What's new

Diplomat Devyani Khobragade leaves US for home

your government takes hostages from allied countries. Are you proud for that?

Stop quoting me, I am not going to waste my time answering you. My initial assertion about you was right.

I don´t know...India was always italy friend. I hope they start to realize that and be better towards us. We never did anything bad to them. And i hope they realize that.

Indian treat their cow better than they treat their women, don't expect too much from the Indian, you be disappointed.

She is married to an American. However, I think her chance of getting U.S citizenship effectively ends here.

Next time an Indian diplomat will think twice before lying in a Visa application.

Stop quoting me, I am not going to waste my time answering you. My initial assertion about you was right.

No it is not. You have no clue how hurtful all that for us is. And it takes no end and goes since months now and still no end...you have no clue how that feels for relatives. I'm disappointed. Why is india acting tzat way to italy and doesn't help to solve that? Can you understand how that feels? it makes us sad and pushs italy down and is a burden. Seeing how fast india handles that incident in usa and then realize how they let us wait and wait and wait is hard to understand. ..

if india shows mercy in our case i promise you it will get endless sympathy here.

Indian treat their cow better than they treat their women, don't expect too much from the Indian, you be disappointed.
don 't use me for your generalisations. i have nothing against india.

She is married to an American. However, I think her chance of getting U.S citizenship effectively ends here.

Next time an Indian diplomat will think twice before lying in a Visa application.

She not allow to be back in the US. Better for her to stay back India and take her family with her.

No it is not. You have no clue how hurtful all that for us is. And it takes no end and goes since months now and still no end...you have no clue how that feels for relatives. I'm disappointed. Why is india acting tzat way to italy and doesn't help to solve that? Can you understand how that feels? it makes us sad and pushs italy down and is a burden. Seeing how fast india handles that incident in usa and then realize how they let us wait and wait and wait is hard to understand. ..

if india shows mercy in our case i promise you it will get endless sympathy here.

don 't use me for your generalisations. i have nothing against india.

You have grievance against the treatment of Italian soldier by India government, just offer my advice to you not too hopeful the case will be solves with your satisfaction. Indian wanted Italian soldier committed murder face justice but they will go extra length to defend their own criminal in the US.

Last edited:
I don´t understand why indians tell me here that they can do anything with our two soldiers and treat their friend italy like a dog...but applaud theri own criminal diplomat when she runs from trial? They use double standards...
hey man, stop getting so dishonourable to yourself ..... :tsk: .... simple is that, they are cowards.

great news !! India manage to get her back. If it were other south asian countries then it was not going to happen in the dreams too !! :tup:

That is funny. India took immunity away from our ambassador when our soldiers went home.

USA should do same. Take her families passport away and lock them in prison, till she comes back and faces her trial. Same rights for all! The crimes india committs against italy should also be done to india. They should taste their own med.

Are you retarded or uneducated fool from "First world". Look at your statements . You need serious medication home boy. you are giving this rants in every post of yours , "Lock her family". What is it Sudan or your Italian mafia justice system.

Dumbass

Ms. Diplomat is forever a fugitive as far as the US justice is concerned. She (India) lost $100,000 (no biggy).

If she ever tried to enter the US again with the indictment still against her, she will be handcuffed, strip searched and body cavity examined again.

Rinse and Repeat.

Till then you can sit on your fat *** on ur new arm chair and watch some **** " cavity check".

Why are you so concerned , about her :P

I don´t understand why indians tell me here that they can do anything with our two soldiers and treat their friend italy like a dog...but applaud theri own criminal diplomat when she runs from trial? They use double standards...

Don't act like a child, your soldiers intentionally killed innocent Indian civilians(fishermen).......which is a far graver offence than this case......

You say Italy is our 'friend' but your soldiers didn't hesitate to kill their friends just for fun....

She DIDN'T leave the U.S. and she ISN'T a 'diplomat'. At the time of her crime she was a consul. And that's what her status remains as far as these charges are concerned.
State Department

Indian envoy indicted, but prosecutor says State allowing her to leave US
Published January 09, 2014
FoxNews.com

Shown here is Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade.AP

The Indian envoy at the center of a diplomatic dispute was indicted Thursday on criminal counts, but it remained unclear whether she would ever face the charges as the State Department apparently began clearing the way for her exit.

U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara initially said Thursday that Devyani Khobragade had already left the U.S. after being granted diplomatic immunity. But her lawyer, Daniel Arshack, said shortly afterward that she was still in New York.

Bharara's office then issued a brief statement clarifying her status. "In a letter sent to the Court upon the filing of the Indictment of Ms. Khobragade, we stated our understanding that she had left the country. Subsequent to the filing of the letter, Ms. Khobragade's lawyer advised that she has not, in fact, departed the U.S.," the statement said.

However, that statement also said that the State Department requested Khobragade's departure. Reuters separately reported that the U.S. government has indeed requested that she leave the U.S.

The developments indicate the Obama administration is trying to find a resolution to ease diplomatic tensions between the U.S. and India, despite the federal allegations against Khobragade. She was indicted Thursday on two counts, of visa fraud and making false statements.

The diplomat, who was working in New York, was arrested last month, accused of underpaying her housekeeper and illegally concealing it.

The Indian government, though, claimed she was subjected to inappropriate and rough treatment, and retaliated on several fronts against the U.S. -- including by hauling away security barriers outside the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi.

Bharara has defended the U.S. government's handling of the case.

Khobragade was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury in Manhattan. The indictment said Khobragade had made multiple false representations to U.S. authorities, or caused them to be made, to obtain a visa for a personal domestic worker. She planned to bring to worker the United States in September 2012 when she worked at the Consulate General of India in New York, according to the indictment.

Khobragade, 39, India's deputy consul general in New York, has maintained her innocence to accusations that she claimed to pay her Indian maid $4,500 per month but actually gave her far less than the U.S. minimum wage. Her arrest last month sparked outrage in India after revelations that she was strip-searched and thrown in a cell with other criminal defendants before being released on $250,000 bail.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Indian diplomat indicted in N.Y. maid case, ordered out

Indian diplomat indicted in N.Y. maid case, ordered out
Michael Winter, USA TODAY5:58 p.m. EST January 9, 2014
Devyani Khobragade, accused of fraudulently obtaining a work visa for her New York housekeeper, was granted diplomatic immunity and asked to leave the USA.
73TWEET 45COMMENTEMAILMORE
An Indian envoy was indicted Thursday for allegedly lying to get her New York City housekeeper a work visa, but she was granted diplomatic immunity and asked to leave the United States.

Devyani Khobragade, 39, is charged with visa fraud and making false statements. She remains free on bail.

Although the State Department and the federal prosecutor initially announced that she had left the United States, her lawyer reported later that she was still in the country, the Manhattan U.S. Attorney's office said. Her whereabouts were not disclosed.

The State Department asked Khobragade to leave the United States on Thursday afternoon. The charges will remain active until she can be brought back, either through a waiver of immunity or her voluntary return, Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara wrote in a letter to District Judge Shira A. Scheindlin.

The arrest and police treatment of Khobragade has ignited a firestorm in India and strained relations between Washington and New Delhi. On Wednesday, in a diplomatic tit-for-tat, the Indian government ordered American officials to shut down the restaurant, bowling alley and all commercial activities at the U.S. Embassy in the capital.

Khobragade was arrested Dec. 12 outside her daughter's Manhattan school and claimed she was subjected to cavity- and strip-searches. Bharara said at the time that she was never handcuffed and never subjected to a body-cavity search.

STORY: Prosecutor says strip-search of India diplomat 'standard'

STORY: Some in India urge calm in strip-search controversy

He said Khobragade was "fully searched by a female deputy marshal — in a private setting — when she was brought into the U.S. Marshals' custody, but this is standard practice for every defendant, rich or poor, American or not."

Khobragade was freed on $250,000 bail. A preliminary hearing had been scheduledfor next Tuesday.

Her lawyer, Daniel Arshack, has argued she should not face any charges and was protected by diplomatic immunity. She was deputy counsel general at the Indian consulate in New York, where she arrived in September 2012. After her arrest, she was transferred to India's mission at the United Nations.

Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid demanded that the charges be dropped, and he accused the housekeeper, Sangeeta Richard, of trying to blackmail Khobragade.

In a statement last month, Bharara, who was born in India, defended the arrest.

"It is alleged not merely that she sought to evade the law, but that she affirmatively created false documents and went ahead with lying to the U.S. government about what she was doing," Bharara said in a statement. "One wonders whether any government would not take action regarding false documents being submitted to it in order to bring immigrants into the country. ... And one wonders why there is so much outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian national accused of perpetrating these acts, but precious little outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian victim and her spouse?"

Back
Top Bottom