , but if the oil fields are located in international waters it belongs to everyone.

Govt moved away from drastic population control. One of the minister yesterday night accepted this fact. Their long term strategy is to fill in blanks by the Bengalis worldwide.

That would be disaster for BD. Hope GoB, puts reason before popularity.

Govt moved away from drastic population control. One of the minister yesterday night accepted this fact. Their long term strategy is to fill in blanks by the Bengalis worldwide.

OMG! Was he serious? Population control almost like a pre-requisite for Bangladesh's long term prosperity. I hope we get less ministers losing themselves in dreams.

That would be disaster for BD. Hope GoB, puts reason before popularity.

How would it be disaster. Current fertility rate is 2.7 which will be even lower after the new census comes out. Current average household member is 4.5. We will witness negative population growth if fertility rate comes down to 2.2 which is not desirable anymore considering the number of people leaving overseas every year.

OMG! Was he serious? Population control almost like a pre-requisite for Bangladesh's long term prosperity. I hope we get less ministers losing themselves in dreams.

Lots of evil thing you will not understand for the betterment of the race. It does not work arithmatically.

Lots of evil thing you will not understand for the betterment of the race. It does not work arithmatically.

Yeah, 160 million + population and counting for a small and poor country like Bangladesh is okay. Right :rolleyes:

How would it be disaster. Current fertility rate is 2.7 which will be even lower after the new census comes out. Current average household member is 4.5. We will witness negative population growth if fertility rate comes down to 2.2 which is not desirable anymore considering the number of people leaving overseas every year.

Are you certain that data includes the rural regions? Please confirm. Because the majority of the population come from rural areas.

And actually, they did address the population issue in the past. The upper and middle class families went along with it. The rural areas didn't.

Most of those rural people pull rickshaws and the like in Dacca.

The solution is to give them 'incentives'. The bottom line is, as long as the population keeps growing like now, it'll only add more strains in the long term. Especially in rural areas.

I made this comment based on the size of your country. BD has 1127 persons/square km making it the 9th most populous country in the world. The countries occupying places from 1-8 are small, financially well off, first world countries making BD the odd one out. If this is not a disaster, then what is?

I'm not defending my country either. With 2nd biggest population we are on the 33rd place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density

Are you certain that data includes the rural regions? Please confirm. Because the majority of the population come from rural areas.

And actually, they did address the population issue in the past. The upper and middle class families went along with it. The rural areas didn't.

Most of those rural people pull rickshaws and the like in Dacca.

The solution is to give them 'incentives'. The bottom line is, as long as the population keeps growing like now, it'll only add more strains in the long term. Especially in rural areas.

I have to go to my village home once in a while. I hardly sees any familly more than 3 kids anymore. If somebody takes more than 2 then other village women comes forward to talk about it.

That is what my experience is.

I made this comment based on the size of your country. BD has 1127 persons/square km making it the 9th most populous country in the world. The countries occupying places from 1-8 are small, financially well off, first world countries making BD the odd one out. If this is not a disaster, then what is?

I'm not defending my country either. With 2nd biggest population we are on the 33rd place.

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its been a densely populated area since ancient time due to fertile land and abundance of livelyhood. We have what we got and now we need to use it in our favor. That was my logic. I am not suggesting 3% growth rate but a growth rate of .5-1% should do.

Its been a densely populated area since ancient time due to fertile land and abundance of livelyhood. We have what we got and now we need to use it in our favor. That was my logic. I am not suggesting 3% growth rate but a growth rate of .5-1% should do.

Large population is good for an agricultural economy as there will be more hands working the fields and hence more productivity. At least this was the case before. Now with increasing industrialization in the agricultural sector, a man with a tractor can do what a group of 50 persons did before. So there will be massive surplus population which cannot be fully absorbed into industries. Also is the need for housing. You cannot everyone to expect to build house in non-arable land, so a large amount of fertile soil will be lost.
Large population is not something we can be proud of.

@ The way Indian BSF is killing our people every day in the border areas, we have to continue to increase our population. That is the only solution for some decades.

@ See, in Pakistan in 1971 their population was less than our population and now they have increased their population. Over population is also helpful for a country like Bangladesh as well as our economy. We can export these population to other countries as what not ? At present we have almost a crore people working in various countries. Now, if we can increase this upto 5 crores than "Kella Fete".

@ Our country is a fertile land. For centuries together we are hearing that our population is curse to our economy but now see our GDP in increasing at a faster rate. It is to some extent due to surplus population. "Necessity knows no law". So, the areas which were supposed to be annexed with the then East Pakistan in 1947 like some portion of Assam(Karimganj), Malda, Murshidabad, Kuch Bihar etc were to taken away back either through discursion or by force !!!!!!!

@ Every alternate year either we are facing blood or tidel surge or cyclone so we need to continue this operation !!! In future more disasters(earth quake) are likely specially after the envirenment change in this region. And in this way the surviver will continue to bear the flag of our country with identity.

What is the volume of people leaving Bangladesh every year??

Back
Top Bottom