What's new

Diplomat Devyani Khobragade leaves US for home

Not ask to leave, US justice department already indicted the defendant, if she don't want to face criminal charge she better use her diplomat immunity and take a hike out of the US. Take her family with her on the way out.

That is the norm in diplomacy.

Sure is.

What the US have done is ensure that both sides can claim victory.

i.e @boomslang can claim that she was ordered out and the Indians can claim that she was given diplomatic immunity as demanded by India and thus was free to come back.

That's what I am wondering, if they are so sure about convicting her why let her go.

Simple. US let her go because India pressurized US. It is not like US doesn't have 'evidence' against her

A defendant can't no longer be back in the US to work as a diplomat, she either face charge or never will be seen her family again in the US.

Simple. US let her go because India pressurized US. It is not like US doesn't have 'evidence' against her

US went an extra mile to get to this point. They upgraded her immunity from a consular staff to full diplomat so that they can let her go. Then they asked Indian govt to waive her immunity, for which India politely said ' no thank you'.. & then US asked her to leave as they couldn't arrest her anymore due to changed status!

Take a hike criminal and slave owner, go back to India then she be free to own all Indian slave she want.

WHY NOW have they decided to give her diplomatic immunity ?

I guess because US courts were planning to indict her on 13th Jan. Thus a immunity before that date would save her from indictment. .

I guess because US courts were planning to indict her on 13th Jan. Thus a immunity before that date would save her from indictment. .

But on what basis ? Earlier they were saying she is just a consul and not a diplomat.

The US approved her diplomatic immunity then declared her persona non grata.
That's what should have been done in the first place........anyway, I think too much bandwidth has been wasted on this issue, we should give it a rest now......

Back
Top Bottom