GlobalVillageSpace

Media Partner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Disability is not Inability
Global Village Space |

Ishaq Ali |

Pakistan, while contributing 10 per cent of its total populace, has one of the largest disabled populations in the world. One of the biggest problems that people with disabilities face in this country is that the social and cultural environment is not conducive to them. The situation is further aggravated by society’s attitude towards them. Although, according to Disabled Persons (Employment and Rehabilitation) Ordinance of 1981, 2-3% quota for the disabled people in government jobs is there, but that is not sufficient. To bring these special people of society economically at par with all the “able” people, it is necessary for the government to devise certain concrete strategies and help them with their lives.

The severity of one’s disability does not determine his level of potential and being disabled does not mean that one will never do contribute to the society like a common person. These disabled people do not have any hope of miracle from the government. They just seek proper measures and planning to create more opportunities for themselves, making us realize time and again that disability is not inability.

Read more: Autism Awareness Day – Unique, Not Retarded!

One of the many such stories is that of Muhammad Ebrahim.

The story of Muhammad Ebrahim

Muhammad Ebrahim’s dream of joining Pakistan Army shattered when he got completely paralyzed due to the negligence of a doctor, injecting him with a wrong dose. He was suffering from Arthritis, and this incident occurred during one of his regular check-ups. Ebrahim, at that time, was one of the brilliant students of his college.

He was taken to every single hospital in Quetta and also the famous Agha Khan Hospital, Karachi with the hope of recovery, but all efforts were in vain.

“I had been suffering from severe body pain when I was completely on bed rest from 2002 till 2011 and the only medicine I was taking were the usual pain killers.”
– Muhammad Ebrahim

When asked about his recovery as all the doctors had lost hope, he said that he had reverted to meditation and spiritualism which never let his confidence waver and that he never give up the hope of living. He said, “After hundreds of attempts I succeeded to walk a mere 4 to 5 meters’ distance in more than 3 hours due to the feeling of severe pain in my whole body.”

Read full article

Disability is not Inability

Pakistan has many amazing stories and this is one of them. If only we could get our government now in order to help provide the framework in which people can accomplish all they need.

10% of our population is disabled? What kind of disabilities are we talking about here?

10% of our population is disabled? What kind of disabilities are we talking about here?

Back
Top Bottom